2018 Around the League II: Dorion got WHAT for Karlsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So Nylander is practicing with an Austrian hockey team after a quick meeting with Kyle Dubas.

That guy seriously thinks he’s worth 8m x7 or x8???? What a joke

Maybe he’s pissed that Toronto would rather pay a 28 years old FA 11m than 8m to him

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
They were never going to be able to keep all four anyways. Especially now that Matthews has been on an absolute tear and looks like he could end up with more than JT got.

Marner should be close to $9 million too.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
They were never going to be able to keep all four anyways. Especially now that Matthews has been on an absolute tear and looks like he could end up with more than JT got.

Matthews will probably get more than McDavid.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
McDavid hopefully fired his agent over that contract. Total sweetheart deal for Edmonton.

I don't think it's his agent. McDavid wanted to take a but less. McDavid doesn't need an agent to make max money. He's his own bargaining chip

May 31, 2006
I don't think it's his agent. McDavid wanted to take a but less. McDavid doesn't need an agent to make max money. He's his own bargaining chip
The agent should not have permitted this. He was poorly advised. McDavid should have received the league max and not a penny less.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
The agent should not have permitted this. He was poorly advised. McDavid should have received the league max and not a penny less.
True. Hes the best player AINEC and should get max value

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You have to strike a fine balance in terms of maximizing value because it legitimately hampers the club you want to be successful (i.e the one you're signing with) by juicing every penny on their contract.

McDavid gets max $$ and it means the Oilers have even less money to fill out the team around him with good complementary players. Take too little and the NHLPA will be furious as it suppresses salary inflation for the members of that union.

It sucks though because McDavid alone probably generates the Oilers $40MM

Reactions: Bougieman

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It's an interesting situation to watch. And while this sort of thing will happen with any fanbase, always amusing to watch the sheer devotion some Leaf fans will go through anytime someone talks about having to trade Nylander.

It could work out but it's just a matter of timing. While they're currently playing with Marner and Matthews being RFA's at the end of the season you have to think negotiations with them or ongoing and they could see extensions in the new year, so really it's like Dubas is negotiating with all 3 at the same time. The tricky part is next season they only have space to pay two of them, a third has to take a bridge contract. Then when Marleau's contract expires in 2020, they can afford to pay #3.

To make that work everyone needs to be willing to buy into it, and so far it doesn't look like Nylander is willing. They're considered a 'trio', but one is going to be asked to be paid significantly less for a year or two, and so far Nylander is saying not me. They may just have to trade him, and they're certainly strong enough up front to do so.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Vegas falling prey to the same phenomenon that let them build such a strong initial roster in the first place: GMs falling in love with the mediocre replaceable filler on their roster. Guys like Tuch are a dime-a-dozen, there's no reason to commit so much term and money to him.

i would say gmgm has been squandering the hand he started with for a while, but i totally misread that hand so i have to shut up.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Vegas falling prey to the same phenomenon that let them build such a strong initial roster in the first place: GMs falling in love with the mediocre replaceable filler on their roster. Guys like Tuch are a dime-a-dozen, there's no reason to commit so much term and money to him.

Yep, yep. When taking over a new team there is no endowment effect. Every gm should have a term limit.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Giving 7 years to a guy with 1 NHL season under his belt is a very bad idea. Even that Theodore deal is a big swing.

Understand that Vegas needs some roster stability but they've probably gone a bit overkill.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I have no idea why the Kings haven't done some sort of retool 2015 SJ style.

They still have a relatively young franchise center and defenceman. But they look ridiculously old and stale right now.

I'm also tired of these goofy f***ing contracts being given to middle sixers like Tuch. I'd love to see a rule set where contracts can't exceed 6 years and if they exceed 4 years it has to be a minimum salary like 8M or something. So annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

member 290103

I have no idea why the Kings haven't done some sort of retool 2015 SJ style.

They still have a relatively young franchise center and defenceman. But they look ridiculously old and stale right now.

I'm also tired of these goofy ****ing contracts being given to middle sixers like Tuch. I'd love to see a rule set where contracts can't exceed 6 years and if they exceed 4 years it has to be a minimum salary like 8M or something. So annoying.

No I know. Sometimes the hardest thing for a franchise is to cut loose players that have contributed to championship success in the past. We have seen it in Vancouver, where the Canucks stuck with the same core for years after 2011. We saw it in Seattle where, up until this year, the Seahawks continued to deploy the same group of players despite having limited success.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I really didn't think Mittelstadt was going to be this disappointing
I didn't like him leaving university, but one secondary assist in 8 games is..........

He was always ridiculously overrated and is another example of how stupid it is to overreact to the World Juniors.

Still should probably become a good offensive-minded 2nd line C though.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I really didn't think Mittelstadt was going to be this disappointing
I didn't like him leaving university, but one secondary assist in 8 games is..........

He was overhyped based on his world juniors performance, not like he was crazy good in college last year either.

I'm not sure how smart it was to pencil him in as a 2C only being one year removed from playing in the USHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad