NFL GDT: 2018 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (2) New England Patriots - Part 2

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Sorry guys my orginal post had the sarcasm emoji in it at the end, not sure why it didn't come through on mobile.

But i do find it humorous that we've barely heard anything about it when we all know it would be front page news if it happened at Gillette to Mahomes. In fact the whole beer throwing incident back in week 6 ended up as front page news, so i rest my case.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I think if they win it makes all the sense in the world, I don't think they can do this again. It's also sgainst the franchise that started it all. Public perception will be big underdogs both times, the line this time is a pickem either way.

I mean let's be real. Brady had a good game but if Dee Ford doesn't lineup offside he's getting totally different discussions yesterday. 1 TD and 3 picks. The pass to Gronk was dumb, it was not a play going anywhere. Gronk is a huge security blanket for him and this may be it. We give Brady tremendous praise but you could argue that Gronk prolonged his career. You have a TE who is basically a WR who was uncoverable for years. Sure Gronk isnt that guy anymore, I get it, but because he was Brady on that play threw it to him, which wasn't a great pass and it became a pick. Again, the 4th quarter was great but Brady made 2 horrible throws in that game that should have cost his team. I think the praise although definitely deserved here the line to me between the greatness and failure was as close as it ever was for him.
How do you know Brady didnt see the flag? It was thrown immediately. You see QBs do that all the time when they have a free play.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
How do you know Brady didnt see the flag? It was thrown immediately. You see QBs do that all the time when they have a free play.

Romeo the darling of TV broadcasting(hes honestly horrible)thought it was a formation on NE.

Of course they see flags but if you see it, no you have a free play don't you normally take a shot down the field?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think if they win it makes all the sense in the world, I don't think they can do this again. It's also sgainst the franchise that started it all. Public perception will be big underdogs both times, the line this time is a pickem either way.

I mean let's be real. Brady had a good game but if Dee Ford doesn't lineup offside he's getting totally different discussions yesterday. 1 TD and 3 picks. The pass to Gronk was dumb, it was not a play going anywhere. Gronk is a huge security blanket for him and this may be it. We give Brady tremendous praise but you could argue that Gronk prolonged his career. You have a TE who is basically a WR who was uncoverable for years. Sure Gronk isnt that guy anymore, I get it, but because he was Brady on that play threw it to him, which wasn't a great pass and it became a pick. Again, the 4th quarter was great but Brady made 2 horrible throws in that game that should have cost his team. I think the praise although definitely deserved here the line to me between the greatness and failure was as close as it ever was for him.

The outcome made it worse. If Gronkowski dropped it or it fell to the ground, the offside wouldn’t be made into what it was

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Romeo the darling of TV broadcasting(hes honestly horrible)thought it was a formation on NE.

Of course they see flags but if you see it, no you have a free play don't you normally take a shot down the field?
A lot of guys will but I figured since we are talking in hypotheticals, that Brady could have seen the flag.

Either way, theres really not a lot of reasons to retire outside of this sentimental scenario youve depicted in which Brady would want to bookend his career with SB victories over the Rams.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
A lot of guys will but I figured since we are talking in hypotheticals, that Brady could have seen the flag.

Either way, theres really not a lot of reasons to retire outside of this sentimental scenario youve depicted in which Brady would want to bookend his career with SB victories over the Rams.

The end could go badly, theres also that. Hes got a big ego on this legacy crap. You can see its getting harder for them realistically. They were the better team but the game still came in doubt in the 4th. Brady had to have one of his all time performances. The only reason he's getting praised and not getting shit is because of Dee Ford lining up offside, a gigantic gaffe. The pick in the endzone was horrible. That last pick would have been bad. A line of 1-3 would have been horrible. Especially with an end zone pick and with one with the game on the line. I still think the Chargers are a better team than the Patriots but football is a best of one, they were home, it was cold, a week to prepare. They still have advantages at things. The team itself is not great, theres nothing they excell at. They do, do things like catch the football and run with it. They aren't stacked at any position. Even when they eat the clock like in the 1st half they still rely on Brady to do it all in the end and the last few years he hasn't been as automatic. I also think that their division and conference is starting to get better.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The AFC IS getting better. New England seems like an aging king trying to hold on.

They were pushed by KC like they haven't been in a while.

Feels like this was a bit like that '83/'84 Islanders- guys who know how to win hanging on to extend their dynasty

AFC has good QB's and good teams coming up. The Pats.... look, Brady and Belchick are what they are, but the clock is ticking.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The AFC IS getting better. New England seems like an aging king trying to hold on.

Feels like this was a bit like that '83/'84 Islanders- guys who know how to win hanging on to extend their dynasty

AFC has good QB's and good teams coming up. The Pats.... look, Brady and Belchick are what they are, but the clock is ticking.

Are you Max Kellerman?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

What a hot take...everything comes to an end.

Reactions: Newsworthy

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

And add another year to the "It's going to end clock" what is it 5 or 6 years now that it was supposed to be over?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is actually a pretty solid theory.

The sad thing for our friend @ChrisK97 is that his Bills will continue to be f***ing awful even when the Patriots fall back to the pack. He'll probably become a huge Chiefs hater if they have any sustained success. Some people just cannot enjoy greatness.

I get disliking the successful team and wishing they lose, but some people have a level of hatred that is really unhealthy.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No one's been able to answer my response to this, if Brady saw the flag and knew he was offsides, why is he throwing a checkdown to Gronk and not taking a shot down the field? That makes no sense, and he is the smartest QB to ever play the game.

The flag was a non-factor.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No one's been able to answer my response to this, if Brady saw the flag and knew he was offsides, why is he throwing a checkdown to Gronk and not taking a shot down the field? That makes no sense, and he is the smartest QB to ever play the game.

I agree with you that the flag was a non-factor and it's pretty likely Brady didn't see it. Even if he did see it, as was mentioned there is virtually no chance that Brady knew 100% it was against the Chiefs.

They had designed a good play to Gronk as he had lots of open space in front of him, so Brady ran the play.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Maybe he thought Gronk was gunna go for a chunk play. I havent watched the play a ton but it looked like Gronk had space to work with if he hit him in stride. Either way I dont think he saw the flag either, but its still a possibility.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Flashback 12 months ago:

They were pushed to the limit at home against the Jaguars. They are done as the AFC king in 2018.

Forward 12 months:

- Oh...

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Kellerman from ESPN calling Brady "lucky" to have won because he won the coin flip is complete garbage. Brady converted what? Two or three 3rd downs. The guy is a joke.

I'm not a fan of any team, just a fan of the NFL but I do enjoy watching the Pats drive everyone crazy for the past 17 years. LOL

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Kellerman from ESPN calling Brady "lucky" to have won because he won the coin flip is complete garbage. Brady converted what? Two or three 3rd downs. The guy is a joke.

I'm not a fan of any team, just a fan of the NFL but I do enjoy watching the Pats drive everyone crazy for the past 17 years. LOL

in the OT drive:

3 and 10 - Hits Edelman for 15
3 and 9 - Hits Edelman for 20
3 and 9 - Hits Gronk for 15

Reactions: FlatIron

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Kellerman is a waste of oxygen. Him and talking heads like him are just there to say stupid shit and get a reaction. Garbage "entertainment".

Reactions: FlatIron

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Do I think if KC gets the ball NE would have stopped them? The way the game ended i'm not so confident.

I think the NFL should change the playoff OT rule. Is it fair that KC never got a chance? I almost like the college way and for regular season i'm okay with that. The playoffs are too important to be decided potentially by a coin flip

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Flashback 12 months ago:

They were pushed to the limit at home against the Jaguars. They are done as the AFC king in 2018.

Forward 12 months:

- Oh...

They won it, but they are actually turning back the clock in how. They aren't doing it in skill. They run the football and throw it short, they aren't a vertical offense. They aren't supreme at this point. They can still do it, but it's not as easy as it was. They are good fundamentally and have the coaching advantage, Reid like in every big game was outcoahed.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Just watched the mic'd up. Edelman was asking what happened right after the interception in the 4th to Brady, Brady told him it was an offsides. This is clearly before any formal announcement or Edelman would have known why Brady wasn't leaving the field.

Certainly lends credence to Brady having seen the flag. I mean, the guy is known for his incredible ability to know what is going on around him in the pocket and in the game, thinking he didn't see the flag smells odd to me (or notice on of the rushers he looks at before the snap lined up a foot off sides). Brady wins games with drives, not big plays (usually), unless they are YAC. Him trying to take a free play to get a first down to Gronk doesn't indicate he didn't see it, at least to me.

Not that any of that matters, it's just that I just watched the Mic'd up and that was interesting.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad