darko

Feb 16, 2009
chris-davis-07062018-us-news-getty-ftr_1v5xny0lj4pj51w5q2aecsu7zt.jpg

That's Strikeout Davis

Reactions: Machinehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Boston gets even average pitching, I don't see anyone beating them. That offense is just nuts. I'm not sure what all the metrics say or whatever, but never in my life have I seen a team that could just explode for runs like they seemed to. Lost count of how many times I'd check the scores, see them down 4-0 in the 5th inning or something, then check later and see they won 12-4.

The Yankees' offense is equally capable of putting up pinball numbers. But their pen is miles better and they have three reliable starters while the Sox at this point have two guys that should be reliable but are major question marks for different reasons.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The sox also have an explosive offense and I think theyll take it.
In fact imo the only team that can possibly stop the sox are the Astros.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's funny. You always want to believe so hard in the A's. They bring these lineups with a lot of relatively unknown/less big names that can play good, fundamental baseball. They're like the baseball equivalent of the blue collar working man. For whatever reason, it never seems to work out for them. Sucks.

And now we await the ALDS, which will probably end 4 weeks from now as each game will go at least 6 hours.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think the secret weapon for most of these Yanks hitters are..... steroids.... I mean come on they must be on steroids

Or maybe this is a team that is built to take advantage of their ballpark.

To use a hockey analogy, it's kinda like how the Sabres back in the day would build teams to play in those smaller ice surfaces.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
It's funny. You always want to believe so hard in the A's. They bring these lineups with a lot of relatively unknown/less big names that can play good, fundamental baseball. They're like the baseball equivalent of the blue collar working man. For whatever reason, it never seems to work out for them. Sucks.

It's like the Kansas City Chiefs- the names change, the cast of characters change, but you wait for the script to have a different ending and it doesn't.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Or maybe this is a team that is built to take advantage of their ballpark.

To use a hockey analogy, it's kinda like how the Sabres back in the day would build teams to play in those smaller ice surfaces.

Ok here's the thing and correct if im wrong ..take a guy like Judge
Who had some power in the minors but comes into the MLB and hits 52 homers vs the best pitching in the world. How?
Did anyone except Judge to hit with this type of power?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Who had some power in the minors but comes into the MLB and hits 52 homers vs the best pitching in the world. How?

Some guys are better fit to play to their strengths at certain places, like Mookie at Fenway or Arenado/Story at Coors or the Astros' sluggers at their place.

Throw in playing in a division with other hitter-friendly parks (Toronto, Camden, Fenway) and he gets a lot of chances to go deep.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If Boston gets even average pitching, I don't see anyone beating them. That offense is just nuts. I'm not sure what all the metrics say or whatever, but never in my life have I seen a team that could just explode for runs like they seemed to. Lost count of how many times I'd check the scores, see them down 4-0 in the 5th inning or something, then check later and see they won 12-4.

Here's how I look at it- The Yankees beat a team last year in the LDS I think was more well-rounded than these Red Sox and a better track record. Do you have as much confidence in Boston compared to Cleveland a year ago?

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I have to be st the airport Saturday morning at 5 AM and Yankees-Red Sox starts at 7 Friday night so I guess I’ll sleep eight minutes that night.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
My team is at home after playing 162 games ,, Your team is about to be at home after playing 163 games. Must sting a bit to be almost as insignificant as non playoff teams

And last time my team made playoffs was 08. They did make it in 2005 as well and won a WS , Wonderful experience

I guess you have fond memories of your team doing same in 1989!
I was at game 4 with my grandfather.

So, yeah, pretty good memories.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Some guys are better fit to play to their strengths at certain places, like Mookie at Fenway or Arenado/Story at Coors or the Astros' sluggers at their place.

Throw in playing in a division with other hitter-friendly parks (Toronto, Camden, Fenway) and he gets a lot of chances to go deep.

I get it but they're facing the best of the best pitchers
Arenado and especially Betts are other great examples you've pointed out

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Here's how I look at it- The Yankees beat a team last year in the LDS I think was more well-rounded than these Red Sox and a better track record. Do you have as much confidence in Boston compared to Cleveland a year ago?

Yes. Cleveland was going to pull a Cleveland at some point, even though they should have beat the Yankees last year. The Red Sox exorcised their demons in 2004 and haven't really looked back. The poor old Indians honked 3-1 leads in the ALCS and World Series in recent memory, so that cloud of choking still hangs over them.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's like the Kansas City Chiefs- the names change, the cast of characters change, but you wait for the script to have a different ending and it doesn't.
Except for all the times it did. A's sold their souls in the 70's and 80's with the 4 ws and 6 al championships. At least that's all I can think of...

Yankees had a legit starter and the A's obviously didn't trust a hr pitcher in Fiers in a park where Khris Davis' hr would have been about 30 ft short of the warning track in Oakland. Yanks had a clear advantage at starter and it made the difference. A's also had chances before the Yanks big 6th and couldn't cash in. These 1 game situations are full of variance. They won a lot of them in the 70's and 80's and haven't since. Don't think it is skill one way or the other.

As for the Chiefs, they haven't won anything since the league merged. Bad comparison.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017

There was always a pretty big gap between Judge’s raw power and his actual in game power when he was in the minors. He figured it out when he got to the majors and reached his full potential. No one expected him to hit 50, but I think most prospect people would have said it was possible.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There was always a pretty big gap between Judge’s raw power and his actual in game power when he was in the minors. He figured it out when he got to the majors and reached his full potential. No one expected him to hit 50, but I think most prospect people would have said it was possible.
Guys like Judge are the reason why guys like Wily Mo Pena and Brandon Allen will always get a shot.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
you can place the blame in two places

1. If you're going all out bullpen game, don't start a guy who was DFA'd a few months back. Every A's fan knows hendriks is pure garbage. Bomel should have gone with trivino or kelley. also disagree with using rodney against the tough part of the yankees order. melvin should have brought on familia there for sure. going with rodney was a huge mistake

2. A's hitters just couldn't cash in on the opportunities they were given. They left the bases loaded and then got two men on with no one out before betances came in and still couldn't cash in

i still wish they had gone with either fiers or jackson but i see why they went with the bullpen game. i guess that's what happens when your entire rotation is on the DL

anyways, A's have nothing to hang their heads over. they were picked to finish last by most people and almost won 100 games. this is just the beginning. this current group with a healthy rotation=a fun next few seasons

2018 is right up there with 2012 as the most fun A's team in recent memory

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->