Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
NHL shouldn't allow this to happen. You go where you are drafted or go do something else. This is a loop hole to let these kids dictate what they want to do. U.S. kids are the worst for this. I don't see this happening with Canadian hockey players. They go where they are drafted.

Any prospect can decide not to sign and be free.

Reactions: barriers

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Yeah he will go study basket weaving for a year so he can go play wherever he wants. Or is he taking a year of gym class ..lol. That said we don't really know what his true intensions are. May not be a big loss to the Habs unless he turns into a superstar.
Ignorant comment

like you said, we have no idea his intentions, which means believe the kid, he wants his degree.
Nothing in life is guaranteed, every day is a risk at a career ending injury in pro sports. Having a degree can’t be taken away from you.

Again, I’ll never dump on someone who puts his education first.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Well that sucks. He won't be signing here now. He wants to play elsewhere. I mean, unless the guy thinks he's not cut for pro hockey, why stay with an inferior program, when you are a step away from the big show and the big payday.

I wonder what came about his thought process. Evidently, the though of coming to the Habs this season did not excite him that much.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Ignorant comment

like you said, we have no idea his intentions, which means believe the kid, he wants his degree.
Nothing in life is guaranteed, every day is a risk at a career ending injury in pro sports. Having a degree can’t be taken away from you.

You can complete your degree after, if it doesn't work. A la many players (Louis Leblanc, example). Clearly, it's playing in Montreal that did not entice him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Oh well, MTL lost a great asset, no way he resign after next year and our log jam of LD.

What a f***ing waste, and he won't be tradable because what tells the other team that he will sign with them ? nothing.
Recall Anders Lee wouldn’t sign with Isles till he played a full 4-years at Notre Dame. It could be as simple as Harris wants to complete his degree. Whatever the reasoning, just hope Habs have the inside intel

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Good decision from his part, the chance are there that he doesn’t have an NHL career so School is important and if he have a career, school can be important after

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Difference being Evans was still far form the NHL, Harris isn't.

I agree. I'm just saying people were still sweating when Evans went back to Notre Dame for his 4th season. And the entire year, people were saying that he'd never want to sign here because of how terrible the team was. And that year, Lefebvre was still the coach of the Rocket. So there was no Joel Bouchard for people to say "well at least the AHL team is in good hands."

Reactions: Hacketts

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Recall Anders Lee wouldn’t sign with Isles till he played a full 4-years at Notre Dame. It could be as simple as Harris wants to complete his degree. Whatever the reasoning, just hope Habs have the inside intel
Yeah, could be it. But the optics aren't favorable to the bleu-blanc-rouge right now.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ignorant comment

Harris can finish his education afterwards. That's not worth the $850,000+ or so that he's losing by not signing early.

He wants to play elsewhere.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ignorant comment

I don't think anyone shitting on his decision to stay in school...

But the Habs do have an asset to manage...to me, this signals a potential future issue in terms of losing an asset to free agency without him having ever played for you.

So that's something the Habs have to measure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Ignorant comment

So you dump on EVERYBODY else who didn't? We are a Habs forum. We want what's best for this team. If people want to pretend like Harris education is important....good for them. I couldn't care less. If he's that good, he won't either. If he's not, well maybe so but then he could ahve finished the last year of his program later on.

For a Habs standpoint, 'cause that's what we are talking about here, it's a bad decision. Period. At best, the guy comes in at 22. And that's with the idea that he can make the jump right away. Needs to play a full schedule. Needs to play against better opposition, obvioiusly. All that while being a D, the toughest position of them all. And with the lack of depth for the Habs, it's a bad decision. And that is without thinking he could very well sign elsewhere. Looking at where the team is going, nobody will be surprise if he decides to do so à la Adam Fox. A Fox who was a 40-point type of d-men should I remind people.

Hopefully, if he doesn't sign, I will hope that my thinking about having some doubts about him will materialize. If he signs, I hope he does take the Adam Fox route and becomes essential really rapidly for us.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
CHL draftees can do the same. They can even do it faster as their rights are for only 2 years. The only problem for them is that if they were drafted in their first year of draft eligibility, they have to enter the draft one last time as D+2 before becoming FA.
So it is different then. Just make it the same for both, whatever that may be and then it's all good.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Or maybe, just maybe media and the HF crowd inflated his real value and he knows his chances of making it are not as big as some make them to be.

You got guys like CC, who are just EATING, DRINKING, SLEEPING, LIVING hockey 24h a day. And others, like Harris and Leblanc, who don't consider it the end all be all. Maybe that's him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Recall Will Butcher. Recall Alex Kerfoot. Recall Jimmy Vessey. Recall Adam Fox. It's a stupid gamble and Harris isn't a world class prospect for us to take the risk of keeping him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yeah, could be it. But the optics aren't favorable to the bleu-blanc-rouge right now.
Some players make commitments to their parents to finish a degree. I’ve met Louis Leblanc at the school alumni get togethers, he’s much more interested in the management side of hockey / player agent activities vs playing side, even though he helps out coaching the Crimson

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ignorant comment

I'm all in for education, but I'm wondering? You can always go back to college/university, but an NHL career is a much more limited opportunity. Would it not make more sense to maximise the chances of making it by going to play in better league with better infrastructures, coaches , etc. (generally speaking) and dedicate most of your time to it while you can?

From what I understand, they would also make a lot of money hockey, money that they can save and use towards schooling if they so wish to go back later.

I'm just wondering, he can do whatever he wants.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Based on their talks with Harris, the habs management should be able to tell if its a situation like Adam Fox, where the player is not interested with signing with the team at all, or like Jake Evans, where the player is still interested in signing but only after completing his studies.

If its the latter, you keep him and take the risk

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Recall Will Butcher. Recall Alex Kerfoot. Recall Jimmy Vessey. Recall Adam Fox. It's a stupid gamble and Harris isn't a world class prospect for us to take the risk of keeping him.
I didn’t say take a risk or not - simply hope Habs know what the real intention is and act accordingly

Reactions: dinodebino

Jul 6, 2016
QUESTION :

Was McDonaugh signed by the Habs when he was traded to NYR.... Or did he sign when he arrived with the NYR ? I hink Habs have not signed him yet and were about to lose him for nothing if he would not had signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad