2018: 3rd Pick: Olivier Rodrigue (G)

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers could somehow land a guy who is somehow 80% of McDavid's skill level. Just a random dominant player. Fluke pick. Oiler fans would still b**** and moan and whine if that player had some sort of family member who works for the Oilers. Probably say that somehow Lowe and Mac T have magical strings that will control their development.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Really no clue why Chia traded up for this guy when there were better goalies available all the way down to the 7th round.

Meh... Oilers got the best goalie in the draft for a extra pick. Big deal, the % chance
Of that pick or any picks after the 1/2 round playing in the NHL is extremely low. Rodrigue is the best goalie prospect the team has had in years. Solid choice!

Reactions: Game 8 and nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Meh... Oilers got the best goalie in the draft for a extra pick. Big deal, the % chance
Of that pick or any picks after the 1/2 round playing in the NHL is extremely low. Rodrigue is the best goalie prospect the team has had in years. Solid choice!
Guy is a straight up troll. No matter who we picked where, he would of bitched about it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's debatable with Skinner imo, but he absolutely has the best technical skill of any goalie we've selected. I agree, solid choice. I've seen his size mentioned as a concern also by some in here, but lets not forget Grubauer is only 6'1 as well.

Time will tell how it works out, but I think we made out very well with the first 3 picks of this draft. I'd much rather draft quality over quantity.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Jake Wise, Blake Mclaughlin, Niklas Nordgren, Bulat Shafigulin, Jakub Lauko, Alexander Khovanov

All have top 6 potential, and would rather gamble on any of them than a goalie

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Jake Wise, Blake Mclaughlin, Niklas Nordgren, Bulat Shafigulin, Jakub Lauko, Alexander Khovanov

I don't think you, and a lot of people realize how good Rodrigue is.

The same people that b**** about us drafting goalies every year are the same people who criticize the Skinner and Rodrigue picks. These 2 are arguably top 10 goalie prospects in the league, it's a nice luxury to have

Reactions: Tube Skates

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

I think I wouldn't have passed up on Lauko, but other than that I don't mind the goalie pick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can get behind the hoarding of goalie prospects. If you hit on 1 out of 10, you have your franchise goalie for 8+ years. A legit #1 will keep you competitive for that whole time

Interesting to see which goalie will make it out the best. Seems like every year it changes. Wells great 2 years ago, meh last year. Skinner amazing last year. Ellis great 2 years ago, solid this year, retired. Brossoit good to great in ahl, ok in nhl, on way out of org

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not opposed to the pick itself but rather Chia burning all these picks on goalies. In Chiarelli's time here, these are the draft picks used to select or acquire goalies.

2015 - 2nd round (57), 3rd round (79), 7th round (184)
2016 - 5th round (123)
2017 - 3rd round (82), 5th round (126)
2018 - 3rd round (71), 4th round (102) , 5th round (133)
2019 - 5th (TBD)

That's 10 picks so far. Who we have left to show for it is Talbot, Wells, Skinner, Montoya, Rodrigue and now Hawkey. Granted most of the picks were beyond pick 100, and if our prospects were well stocked, then fine, but we are lean on forward prospects right now and probably decent for defensive prospects overall now. I'd rather have had one or two more forward prospects to come in on the cheap over the next few years.

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not opposed to the pick itself but rather Chia burning all these picks on goalies. In Chiarelli's time here, these are the draft picks used to select or acquire goalies.

2015 - 2nd round (57), 3rd round (79), 7th round (184)
2016 - 5th round (123)
2017 - 3rd round (82), 5th round (126)
2018 - 3rd round (71), 4th round (102) , 5th round (133)
2019 - 5th (TBD)

That's 10 picks so far. Who we have left to show for it is Talbot, Wells, Skinner, Montoya, Rodrigue and now Hawkey. Granted most of the picks were beyond pick 100, and if our prospects were well stocked, then fine, but we are lean on forward prospects right now and probably decent for defensive prospects overall now. I'd rather have had one or two more forward prospects to come in on the cheap over the next few years.
If Skinner, Rodrigue, and Hawkey keep progressing the way they are we most definitely won't be using any picks higher than the 5th round to draft goalies imo.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If one of these guys ends up being the real deal they should be ready for the second half of Mcdavids contract. Why the hell not.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
If anything, they'd have better insight on this kid and it's why they traded up to get him.

Like they had on David Musil, Keegan Lowe, Mitch Moroz, Laurent Brossoit, Henrik Samuelsson, Griffin Reinhart, Travis Ewanyk, Martin Gernat, Martin Marincin?

This management team.:help:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like they had on David Musil, Keegan Lowe, Mitch Moroz, Laurent Brossoit, Henrik Samuelsson, Griffin Reinhart, Travis Ewanyk, Martin Gernat, Martin Marincin?

This management team.:help:
That management team isnt in charge of drafting or running hockey operations. So......

Edit: Except Keegan Lowe who they brought in to be an AHL vet and is doing that job extremely well. And the Reinhart trade but that's something else.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Jake Wise still wouldn't be there with our original pick

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Don't hate the pick. Just curious why Svoboda was let go if goalie was such a concern

Yeah, me too. I also like the pick, but I'm surprised that Svoboda signing with Nashville was kinda swept under the rug.

He killed it in the Czech League this year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don't hate the pick. Just curious why Svoboda was let go if goalie was such a concern

Because he was a 22 year old playing in the 2nd tier Czech league. Good on him for stepping it up last year and earning a contract, but the guy wasn’t really worth a contract back in 2017

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Because he was a 22 year old playing in the 2nd tier Czech league. Good on him for stepping it up last year and earning a contract, but the guy wasn’t really worth a contract back in 2017
I thought it was something like that. They drafted him as 20 year old hoping he would have a big year so they could bring him over to compete, right? And he basically didn't do that.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Jake Wise still wouldn't be there with our original pick
No but he is definitely worth trading up for.
I have no problems drafting goalies, infact theres a few i wish we drafted last year in addition to Skinner. I just feel this was a weird year where there were quite a few forwards available in the 3rd round that would normally be early - mid 2nd round selections in most years.

With such a lack of decent forward prospects in the system its just an opportunity missed to me is all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad