2018 Blackhawks Development Camp (July 16-20 at MB Ice Arena)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Soderlund might be one of the more intriguing forward prospects in the system. Dominated Beaudin in that drill.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
WRT Fortin, I want to see good progress @ Rockford. Not expecting him to make the Hawks. But last season was meh, so it's time to step up.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Boqvist looked easily bumped around in that drill between the 2 bok end bumper coaches going back and forth...Chad Krys took the bumps a lot better ...more balance and "strong on skates/smooth "when bumped..difference in strength and age .
.it shows ..

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Relax Fiddy, Boqvist is still only 17 (turns 18 in a month). He'll grow a ton in the next year just because of his age (and his brother is a year older and grew two inches over his D+1 season).

Reactions: clydesdale line

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hopefully Fortin will get a fair shot to make this team in training camp.
he literally didn’t even play in the AHL playoffs. The guy just isn’t it... yet. I’m not saying forever but he’s not making this team. I promise

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Soderlund might be one of the more intriguing forward prospects in the system. Dominated Beaudin in that drill.

I thought Beaudoin played that whole sequence pretty well. Kept Soderlund to the outside, stick checked him a few times, didn't give him much space. Overall it wasn't bad for a 18year old vs 20? Year old. Only mistake was getting beat off that second rush, but he isn't used to that speed I'm sure.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
he literally didn’t even play in the AHL playoffs. The guy just isn’t it... yet. I’m not saying forever but he’s not making this team. I promise
Anything is possible, Q has taken a liking to him previously with no AHL experience. But yeah, unlikely unless he dominates preseason.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I think player performances during any of these drills should be taken with a grain of salt. I distinctly remember DeBrincat losing quite a few of those one-on-one battles and that generally observers left feeling underwhelmed by his camp since he seemed slow and easily neutralized.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Fortin seems like one of those classic "tools but no toolbox" players. Great foot speed and solid puck skills but yet has never put up particularly impressive numbers at any level (even went undrafted despite having decent size to go along with the speed and hands).

At the current rate of his development, I'd say that his ceiling is likely bottom-6 speedster who can chip in on offense every so often.

Could anyone that has watched the kid play explain what might be holding him back (injuries or coachiing aside)?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think player performances during any of these drills should be taken with a grain of salt. I distinctly remember DeBrincat losing quite a few of those one-on-one battles and that generally observers left feeling underwhelmed by his camp since he seemed slow and easily neutralized.

Not really. One-on-one is not necessarily a strength of Cats. In that drill he's not making a nice pass or sniping and catching the goalie by surprise... which is his strength.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Relax Fiddy, Boqvist is still only 17 (turns 18 in a month). He'll grow a ton in the next year just because of his age (and his brother is a year older and grew two inches over his D+1 season).
He definitely is physically immature and will put on strength and weight, but I actually think Jesper was already listed at 6' before the 2017 draft: https://thehockeywriters.com/jesper-boqvist-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Regardless Adam was listed at 5'11.5 at the combine so I don't think that height should much of a issue for him. Erik Karlsson in only half an inch taller and he's who we're all hoping that AB can become like one day.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Not really. One-on-one is not necessarily a strength of Cats. In that drill he's not making a nice pass or sniping and catching the goalie by surprise... which is his strength.
Not really what? I think we actually agree here. For playmakers or high hockey IQ guys these drills suck for showing off their abilities.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not really what? I think we actually agree here. For playmakers or high hockey IQ guys these drills suck for showing off their abilities.
This I can agree with. Someone like Nordgren or Soderlund aren't going to perform particularly well during these drills. The scrimmage is where we should get a better look. I remember that's when Sikura started really turning heads last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad