2018 Blackhawks Development Camp (July 16-20 at MB Ice Arena)

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Invites:
LW Ryan Kuffner, Princeton (NCAA)
LW Kyle Maksimovich, Erie (OHL)
LW Connor Moynihan, Halifax (QMJHL)
G Peyton Jones, Penn State (NCAA)
G Chase Marchand, St. Francis Xavier (USports)
G Linden Marshall, RPI (NCAA)
G Mathew Robson, Minnesota (NCAA)

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
15 Dmen in the camp and not one hitting 200 lbs, in fact average is under 180 lbs. Looks like we will see many years of "good sticks" in the back end.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
15 Dmen in the camp and not one hitting 200 lbs, in fact average is under 180 lbs. Looks like we will see many years of "good sticks" in the back end.

Is this a joke? These kids are 18-22.

The average weight is 179 and are right around 6' tall.

More importantly they can all skate well.

There is also some decent size in Rockford on D.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Some of the weights are probably out-fayrd. .Can Mattias From still be
only 161lbs? Doubt it.. Think Boqvist heavier than he is listed at ...Hockey db.com has Ryan Kuffnercat 195 ten pound over what hebisvlistedxat on this roster list for this camp..
So you cannot necessarily trust these stats on height and weight which may be from an old rather than an updated source.

Looks like Ryan Kuffner 6'1 195 LW who is going into his Sr. Year at Princeton (ECAC) is the "prize" FA invitee to this camp...Do not know if he is coming strictly for "Development" and planning to go back to finish his final season at Princeton and get his degree,OR would consider leaving early if Hawks offer him a contract ? He may be able to complete his degree online or with summer courses if he does turn pro ..but we shall see if Stan offers him a contract ..I believe he plays LW ...54 points in 46 GP and 29n of these goals last season makes him one of the prize college free agents if he would consider leaving school early for a pro contract...
The 4 FA college goalies look more like strict development invites with no intention to sign anybofvthem now..

Moynihan (LW)
brings size at 6'4 but given he is 20 years old already, I would think hev is trying for a contract offer
rather than go back to Halifax as an over ager ...probably a Longshot.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I plan on going to PC at least 2 days...

anyone actually see Kuffner play??? supposed to have good wrist shot and decent cycle game

How does he skate???

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Super excited for camp. Lots of guys I'm eager to get a look at. Kuffner, Jones and Robson are interesting invites. Especially Kuffner. Also did anyone know that Maksimovich played in Rockford? I don't ever recall that happening.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Your stance with size on forwards has changed quite a bit the past couple of years Bobby. Maybe they will with d-man as well. I understand what your saying, but it isn't the end all either. I still remember when you were all about your meat and potatoes guys (Brouwer, Bickell, etc.) and hated "smurfs". Now you're probably one of the biggest Hinostroza fans here (didn't you like Versteeg too at one point?)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kuffner finished tied for 4th in NCAA DIV. 1 scoring(52 pts) just 2 points back of Dylan Sikura (54 pts)who finished 3rd in scoring ..he had only 8
PP goals so 21 of his 29 goals came at even strength since he did not have any shorties ...I think this led the NCAA in even strength goals ...In contrast,Sikura (playing 1 less game) had 14 of his 23 goals came on the pp.... Kuffner was +24 last season at Princeton.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kuffner finished tied for 4th in NCAA DIV. 1 scoring just a point back of Dylan Sikura who finished 3rd in scoring ..he had only 8
PP goals so 21 of his 29 goals came at even strength since he did not have any shorties ...I think this led the NCAA in even strength goals ...In contrast,Sikura (playing 1 less game) has 14 of his 23 goals came on the pp....
Definitely good production, BUT he does play in ECAC so it's less impressive than you might think. Still, he'd be a good signing if we could snag him. Nice addition to Rockford with NHL potential.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Your stance with size on forwards has changed quite a bit the past couple of years Bobby. Maybe they will with d-man as well. I understand what your saying, but it isn't the end all either. I still remember when you were all about your meat and potatoes guys (Brouwer, Bickell, etc.) and hated "smurfs". Now you're probably one of the biggest Hinostroza fans here (didn't you like Versteeg too at one point?)

As I've said many times in the past. I love guys like Hino because of the intensity he plays with. I will never put all players under one umbrella because of their stature but the moment I see any player shying away from physicality I will call that player out. That said they can't all be small non-physical types, no matter how much grit they play with. It just doesn't work in the NHL.

As for the Dman prospects: from what I've read there isn't a single legitimate prospect who will play big with a physical edge to their game and that should be a concern.

If this current Hawks team somehow made the playoffs in this past season, I don't think it is any stretch to say that they would have been dominated physically - and I'm getting sick of Stan not seeing the need to toughen up his prospect choices, especially in the back end. He had a great opportunity in the draft in Dobson or Bouchard but instead went for the high-risk smaller guy and with it concussion worries. I don't pretend to know anything about these guys other than the scouting reports but by all accounts Dobson and/or Bouchard should be NHL ready pretty quickly, perhaps immediately in the right circumstance. They may not have the pure offensive skill of a Boqvist but both seem well-rounded, both have offense in their arsenal and both bring physicality.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kuffner also was seemingly at the Sens development camp, according to posts in this thread on the prospect board. So if he decides to make the jump to pro hockey, we may have some competition.

When was the last time we had such a strong group of defensive prospects? Decades maybe? You can't really say back when guys like Keith and Seabrook were prospects. Keith ended up being an elite #1 in the NHL, but he wasn't ever much of a prospect. He basically got good after years in the NHL. Not that I'm complaining. And there wasn't much else besides Seabrook at the time (Hammer came a few years later).

But looking at the list above, we have a shit ton of guys who can be good NHLers on the back end. Boqvist, Jokiharju, and Mitchell all have top 2 upside. Carlsson, Krys, and Beaudin have top 4 upside. I also look at Forsling as a bit of a prospect because of his time in the AHL last year and due to his young age. Just a lot of options for us defensively.

Forwards are another story, but all three Russian prospects (including Shalunov who could play in the NHL today if he bothered signing) aren't present. We do have a ton of young guys on the Hawks already with DeBrincat, Schmaltz, Hino, Sikura, Hayden, Kahun (?), and Kampf, so it's not a big deal that there isn't much for forwards playing in this. Soderlund, Barratt, Wise, and Nordgren stand out for the forwards who'll be in attendance.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I knew we would get the "it is only the ECAC" proviso to temper the enthisiasm of the stats production of Kuffner ...still we have seen guys make the show from that Conference
too...so you never know. .Look
..if it were me,I would not leave a Princeton degree on the table just too be an AHL player or 3rd liner NHLer this season (assuming I make the Hawks at Main Camp )...but IF he impresses enough at this development camp such that Hawks think he is both "ready" and has the ability to challenge for a top six spot at LW from the get go and convince him to sign NIW on that belief ,then he indeed would be a top prize from the college cranks that Stan managed to grab...Otherwise he might well wait till after his Senior season this year to turn pro next summer ...there ought to be just as much if not more interest by even more teams for his services at that time. ..especially if he turns in another great season ...

So I am just not sure if this is just a development aidevto him to attend this or if both he and the Hawks are serious about turning pro now with a legit promise of a shot at a feature role in the top six..If his ceiling is just another Bottom six guy ..he might as well wait and pursue that next summer.So if he wants to turn pro thinking he can impact big from the get go ..then do it now if offered the chance ..Off he us unsure about becoming a featured star then eat t till next summer ...because bottom six support role will still be there next summer. 2

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Nice. Next week is looking like it’s shaping up to be a light work week. For sure gonna stop by and check it out for a couple of the days. Really excited to get my first live glimpse of Boqvist and see how some of the other guys on the back end are progressing.

Last edited:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Too bad Alty and Kayumov won't be attending

Russian's are often practising with the team already in July because their season starts in August.

Wonder if this is the line-up which is in Traverse City too. I think there is no limit with the age? Hopefully they are streamed again, defending champs baby!

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Russian's are often practising with the team already in July because their season starts in August.

Wonder if this is the line-up which is in Traverse City too. I think there is no limit with the age? Hopefully they are streamed again, defending champs baby!
Whoa you got rid of your Panarin pic. All aboard the Hayden train?

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Whoa you got rid of your Panarin pic. All aboard the Hayden train?

Haha. I think I had that picture over 2,5 years, I’m pretty sure I put it very early 2016. Time for change, one guy here asked ”what team are you rooting for” because he didnt know who the guy in the picture was. That was sad.

Picture of Yale’s product obviously increases my knowledge here so everybody takes me seriously now. Except couple posters who have voted me for Best New Poster award.

Thought about Boqvist but yeah, Hayden all the way now!

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Chase Marchand is Brad's cousin. He was invited to Av's development camp back in 2016 but honestly don't know anything about his play.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Complaining about weight & height of unknown reliability of sources is hilarious. No one knows what those were based on could be pre draft or around them which will be likely lite for all but the big 4 recent picks.

I noticed it as odd cause I always thought Gilbert was bigger than that, he is. Why hes listed 6"1' 195 is odd as even his combine measured real height was 6'2.25 and 205. He's always listed 6'2" or 6'3" and he probably is over 200 lbs but non questioning something and creating a topic of conversation seems to be in season. Hilman and some others also are well around everywhere else listed higher in weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad