Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Year ago we made this pick, almost everyone hated it.

How do you feel now? Do you like Hayton at 5? Would you trade him for Zadina straight up? Where you think his upside is?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Zadina is now about equal to Hayton in my eyes. Could go either way, but Hayton trending further in the right direction than Zadina and could eclipse him soon.

Still would have done Hughes over Hayton.

After the Stromentrade, Hayton seems like the best option for the team and has a higher upside than the C's that we're available from 11-14 this draft.

Officially no longer hatin

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I had Hughes and Zadina tied for 3rd on my list. Obviously I’d rank Tkachuk over both now. I definitely wouldn’t have Hayton out of my top ten. Overall, I’m fine with this pick.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
We need to revisit this in April but last June I had:
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Tkachuk
Zadina
Hughes
Kotkaniemi

Now I'd go:
Dahlin
Svech
Tkachuk
Hayton
Hughes
Zadina
Kotkaniemi (I would've let him develop longer in SM-liiga)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
<reads back my original takes in the old Hayton thread since I can't remember>

Much like this season, I was never all that riled up about the pick itself more so that Chayka's own draft lists diverges so much from consensus yet isn't actually producing better (or at least the same) results yet. It may in time, but it's not yet. And let's just say I'm......skeptical.......that Chayka/our staff is that much smarter than 30 other scouting staffs. Internal analytics and the other types of scouting Chayka is into do not offer the types of competitive edges they did in basketball and baseball. Nor do I think they ever will really. A slight edge perhaps.

As for Hayton himself. I think we're looking at a reasonably likely case that he's Bo Horvat-ish. Which is a really nice player and would be the best center we've had in.......well yeah. But probably not a #1 and may not have been the best player available at #5. That said if he turned into a C of high end #2 caliber I could probably forgive giving up +/- 5 slots worth of "BPA" to address that need we have had since....

But it has to pan out.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Officially misses the world junior summer showcase tournament. Hopefully he gets to go to the actual WJC this year, with a good tournament I feel he’d have a real shot at MVP this year if he goes.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I figure we should switch it year by year in the draft, center then D. Having that 1D settled is probably as important as the 1C spot. We just happen to have a 1D right now so the 1C part is more important.

But also best player available is also smart

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you combine his regular season and playoff production you get 1.64ppg. If you multiple that by his GP last season (63) his production is up from 60pts to 103pt(pace). Decent jump. :)
Friedman recently said on 30 thoughts podcast that the Hawks were taking hayton if AZ hadn’t.
Was looking back at this thread and wanted to highlight these two posts via bump.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly I’d hold him out until main camp. I’d be more concerned about him getting hurt.
Why give him special treatment? You have to see how he does, and you can't be worried about injuries. I would play him in at least one of the games.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Why give him special treatment? You have to see how he does, and you can't be worried about injuries. I would play him in at least one of the games.

Because we have a history of losing key prospects for extended periods in rookie games. Especially against the Kings.

Perlini was a notable one. Got deliberately slashed on the hand, breaking a few bones and it cost us over a year in development time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because we have a history of losing key prospects for extended periods in rookie games. Especially against the Kings.

Perlini was a notable one. Got deliberately slashed on the hand, breaking a few bones and it cost us over a year in development time.
Injuries happen. They could happen in training camp. Isn't that where Hayton was injured last year? Or they could step in a gopher hole.:)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If he's here, he's gotta play. Also please none of this extended "learn from the press box" stuff.

Just checked THN mag. They project Hayton to finish with 27 points.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Remember Simmonds bearing the holy living shit out of Turris at a meaningless rookie tournament? That’s why. Players looking to make a name may do so at our top prospects expense. Hayton has zero to gain by playing in a prospects tournament.

Reactions: Yandover

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Remember Simmonds bearing the holy living **** out of Turris at a meaningless rookie tournament? That’s why. Players looking to make a name may do so at our top prospects expense. Hayton has zero to gain by playing in a prospects tournament.
He needs the experience. If playing against prospects is too tough for him, he won't make it in the NHL. There is no more or less injury risk for prospects, training camp, pre-season, etc...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He needs the experience. If playing against prospects is too tough for him, he won't make it in the NHL. There is no more or less injury risk for prospects, training camp, pre-season, etc...
He will get the experience in training camp/preseason. A meaningless rookie tournament where players r trying to get noticed by jumping/running top prospects of another team is not a worthwhile proposition from my end. My opinion. I just remember what Simmonds did to Turris at that event and I’d prefer to learn from past mistakes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He will get the experience in training camp/preseason. A meaningless rookie tournament where players r trying to get noticed by jumping/running top prospects of another team is not a worthwhile proposition from my end. My opinion. I just remember what Simmonds did to Turris at that event and I’d prefer to learn from past mistakes.
Then why join these tournaments? The tournament isn't even in Arizona. These are rookies, from the same peer group and and most times have played against each other for years, so if any player can't handle that, they have no business trying to make a NHL team. If Hayton can't hand his peers, he sure the hell won't be able to handle men. Hope I didn't jinx Hayton.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Then why join these tournaments? The tournament isn't even in Arizona. These are rookies, from the same peer group and and most times have played against each other for years, so if any player can't handle that, they have no business trying to make a NHL team. If Hayton can't hand his peers, he sure the hell won't be able to handle men. Hope I didn't jinx Hayton.
Rookie camp is to see which guys you want to bring to main camp and/or offer a contract to. Play those guys.

Having a guy who won’t get a sniff of the ECHL try to make a name out of himself by running Hayton from behind does nothing for me analyzing his development path.

This has nothing to do with toughness. It has nothing to do with his ability to play against largely inferior talent. I’m just protecting my asset for the main camp and preseason games against better talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad