2018 Around the League II: Dorion got WHAT for Karlsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Just a crazy amount of shots in the league. Started last season and is going strong. Teams seem to fairly regularly get 50+ shots on goal, even with normal amount of PPs.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The Oilers clearly needed to make the 4th pick in 2016 available for the best defender on the market, top 5 picks are extremely valuable in this league. Instead they moved Taylor Hall and thought they could replace him with Milan ****ing Lucic.

Taylor Hall in 2013 was the best left winger in the sport, and probably would have won the Hart trophy if the Oilers made the playoffs. He was in the same tier as John Tavares and Steven Stamkos until Dallas Eakins took over and pretty much hindered every player on that team.

If both GM's weren't clueless morons a deal around Subban for Draisaitl could have gotten done and both teams would have been much, much better off.

The Oilers could have bought low on Hjalmarsson and Hoffman and would have an extremely solid team right now, I simply don't have a clue why they weren't in on both those guys.

This is a 100% hindsight take.

The Oilers were probably thinking they'd get PLD or a young cost controlled 60/70 point guy with that #4 pick like they did with Draisaitl.

Taylor Hall was coming off a disappointing 60 point season. He followed that up with an even worse 53 point season in his first year in New Jersey too. So no, he wasn't a superstar when traded. He had a breakout year last season and we'll see if he can maintain that. Add that to the fact that Taylor Hall plays the game of hockey with such reckless abandon that even at 25 years old the wear and tear on his body is already accumulating. Let's see how long he can stay healthy and effective. Add that to the fact that there were reports of a toxic fratboy culture in the Oilers dressing room starting with Taylor Hall himself.

It was not a bad idea by any stretch given all these things to trade him. You can argue about the return but the return speaks more to the fact that Hall wasn't worth that much around the league.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This Devils Sharks game is fantastic. These are two high quality teams just going for it. You are seeing top notch defensive dives to break up plays, its just really entertaining hockey I am impressed by the Devils... And there was also a hit to the head of Wood by Brent Burns a couple a minutes ago and not much of a response from the Devils...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Brandon Saad about to be a healthy scratch for the Blackhawks! What a disaster that Panarin trade was.

All to get cost control for 2 additional years (Saad's contract 2 years longer locked in at 6MM) and not have to try and re-sign Panarin, clearly the far better player, as a UFA after this season.

Had they held onto Panarin they could probably swing a trade after another elite season for an even larger haul then getting saddled with Saad for another 2 years after this one.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
All to get cost control for 2 additional years (Saad's contract 2 years longer locked in at 6MM) and not have to try and re-sign Panarin, clearly the far better player, as a UFA after this season.

Had they held onto Panarin they could probably swing a trade after another elite season for an even larger haul then getting saddled with Saad for another 2 years after this one.

I agree with all of this, but we have to remember at least some of this was to try and make Toews happy if I remember correctly.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think it was done by his urging. More like they assumed Panarin was product of Kane and they were trying to get a linemate for Toews. There is clearly a trend at bringing back the old players on the Blackhawks, Saad isn't the only one. I doubt Toews is dictating all that

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ahhh Ray Ferraro I love how blunt he is on the radio

"Why are you shocked that Jay Beagle was injured?........ I mean it was only a matter of time when a team spends so much time in their own zone"
-
"This could just be the beginning of the injuries for Vancouver"

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Funny that we're talking about Marko Dano being put on waivers and then Brandon Saad being healthy-scratched.

...wasn't Saad traded for Dano?

member 290103

Ahhh Ray Ferraro I love how blunt he is on the radio

"Why are you shocked that Jay Beagle was injured?........ I mean it was only a matter of time when a team spends so much time in their own zone"
-
"This could just be the beginning of the injuries for Vancouver"

He's usually ok. His take on Petterson today was absurd though - talking about how the game has changed, that there is no on on the Canucks that could really do anything anyway, etc. I have noticed he very often simply carries the same point of view as the hosts of the show he is a guest on......

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He's usually ok. His take on Petterson today was absurd though - talking about how the game has changed, that there is no on on the Canucks that could really do anything anyway, etc. I have noticed he very often simply carries the same point of view as the hosts of the show he is a guest on......

Anybody that is as hard on Benning as Ray Ferraro is, I usually like.
So I am a fan.

member 290103

Anybody that is as hard on Benning as Ray Ferraro is, I usually like.
So I am a fan.

Yes, I hear you. He is probably the Canucks harshest critic. Keep in mind he has also expressed a desire to one day work for them.......so I don't know if that's in the back of his mind (i.e. the worse they do, the better there's a chance someone gets hired that will hire him).

That said, he was also relentlessly vicious in terms of his take on the Oilers, so it's probably genuine.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yes, I hear you. He is probably the Canucks harshest critic. Keep in mind he has also expressed a desire to one day work for them.......so I don't know if that's in the back of his mind (i.e. the worse they do, the better there's a chance someone gets hired that will hire him).

That said, he was also relentlessly vicious in terms of his take on the Oilers, so it's probably genuine.

Yeah I believe he said something previously along the lines of Vancouver and Edmonton aren't run very well. But it shouldn't be a surprise seeing as Benning learned directly from Chiarelli and was his #2

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
So Toronto's offense is ummmmm good.
:laugh::laugh:

Can you imagine not even caring about missing a 60 point winger.
Must be nice.
Kapanen has 4G / 4A in 5 games being on Matthews line. Let me believe that Jake may not be a bad pick after all :popcorn:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig