GDT: 2018 ALDS: (2) Houston Astros vs (3) Cleveland Indians

Who wins?

• Total voters

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man, what happened to the Tribe's offense? Last month of the season was just brutal. Especially after such a great first few months by Lindor and Ramirez.
To think in Bauer’s first playoff start last year, he threw a gem
Gotta wonder how the series would've been if he didn't get hurt and could've pitched game 2. He was great all year.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This years incarnation was far weaker and just ran into a flat out better team.
I mean... is Houston that much better? When the Indians are clicking I don't think there's a team out there that can hang. But Bauer got hurt and was limited to the pen and the offence just.... yikes.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I mean... is Houston that much better? When the Indians are clicking I don't think there's a team out there that can hang. But Bauer got hurt and was limited to the pen and the offence just.... yikes.

2018 Houston >>> 2018 Cleveland

Their bullpen and offense have been suspect all year long. Starting pitching is good but also a bit overrated. And, as already stated, they have struggled against good-to-elite type teams. Only doubt I had about Houston is whether they would be motivated after winning the WS. But we'll have to wait and see about that.

I would agree that Cleveland would have had a better chance last year if this matchup happened. But I still would have taken Houston.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
High five to Duke33 and to KaylaJ where ever you are.

Didn't expect a sweep but I'll take it. Marwin, Springer, Bregman was clutch. Along with the pitching. Hats off to Keuchel. He made me nervous and the 2nd run was bad timing but he did what he was supposed to do. Keep the team in it and let the bats take care of business.

Reactions: Duke33

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
2018 Houston >>> 2018 Cleveland

Their bullpen and offense have been suspect all year long. Starting pitching is good but also a bit overrated. And, as already stated, they have struggled against good-to-elite type teams. Only doubt I had about Houston is whether they would be motivated after winning the WS. But we'll have to wait and see about that.

I would agree that Cleveland would have had a better chance last year if this matchup happened. But I still would have taken Houston.

Houston's been motivated since day one. They made a point to say they weren't the Cubs and their motto's been "never settle". They didn't sit on their laurels during the offseason, made some great moves (Cole) and added good depth so when players were hurt or inevitably regressed from stellar seasons last year, they were able to keep winning. Winning more games than last year despite tougher competition from Oakland and Seattle.

The bullpen notably is much better also, almost a full two runs better than they were at this time last year. For all the press (rightfully) the Yankees pen gets, Houston's was better esp. after the additions of Pressly and Osuna. They also seem to be peaking at the right time. Since Sept 1 they've gone 24-6. Long way to go though and repeating is hard. Boston or New York will be a handful for them, but at least they get a couple extra days to rest the rotation and get ready.

Excellent series.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
High five to Duke33 and to KaylaJ where ever you are.

Didn't expect a sweep but I'll take it. Marwin, Springer, Bregman was clutch. Along with the pitching. Hats off to Keuchel. He made me nervous and the 2nd run was bad timing but he did what he was supposed to do. Keep the team in it and let the bats take care of business.

Keuchel's first inning ERA is 6-something, so if he gets past that he's good for 4-5 innings before he starts slowing down. So today was good. Since in a potential 7-game series they can throw Verlander/Cole four times potentially it's important for him and Morton to be able to pitch in. Charlie gets some more rest now for that shoulder. They'll need more good pitching esp. if they face NY.

Good stuff!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I was just a little off with my prediction...

Cleveland has lost six straight playoff games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Donaldson looked cooked in his short playoff stay. I think those injuries he sustained in Toronto might have been the end of his run as a noteworthy player

I like how people think Houston isn't good when they played in arguably the toughest division in baseball with the A's, an above 500 Mariners team and a decent Halos squad before injuries finished the job. No free wins to be had at all in that division unlike the Red Sox getting to beat up on the Jays and Orioles for a good chunk of the year. Freaky splits aside, they're still dominant and i seriously believe they will beat whoever comes out of the Sox/Yankees series. They have the firepower to match New York/Boston and they have better starting pitching than both.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I wonder if Clevinger feels different today. After a game in May he blabbered on about how the Astros weren't special and they didn't have anything that the Indians didn't have. (Besides a World Series ring I guess)

Hopefully a good learning experience for him. Beating up on weaklings all season doesn't make you an automatic champ. Getting swept and outscored 21-6, out-hit 34-13 is a pretty good statement.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Regarding these teams, in the words of the late, great Denny Green: "they are who we thought they were".

Cleveland won the weakest division in baseball and were easily the worst of the 5 al playoff teams while Houston is right there with Boston when their lineup is healthy. The results of these games weren't a surprise in the slightest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad