2018 Blackhawks Development Camp (July 16-20 at MB Ice Arena)

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I would say Fortin. Fortin had fallen off the radar but put himself right smack dab in the middle of attention with his speed at this years prospect camp.

Good call. Needless to say, this season is going to be huge for Fortin. Does he get back on track or is he just a guy? Definitely oozes potential. Can he put it together? Certainly hope so.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He's been on my radar. The lack of recognition Fortin gets today reminds me of Hino a few years ago. I like em both.

I meant as in made a name for themself. Fortin was an undrafted free agent that was signed to an ELC following camp and almost made the opening night roster in 2016 iirc. Is there anybody like that this year?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He's been on my radar. The lack of recognition Fortin gets today reminds me of Hino a few years ago. I like em both.

He has been on most of our radar.

You are higher on him than most and you’ve had that stance from the start. I think his ceiling is of a good 3rd line player but he could also turn out to be another Jurco (has all the tools and size but it never fully clicks).

I love the speed that he brings but I also like that he does have some size to him. He is aggressive on the forecheck. He does need to show he can stay healthy and produce.

Long term I think Sikura/DK made/make Hino replaceable. I think Sikura has a higher ceiling and will replace Hino’s production.

Another player people are forgetting is Highmore.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I've never cared for Fortin much. I don't see his ceiling anything more than a high energy 3rd/4th liner, with little chance he reaches that ceiling

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

agree here with Krys. I am very confident in the jump he makes this year, have been saying it since the beginning of this year - kid is coming on at the right time. he might not be as touted as some others, but this kid is a legit top 10 prospect for us now, and like his ex coach said, he is finally understanding what is expected of him and what he is truly capable of. I expect a near ppg year out of him this season, and a jump to the pros...man this defense has a lot of potential on the way.

I also echo everything he has said about Wise. Me and Musto have been calling him Nick Schmaltz 2.0 all year long...guess others are seeing it as well. silky smooth, smart player, plays like Toews in his own zone/at the dot which we said as well - he will go into traffic areas and has an amazing compete level..we landed a homerun here, can't say it enough with Wise. I expect an explosion of a first year likely playing with Farabee on his line.

what a turn around this could be in 2 years, going from near barren cupboard to a heavy dose of promising players on all sides of the puck.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
agree here with Krys. I am very confident in the jump he makes this year, have been saying it since the beginning of this year - kid is coming on at the right time. he might not be as touted as some others, but this kid is a legit top 10 prospect for us now, and like his ex coach said, he is finally understanding what is expected of him and what he is truly capable of. I expect a near ppg year out of him this season, and a jump to the pros...man this defense has a lot of potential on the way.

I also echo everything he has said about Wise. Me and Musto have been calling him Nick Schmaltz 2.0 all year long...guess others are seeing it as well. silky smooth, smart player, plays like Toews in his own zone/at the dot which we said as well - he will go into traffic areas and has an amazing compete level..we landed a homerun here, can't say it enough with Wise. I expect an explosion of a first year likely playing with Farabee on his line.

what a turn around this could be in 2 years, going from near barren cupboard to a heavy dose of promising players on all sides of the puck.
You have me salivating like Pavlov's dog.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You have me salivating like Pavlov's dog.
Wise has the chance to be a real good player. Just a solid all around player who is competent and skilled in all facets of the game. We got absolutely lucky to get him where we did, but now that he is showing his skillset, it is up to him to produce the next two years of college (IMO, he sticks for two years), and continues to get stronger and quicker out there. He could slot in and be our #3C next year if he develops like I think he will...but in 2 years is more realistic for him IMO.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

I know this is a good problem to have but the Hawks are quickly getting a glut of small, offensive dmen. If Mitchell and Krys sign after this year and Beaudin and Boqvist are ready in a couple years, they are all going to be ready at about the same time. And that's not to mention the Joker who will be the first one ready. I know dmen prospects are a great commodity and Bowman can always move one but I sure would have preferred Berggren over Beaudin in the draft.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think Wise has a chance to be pretty good - a good 2-way #3c or possibly a #2c. But I think the comparison to Schmaltz is not a good comparison. Schmaltz has more speed and Wise has more fire in his belly.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I'm perhaps reaching a little but I can see a comparison between Wise and Braydon Point.
Maybe not a 30 - 30 point producer eventually but a 20 -30/40 point producer ...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Wise has a chance to be pretty good - a good 2-way #3c or possibly a #2c. But I think the comparison to Schmaltz is not a good comparison. Schmaltz has more speed and Wise has more fire in his belly.
the Wise and Schmaltz comps are mainly because of the way they can handle the puck, and how both are pass first players. Wise has such soft creative hands same as Schmaltz, the speed really isn't that far off either, and IMO, Wise is better defensively already....but I see a lot of similarities between the two and have for some time. Agree that Wise is more competitive/fire in the belly - hopefully Schmaltz gets a bit more of that going this season.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
the Wise and Schmaltz comps are mainly because of the way they can handle the puck, and how both are pass first players. Wise has such soft creative hands same as Schmaltz, the speed really isn't that far off either, and IMO, Wise is better defensively already....but I see a lot of similarities between the two and have for some time. Agree that Wise is more competitive/fire in the belly - hopefully Schmaltz gets a bit more of that going this season.

I'm very high on Wise so don't take this as criticism, but I don't think he has elite speed like Schmaltz does. Wise has good enough speed to be a very good player in the NHL - but Schmaltz has another gear - a gear the majority of NHL players don't have. Schmaltz doesn't have the top gear of McDavid, but just a notch below it whereas Wise's skating isn't a hinderence but also isn't better than most good skaters in the NHL. There was a play in the scrimmage where one of the young d-prospects made a nice pass up to Wise at center ice and sent Wise in on a breakaway. Fortin turned up ice and closed the distance and was able to distract Wise from getting a good shot off. I would put Schmaltz' speed close to Fortin.

Hawkschamps

Jul 27, 2018
Wise was pegged to be a first round pick but he got injured. Once he returned, he produced 1.5points per game...right up there with jack hughes and wahlstrom type numbers. We are very lucky he fell to us.

Hawkschamps

Jul 27, 2018
Mckenzie Entwistle also looks very interesting on paper. Apparently some teams thought he could be a first round pick. Also, he is very good defensively. Got voted #2 for defensive player of the league.

Anyone seen him play? Is he legit? Can he be up there with jake wise as our 1, 2 punch center prospects?

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Just thought I'd bump this for those interested in looking back at 2018 and getting ready for the 2019 camp. Lots of luv for Wise and the defensive prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad