Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I think you are bang on that there is risk playing against inferior talent who are trying to make a name for themselves. We even see this in the OHL. having said that, not playing top prospects sends a message that perpetuates the idea that he is being handed a position.
Not an easy decision.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rookie camp is to see which guys you want to bring to main camp and/or offer a contract to. Play those guys.

Having a guy who won’t get a sniff of the ECHL try to make a name out of himself by running Hayton from behind does nothing for me analyzing his development path.

This has nothing to do with toughness. It has nothing to do with his ability to play against largely inferior talent. I’m just protecting my asset for the main camp and preseason games against better talent.
I don’t like it but it makes sense and I’m surprised Chayka hasn’t done it. Such a Chayka kind of thing to do, really.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think you are bang on that there is risk playing against inferior talent who are trying to make a name for themselves. We even see this in the OHL. having said that, not playing top prospects sends a message that perpetuates the idea that he is being handed a position.
Not an easy decision.
He will get run in the NHL by way better, bigger, stronger and faster players. He will learn to keep his head up. This will be good for Hayton. Coaches should tell him thats how it works and he needs to learn how to protect himself. Sheltering him from being hit by not playing him isn't the right answer.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Injuries happen. They could happen in training camp. Isn't that where Hayton was injured last year? Or they could step in a gopher hole.:)

Odds of stepping in a gopher hole are minuscule compared to some AHL boing thug looking to make a name for himself.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
By the way, Hayton got hurt during a preseason game during main camp making a reverse hit. He saw the guy coming at him and threw himself backward. He put the other guy on his ass and skated away. I was surprised that he was hurt at all. When I heard the story I tried to go back and find a clip, but never tracked it down.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that the issue is also that players (regardless of what league) are going to take liberties against certain players regardless.

Once the trade deadline is over, players are looking to deliver punishment, including in the playoffs. So, while sitting a player out may potentially save him from an injury by a player with little NHL chance, it's not like that won't be seen at other times in the player's career either.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rookie camp is to see which guys you want to bring to main camp and/or offer a contract to. Play those guys.

Having a guy who won’t get a sniff of the ECHL try to make a name out of himself by running Hayton from behind does nothing for me analyzing his development path.

This has nothing to do with toughness. It has nothing to do with his ability to play against largely inferior talent. I’m just protecting my asset for the main camp and preseason games against better talent.
So, what you are saying we should sit Hayton, Soderstrom and Bahl? The Ducks sit Zegras, the Kings Turcotte? The list goes on and on. If you are going to hold this tournament, you have to give the fans something to see. If you ask me, this tournament is useless to begin with.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So, what you are saying we should sit Hayton, Soderstrom and Bahl? The Ducks sit Zegras, the Kings Turcotte? The list goes on and on. If you are going to hold this tournament, you have to give the fans something to see. If you ask me, this tournament is useless to begin with.

I’d like to see you explain to the six teams participating and their staffs how useless it is.

Hint: They aren’t putting it on just for the fans.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’d sit Hayton. I’d play the others.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seems to me that there should be some rookie game rules agreed upon by all the clubs.
1. No fighting.
2. No flagrant fouls.
Violators get sent home from rookie camp. This protects the high value rooks on every team.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Are there any other recent examples outside of the Perlini slash? I remember that being a heavy slash but I don't recall it being malicious.

I would think if you're looking to make an impression, running over a guy/causing injury won't be the way to do it. Those players aren't in the league anymore because teams can't afford to carry them.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Sitting Hayton sends entirely the wrong message. “You’re too good for this tournament and are a shoe in to make the team, so just don’t play.” Sends the wrong message to the player and to everyone else. This is an evaluation. They are evaluating whether or not he is ready to make this team and be a meaningful contributor...in order to properly make that evaluation he needs to play against the top prospects from other teams looking to make the jump as well...and then he needs to play in preseason, like, lead all forwards in ice time play.

rt

May 13, 2004
Seems to me that there should be some rookie game rules agreed upon by all the clubs.
1. No fighting.
2. No flagrant fouls.
Violators get sent home from rookie camp. This protects the high value rooks on every team.
Meh. They’ve all made it this far. You have to count on them to keep fighting through. The nhl won’t be easy either. Hayton has been through OHL playoffs and World Junior Championships. He can make it through a rookie camp.

Eventually we hope this boy is the captain of these other boys, leading our NHL team to the next step. He’s going to have to pass some tests along the way. This one won’t be the hardest.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Year after year I watch the Kings Thug Show and I’m tired of it. NFL teams have such rules in joint training camp and the NHL should follow suit. I don’t need to see Hayton getting stomped by a talent poor Kings rookie looking for some video to show his buddies back at the hardware store.

Reactions: hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
Year after year I watch the Kings Thug Show and I’m tired of it. NFL teams have such rules in joint training camp and the NHL should follow suit. I don’t need to see Hayton getting stomped by a talent poor Kings rookie looking for some video to show his buddies back at the hardware store.
Daaayuum. Time warp 36 years ago - GO!!!

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d like to see you explain to the six teams participating and their staffs how useless it is.

Hint: They aren’t putting it on just for the fans.
The teams think it is useful that is why they have it, and that is why everyone should play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You tell him. I’m not the one who’s all ginned up to risk getting Hayton hurt in a meaningless scrimmage. ;)
Did Hayton play in the rookie tournament last year? When did Hayton get hurt last year? If every team sits their prized prospects why have a tournament? I doubt Hayton plays in all the tournament games.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You tell him. I’m not the one who’s all ginned up to risk getting Hayton hurt in a meaningless scrimmage. ;)

It’s not meaningless...it’s an evaluation! Where is he supposed to get evaluated then? “Yeah go practice with your teammates but don’t play in any games, we should be able to get a pretty good idea of where you’re at from that...” Dvo tore his pectoral IN PRACTICE last year. Can’t play scared...can’t run an organization scared.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sitting Hayton sends entirely the wrong message. “You’re too good for this tournament and are a shoe in to make the team, so just don’t play.” Sends the wrong message to the player and to everyone else. This is an evaluation. They are evaluating whether or not he is ready to make this team and be a meaningful contributor...in order to properly make that evaluation he needs to play against the top prospects from other teams looking to make the jump as well...and then he needs to play in preseason, like, lead all forwards in ice time play.

I’m still hoping Hayton plays as the #1 Center for Canada at the WJC. Cup of coffee in the NHL at the start of the year, nothing more please. :crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad