Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Was FAR from being a fan of that pick. Still have a lot of questions as far as if he'll be able to sustain the rhythm.....BUT Habs do NOT have the possibility to let him go and make him play a 4th year. If that happens, people will have to find a way to excuse Bergevin, saying that the offer was there..yeah, of course it was. It's a gimme. Let him burn a year. And EVEN assure him that he will get a NHL look THIS YEAR. Then, send him back to Laval. But we have to do everything we can to make him a Hab right now. Be convincing. Make it happen. And next time, the famous College 4-years suppose great feature, might not be that great after all.

Anyway, let's hope he signs. We need that kind of d-man in our ranks.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Fox, Trouba, McAvoy, and Fabbro, I assume you mean Dante Fabbro were all better at the point they went to join than Harris except maybe Fabbro.

Others have had marginal impact.

Harris comes to the Habs now, he likely has a negative impact, which isn't a shot against him. Habs are better off to let him be in a league he's possibly too good to be in than a league he's likely going to drown in.

Those guy where not in the same level then Harris though.. they where stud

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Wait is there a chance we don't sign him?? We take these picks because we can give them more time in university if we don't sign them what the use.

Jul 6, 2016
It's the reality of players out of the NCAA.

It was the same when they signed Poehling. He only played that one game. But Habs had to give him something to convince him to sign or risk having him return to college.

They also did the same thing with Lindgren when they signed him out of NCAA as an undrafted FA. They guaranteed him at least one NHL game so he can burn a year off his ELC.

It happens with some Euro prospects, too. But it's mostly with college players. Habs did the same with Romanov last year, in order to convince him to come to NA rather than staying in Russia.

And Habs keep drafting High School and College kids because they have more time to sign them compared to the CHL players.... Those School kids can do what they want and become UFA instead of signing with the team that drafted them.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And Habs keep drafting High School and College kids because they have more time to sign them compared to the CHL players.... Those School kids can do what they want and become UFA instead of signing with the team that drafted them.

Pretty much. Which is why teams can entice them by guaranteeing them NHL time right away and burn a year off their ELC. Some kids don't want to and prefer to stay in college and get to free agency and pick where they can go.

On one hand, teams that draft them have more time before they lose their rights, giving the organization more time to evaluate their progress. On the other hand, that gives the college kids the opportunity to test free agency if they choose to.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I haven’t followed Harris much since he was drafted, but he always was a talented guy and appears to have progressed nicely from at least a production standpoint.

Hopefully we can get him signed and he can have a cup of coffee for us this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's hard to compare Harris to guys from previous seasons since he only played 19 games and there were some lengthy times in between games and then short times and then there's the schedule to look at as he got a lot of his points vs weaker teams.

It's a question of can he continue to show progress in his offensive game as he's shown a lot but can he keep doing it? He had as many assists this year as he had points in his Freshman year. He had 2 more goals this year then in his 72 games during his first 2 years. He was on pace to put up as many points this year as he did over his first 72 games.

He had some trouble with consistency though so it's hard to see if he could have kept up that ppg pace. In 8 games he had 0 pts, in 11 games he had 19 pts. He was on the top PP, NU was I believe 2nd or 3rd in the NCAA in PP (Wisconsin is 1st or 2nd I think) He was a big reason why the PP was so good as he moves the puck well, moves across the blueline to open lanes really well, makes good passes to some great ones and his shot was much improved.

With Harris it's about the IQ, poise, to go with the elite skating/mobility. The question is how good can his offensive game get. It's made big strides for sure but how good will it be is very tough to say. I'd be surprised if he ever say turned into a 40+ pt NHLer but I would need to see how much progress he can make or not still.

Reactions: azcanuck

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
any draft pick from anywhere can refuse to sign.

Usually, you are taking a much greater chance when you wait after year 3.

For me it's simple, the ONLY advantage the US system has is that a player you don't care too much, leave him there for 4 years. He might have a better 4th year, try to sign him. If he doesn't, not important. Like it's probably going to be the case with Jack Smith. But Harris had already started to show some really promising things at year 2. And I believe that real important players...you sign them at year 2 whether it's CHL or NCAA.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Harris spent the past two years playing alongside Struble, who would seem to have more upside. In addition to Struble the team also drafted Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Leguerrier in the draft following his. Then Kaiden Guhle in 2020. He must realise he'll probably be no more than a trade chip down the road for the Habs.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Harris spent the past two years playing alongside Struble, who would seem to have more upside. In addition to Struble the team also drafted Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Leguerrier in the draft following his. Then Kaiden Guhle in 2020. He must realise he'll probably be no more than a trade chip down the road for the Habs.

"My path to the NHL is blocked by Leguerrier."

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's hard to compare Harris to guys from previous seasons since he only played 19 games and there were some lengthy times in between games and then short times and then there's the schedule to look at as he got a lot of his points vs weaker teams.

It's a question of can he continue to show progress in his offensive game as he's shown a lot but can he keep doing it? He had as many assists this year as he had points in his Freshman year. He had 2 more goals this year then in his 72 games during his first 2 years. He was on pace to put up as many points this year as he did over his first 72 games.

He had some trouble with consistency though so it's hard to see if he could have kept up that ppg pace. In 8 games he had 0 pts, in 11 games he had 19 pts. He was on the top PP, NU was I believe 2nd or 3rd in the NCAA in PP (Wisconsin is 1st or 2nd I think) He was a big reason why the PP was so good as he moves the puck well, moves across the blueline to open lanes really well, makes good passes to some great ones and his shot was much improved.

With Harris it's about the IQ, poise, to go with the elite skating/mobility. The question is how good can his offensive game get. It's made big strides for sure but how good will it be is very tough to say. I'd be surprised if he ever say turned into a 40+ pt NHLer but I would need to see how much progress he can make or not still.
Gee... I wonder what defensive corps could use those attributes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

When will we know Northeastern is definitely done for the year?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

All those guys are 2-5 years away.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
When will we know Northeastern is definitely done for the year?

They will announce the teams and brackets on Sunday evening.

Selection Show | March 21, 2021
The NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship bracket will be announced on Sunday, March 21 at 7 p.m. EST on ESPNU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They will announce the teams and brackets on Sunday evening.

Selection Show | March 21, 2021
The NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship bracket will be announced on Sunday, March 21 at 7 p.m. EST on ESPNU.

I heard some teams that otherwise didn't qualify for the championship bracket could be added as a replacement team if another team was forced to withdraw due to covid. I guess the cutoff date for that is Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad