Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Unless we suffer more injuries, doubt Harris plays in the nhl this year.
We don't have much cap space, and that doesn't include the cap hit of whichever player we acquire at the tdl + Caufield's contract (if he plays in the nhl).

Last edited:

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Excuse my ignorance (I don't follow our prospects that much) but why would the Habs agree to burn an ELC year ? Does the player have leverage ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Excuse my ignorance (I don't follow our prospects that much) but why would the Habs agree to burn an ELC year ? Does the player have leverage ?

yes, he can opt to return to the NCAA and then he'll be a UFA on August 15th, 2022. I don't know if they need to burn a year or not, if that's what it takes then do it, as I really don't want to lose him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's not my necessarily true...there are guys who weren't blue chip prospects who just joined their NHL teams and played a role.

Then what is your point......just because something rarely happens they should definitely try it???? It is not very common for dmen of Harris' ilk to go directly to the NHL and play meaningful minutes.

In your original post you made the absurd claim that every other team's NCAA prospects drafted in the first few rounds seem to be able to jump directly into the NHL and help the team down the stretch. You were called out on that so you moved the goalposts.

Harris is a good prospect and I would be very curious to see how he handles the NHL but let's not act as though it would be a criminal act to start him in Laval.......Cale Makar he is not.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A few were mentioned earlier...it's not it's uncommon.

I'm not saying he should get uncontested shot at top pairing for the rest of the year.

But no reason he shouldn't get a game to see how he does.

A few is by defintion uncommon when considering the huge sample.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Then what is your point......just because something rarely happens they should definitely try it???? It is not very common for dmen of Harris' ilk to go directly to the NHL and play meaningful minutes.
What do you think is going to happen exactly? Is he going to self destruct because he played an NHL game before an AHL game?

Not sure what the issue is here? Lol he just finished his 3rd year of college hockey, he's by all accounts one of the better Dmen in the NCAA...the NCAA is a man's league, again, he's played there for 3 years.

What's the harm? Lol

In your original post you made the absurd claim that every other team's NCAA prospects drafted in the first few rounds seem to be able to jump directly into the NHL and help the team down the stretch. You were called out on that so you moved the goalposts.
I didn't say that...I said it's happened with other teams prospects in the past, I didn't say EVERY prospect on EVERY team.

Harris is a good prospect and I would be very curious to see how he handles the NHL but let's not act as though it would be a criminal act to start him in Laval.......Cale Makar he is not.
Who said it would be criminal? We basically agree that he's a good prospect and we're both curious to see how he could handle the NHL.

What's your point here?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A few is by defintion uncommon when considering the huge sample.
I don't have the time or desire to come up with a number to satisfy your ego.

All I said is I'd like to see how he can handle an NHL game and go from there...no commitment beyond that.

You seem to have a bone to pick...let's talk it out.

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Examples ?
Fox, Fabbri, Ferraro, MacAcoy, Mitchell, Trouba, Poolman...just off the top of my head, I'm sure if we search the history of Dmen who were drafted, played in the NCAA and played in the NHL before they ever played in the AHL (if at all) we'd find quite a few examples.

It's just kind of weird to act like it's unheard of to be honest.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I didn't say that...I said it's happened with other teams prospects in the past,. I didn't say EVERY prospect on EVERY team

I will direct you to exhibit A below.

Why is it seemingly every other teams NCAA prospects, especially the ones drafted in the first few rounds...

Always jump straight to their NHL team and help them down the stretch.

But ours have to go through the AHL purgatory?

I don't have the time or desire to come up with a number to satisfy your ego.

All I said is I'd like to see how he can handle an NHL game and go from there...no commitment beyond that.

You seem to have a bone to pick...let's talk it out.

Nothing to do with my ego, I just can't stand watching people move goalposts. We clearly agree on Harris being a good prospect but that was not the issue here.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Fox, Fabbri, Ferraro, MacAcoy, Mitchell, Trouba, Poolman...just off the top of my head, I'm sure if we search the history of Dmen who were drafted, played in the NCAA and played in the NHL before they ever played in the AHL (if at all) we'd find quite a few examples.

Fox, Trouba, McAvoy, and Fabbro, I assume you mean Dante Fabbro were all better at the point they went to join than Harris except maybe Fabbro.

Others have had marginal impact.

Harris comes to the Habs now, he likely has a negative impact, which isn't a shot against him. Habs are better off to let him be in a league he's possibly too good to be in than a league he's likely going to drown in.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

You can add Cale Makar.....

Reactions: 417

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Nobody ever said that it was unheard of, they are saying that it is not necessarily common.

It should also be pointed out that not a single one of your examples went directly to the NHL at the conclusion of their NCAA season. Only McAvoy played in the NHL in the same season and that was following a short stint in the AHL.

I think your ego is clearly distorting the facts to support your failing narrative.

edit: It was pointed out that you probably meant Fabbro and not Fabbri. I will give you that single example but that just proves my point.....it is not unheard of but is definitely uncommon.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I will direct you to exhibit A below.

Nothing to do with my ego, I just can't stand watching people move goalposts. We clearly agree on Harris being a good prospect but that was not the issue here.
Ok that's fine...maybe I spoke too literally, not *every* prospect, enough to say it's not uncommon.

We agree...he's a good prospect and given the Habs current D corps, there's no reason he shouldn't get a shot to see what he can bring.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fox, Trouba, McAvoy, and Fabbro, I assume you mean Dante Fabbro were all better at the point they went to join than Harris except maybe Fabbro.

Others have had marginal impact.

Harris comes to the Habs now, he likely has a negative impact, which isn't a shot against him. Habs are better off to let him be in a league he's possibly too good to be in than a league he's likely going to drown in.
Well if you're opinion is he's not good enough to jump straight into the NHL, that's another story.

I'm not prepared to say he would have a negative impact.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody ever said that it was unheard of, they are saying that it is not necessarily common.

It should also be pointed out that not a single one of your examples went directly to the NHL at the conclusion of their NCAA season. Only McAvoy played in the NHL in the same season and that was following a short stint in the AHL.

I think your ego is clearly distorting the facts to support your failing narrative.

edit: It was pointed out that you probably meant Fabbro and not Fabbri. I will give you that single example but that just proves my point.....it is not unheard of but is definitely uncommon.
The only narrative I have is that I'd like the Habs to consider at least playing him in 1 game to see how he does.

If that's a failed narrative...so be it.

Reactions: overlords

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I still feel like he's waiting to see if NE gets into the NCAA Tournament through the back door before he decides if he will sign.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

so is this to say that by signing him now, we only get 2 more seasons of ELC deal then he hits RFA status?

while not ideal, if that is what it takes to avoid the risk of him returning to NCAA next year and then being UFA, totally a worthwhile trade off imo

Reactions: 417

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
so is this to say that by signing him now, we only get 2 more seasons of ELC deal then he hits RFA status?

while not ideal, if that is what it takes to avoid the risk of him returning to NCAA next year and then being UFA, totally a worthwhile trade off imo

It's the reality of players out of the NCAA.

It was the same when they signed Poehling. He only played that one game. But Habs had to give him something to convince him to sign or risk having him return to college.

They also did the same thing with Lindgren when they signed him out of NCAA as an undrafted FA. They guaranteed him at least one NHL game so he can burn a year off his ELC.

It happens with some Euro prospects, too. But it's mostly with college players. Habs did the same with Romanov last year, in order to convince him to come to NA rather than staying in Russia.

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
He might be best all around D habs have and he's ready to play in NHL in my opinion. It's a young mans game now. More and more young D and forwards are cracking NHL lineups. Guys like Weber are yesterdays news and all they do is kill the cap (slow and old). Kid is ready, not like this team is winning a cup this year so play the kids.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
It's the reality of players out of the NCAA.

It was the same when they signed Poehling. He only played that one game. But Habs had to give him something to convince him to sign or risk having him return to college.

They also did the same thing with Lindgren when they signed him out of NCAA as an undrafted FA. They guaranteed him at least one NHL game so he can burn a year off his ELC.

It happens with some Euro prospects, too. But it's mostly with college players. Habs did the same with Romanov last year, in order to convince him to come to NA rather than staying in Russia.

Ah yes, that one game, after which we all spent the whole summer dreaming of what our future number 1 centre can accomplish in a full season after putting up a hat trick in his first game.

Really hope that Harris can be a regular on our third pairing right from the get go. Not sure if that’s asking for too much though...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He might be best all around D habs have and he's ready to play in NHL in my opinion. It's a young mans game now. More and more young D and forwards are cracking NHL lineups. Guys like Weber are yesterdays news and all they do is kill the cap (slow and old). Kid is ready, not like this team is winning a cup this year so play the kids.

Ready may be a bit premature and bold, but he’s certainly ahead of several of our D prospects, including some in Laval.

Reactions: bopeep and 70Stang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad