GDT: 2018 ALWC - Oakland A's at New York Yankees - 10/3 8:05 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
A) Anyone can get shut down in one game
B) The Yankees have better pitching all-around than the A's. The A's may have had a great regular season from their pen but the Yankees have four legit big-time pitchers in the pen while the A's have at most one, and a lot of other complementary guys. Or three big-time pitchers and one very solid one (Robertson).

I unpleasantly disagree.. in a 3 out 5 .. Yanks could have very well swept

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
where's your team at?

when's the last time they made the playoffs?

My team is at home after playing 162 games ,, Your team is about to be at home after playing 163 games. Must sting a bit to be almost as insignificant as non playoff teams

And last time my team made playoffs was 08. They did make it in 2005 as well and won a WS , Wonderful experience

I guess you have fond memories of your team doing same in 1989!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
its a historic rivalry yes

and i'll say it loud and clear for the fans. the rivalry has been dormant since 04

Cause they haven't played in the playoffs since then...or even been involved in a down the wire division race in the WC era. But it'll crank up now.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Lol what do you mean it hasn't been a rivalry? Red Sox-Yankees is forever embedded in baseball culture no matter what outsiders say.

It hasn't dwindled and it never will. Rivalries are mostly for the fans and you'd get embarrassingly laughed at if you said that in front of their fans.

Yup, Boston-NY in the playoffs is appointment viewing. I was hoping for Oakland because I hate the Yankees, but at least it will result in a reboot of a classic rivalry. Hard to believe it's already been 14 years since what remains to this day, the greatest moment I have witnessed in sports.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
These Boston Yankees series are so good because usually the pitching matchups mean nothing. The teams are usually so good when they’re both competitive and see each other enough that the elite pitchers don’t perform nearly as well as they might against an out of division opponent. We regularly saw Clemens Mariano and Pedro be abused compared to what they seemingly were against everyone else. It all goes out the window with these two

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
My team is at home after playing 162 gmaes ,, Your team is about to be at home after playing 163 games. Must sting a bit to be almost as insignificant as non playoff teams

And last time my team made playoffs was 08. They did make it in 2005 as well and won a WS , Wonderful experience

I guess you have fond memories of your team doing same in 1989!

they made it to the wild card game. something your sorry team won't be sniffing anytime soon

hold on tight to those memories of 05 because i have a feeling you weren't around to see the last time they won it all before that in 1917. i'm sure the A's will win another WS. just give them 88 years

Reactions: Clowe Me

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
111-110 wRC+ (accounts for ballparks) advantage Yankees. You are seriously underrating A's offense.

Unfortunately you might be underrating the Yanks offense.
Guys who can hit for average and hit the long ball out of any park .
Pitchers just don't get a break.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I unpleasantly disagree.. in a 3 out 5 .. Yanks could have very well swept

I'm not actually disagreeing with the result, just with your rationale. The Yankees are better because they have better pitching, especially starting pitching. Both teams have good offenses (the A's have like forty less HR's than the Yankees playing in a much bigger park) but the overall pitching is a bigger difference.

Reactions: darko

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yup, Boston-NY in the playoffs is appointment viewing.

Especially in a five-game series. Although I'm actually skittish that it might be a shorter series than people think, with how compromised Sale is, and Price's postseason woes. I could see them being down 0-2 with Porcello having to pitch to save their season in the bandbox.

Reactions: All Might

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So can the Yankees actually mob each other for once after winning this game are we gonna get the usual weak Yankees WC or LDS celebration? It seems they never celebrate after the last out like other teams do

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Especially in a five-game series. Although I'm actually skittish that it might be a shorter series than people think, with how compromised Sale is, and Price's postseason woes. I could see them being down 0-2 with Porcello having to pitch to save their season in the bandbox.

Well that would be nice.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'm not actually disagreeing with the result, just with your rationale. The Yankees are better because they have better pitching, especially starting pitching. Both teams have good offenses (the A's have like forty less HR's than the Yankees playing in a much bigger park) but the overall pitching is the difference.

As a pitcher or any Ace of a particular staff imo I'd rather face the A's line up then then the Yanks
But again would have liked the A's to win ( the "poor" guys beat the "wealthy"guys)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
So can the Yankees actually mob each other for once after winning this game are we gonna get the usual weak Yankees WC or LDS celebration? It seems they never celebrate after the last out like other teams do

i'm sure having 27 titles has something to do with it?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Now you're mad that we won't celebrate? A minute a go you were saying Voit would get thrown at for celebrating.

Reactions: All Might

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad