2018 Blackhawks Development Camp (July 16-20 at MB Ice Arena)

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Fortin seems like one of those classic "tools but no toolbox" players. Great foot speed and solid puck skills but yet has never put up particularly impressive numbers at any level (even went undrafted despite having decent size to go along with the speed and hands).

At the current rate of his development, I'd say that his ceiling is likely bottom-6 speedster who can chip in on offense every so often.

Could anyone that has watched the kid play explain what might be holding him back (injuries or coachiing aside)?

Funny enough, Fortin seemed to have a scoring touch in Chicago during pre-season games. If he can manage to do the same this time around, I'd like to see him play a few games.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He definitely is physically immature and will put on strength and weight, but I actually think Jesper was already listed at 6' before the 2017 draft: https://thehockeywriters.com/jesper-boqvist-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Regardless Adam was listed at 5'11.5 at the combine so I don't think that height should much of a issue for him. Erik Karlsson in only half an inch taller and he's who we're all hoping that AB can become like one day.
I saw a site that listed his height/weight before the 2017 draft and that site said Jesper was at 5ft10. Problem is I don't remember what article said that, nor do I know if they had their facts up to date.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I'm the drills vs. scrimmages philosophical debate on what is best in development camps,we might ask coach Q this:

"How do you think Keith and Seabrook at their ages would perform I'm these drills ...even against the kids? "

Q: "Oy vet! (Notice I said vet not vey)"....Do not give me nightmares!
Everybody knows Seabs simply cannot move and turn and would be out of breath half-way through a drill...and Keith ...off last season's second half,would not bother even trying...So I got problems...Do not get me started...no way will I embarrass them at Nain came with any drill this hard as they are putting the kids through...of course they would both fail the drills...which is why I will never put them through sick skills they n9 longer have ...no not moving g and feeble stick-checking..that I will test the. Net with! "

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I saw exactly the opposite...Beaudin shut Soderlund down.

Thank you PVR I thought the same. Beaudin looked good, won the drill and took the puck and they let it continue. He had good position and active stick

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
How does the new practice facility look for those of you who were able to attend today? Also anyone know if they'll be doing a live stream for the scrimmage on Friday?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Saw 5 clips of "bumper "drills...where 2 Blackhawks coaches or von ice assistants hold up big blocker pad to absorbs bumps of player with puck going forwards and backwards into the pads as he tries to keep his balance and the puck p n his stock ...meant to test both footwork ,balance and pick possession in a bumping situation...3 of the 5 aced it ...Jokiharju Beaudin and Keys. ..3 not so good...Boqvist and Barratt...In Boqvist case looks to be a matter of strength ...bumps threw him off balance ..some puck control problems..In Barratt's case his footwork after bumps was slow and not smooth ...could indicate a fist step problem and re-start problem aftercare thump ?In any case of the 5 clips I saw 3 looked pretty good in that drill 2 looked like they had problems with it.Tge eye test ...Boqvist must get stronger on his skates when thumped ...Barratt may have skating issues ....that is what the drill showed to my eyes.. Keys looked the best of them all in puck possession and skating g between the 2 thumper ends ..Jokiharju and Beaudoin looked comfortable too doing the drill ....Boqvist tentative and Barratt' slow moving his feet after hitting the pad blockers.So interesting info from this drill alone,in my opinion. Not surprisingly g on Boqvist given his youth and need to add strength.. Doubt 1 year in London will be enough. .needs to physically get that muscle on ...may take 2 seasons yet before physically "ready".Barratt may just have too slow foot movement to ever make impact in the show. ..Do not know if other kinds of drills proved anything g..but the "bumper drill" actually did reveal a lot about at least that 1 aspect of being "ready"..how smothered you are when bumped...van you jkep possession after a bump and keep your balance and immediate foot speed...and do it all smoothly?
If this is an indicator of readiness the
Hawks may be wishing Chad Krys was not going back to school..cause on this 1 drill...he looks ready for the show.

Still drills only show ability and flaws but are not in themselves an indicator of how well a guy performs under the lights in actual games ...so we shall see if that changes anything when they scrimmage .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Saw 5 clips of "bumper "drills...where 2 Blackhawks coaches or von ice assistants hold up big blocker pad to absorbs bumps of player with puck going forwards and backwards into the pads as he tries to keep his balance and the puck p n his stock ...meant to test both footwork ,balance and pick possession in a bumping situation...3 of the 5 aced it ...Jokiharju Beaudin and Keys. ..3 not so good...Boqvist and Barratt...In Boqvist case looks to be a matter of strength ...bumps threw him off balance ..some puck control problems..In Barratt's case his footwork after bumps was slow and not smooth ...could indicate a fist step problem and re-start problem aftercare thump ?In any case of the 5 clips I saw 3 looked pretty good in that drill 2 looked like they had problems with it.Tge eye test ...Boqvist must get stronger on his skates when thumped ...Barratt may have skating issues ....that is what the drill showed to my eyes.. Keys looked the best of them all in puck possession and skating g between the 2 thumper ends ..Jokiharju and Beaudoin looked comfortable too doing the drill ....Boqvist tentative and Barratt' slow moving his feet after hitting the pad blockers.So interesting info from this drill alone,in my opinion. Not surprisingly g on Boqvist given his youth and need to add strength.. Doubt 1 year in London will be enough. .needs to physically get that muscle on ...may take 2 seasons yet before physically "ready".Barratt may just have too slow foot movement to ever make impact in the show. ..Do not know if other kinds of drills proved anything g..but the "bumper drill" actually did reveal a lot about at least that 1 aspect of being "ready"..how smothered you are when bumped...van you jkep possession after a bump and keep your balance and immediate foot speed...and do it all smoothly?
If this is an indicator of readiness the
Hawks may be wishing Chad Krys was not going back to school..cause on this 1 drill...he looks ready for the show.

Still drills only show ability and flaws but are not in themselves an indicator of how well a guy performs under the lights in actual games ...so we shall see if that changes anything when they scrimmage .
Do you have a link for Barratt's clip? I must've missed it.

EDIT: nvm I found it. Yeah he looked really sloppy. Krys was solid, but Beaudin and Joki were probably the best.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
How can you not be impressed with Joker?

I think he makes the club but also is a top four guy.

If he does make the club and plays the year, this is the steal of last year's draft. This kid is silky smooth out there, effortless

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Krys was fine in the bumper drills. If you are commenting on the situations where the coach bumping uses the pad to leverage on the players hips/pants causing some balance loss then you need to re-evaluate a bit. Even the strongest skaters struggle to keep balance through that and it is why it is called a penalty (holding) in the new NHL.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah. He has looked good.

I love how all of our D prospect can just flat out skate.

The D crop coming might get us fans through these next few years if it gets rough because its a promising group and should be a major component to getting back to contention.

The D now is such hot garbage. Cant wait to see Boqvist, Joker and Mitchell play top 3 minutes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The D crop coming might get us fans through these next few years if it gets rough because its a promising group and should be a major component to getting back to contention.

The D now is such hot garbage. Cant wait to see Boqvist, Joker and Mitchell play top 3 minutes.

Our D can be slightly below average if Keith bounces back, Seabrook's minutes are limited, and Forsling takes the next step.

Murphy is a fine 4-5 D at this point and his skill set matches well with Forsling. He needs to fix his gap issues he sometimes has but that is a teachable issue. If he plays like he did at the WC he will be fine.

Rutta is the mystery box as he can be good like we saw or bad like we saw when he came back.

Manning is a 6-7 D that should not have been signed but I guess we can hope he is a late bloomer. I am not confident in this.

Reactions: bwana63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad