2018: 3rd Pick: Olivier Rodrigue (G)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hopefully we're done with picking goalies for awhile unless there is a high end goalie that we can't pass up.

Yeah I’m ok with picking the best goalie in the draft and then calling it done for goalies.

High end RHD - check
High skill center - check
Top rated goalie - check

Not much to complain about. Add a few more skill forwards and I’m very pleased with the draft.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Great pick, drafting and developing goalies has worked wonderfully of the Oilers.

How much time did we spend spoon feeding Dubnyk, only for him to finally become a real NHL goalie for another team?

I am no fan of wasting picks on goalies. Every single offseason there are decent goalies available at very reasonable prices.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Imo this is our last goalie pick for a while. Our system is now loaded. Probably take next year off.

Nhl
Talbot
Koskinen

AHL
Skinner
Montoya/Brossoit

Echl
Starrett

Junior
Wells
Rodrigue

Reactions: Senor Catface

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Management and development coaches have definitely stayed the same throughout the years in Edmonton.

Skinner also had an awful year! What a dumb pick that was
Your being sarcastic right? Because all of our picks, including Kemp, had fantastic years and all have signed ELCs.... except Skyler Brind whatever

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Imo this is our last goalie pick for a while. Our system is now loaded. Probably take next year off.

Nhl
Talbot
Koskinen

AHL
Skinner
Montoya/Brossoit

Echl
Starrett

Junior
Wells
Rodrigue
Skinners more likely to go back to Junior, just based on Age imo

I like the Rodrigue pick, but don like the trade, I don’t think Chiarelli gave his scouts enough bullets.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I have no problem stacking up on goalies. Its like throwing darts at a dartboard, hopefully one turns out to be a starter in the bigs one day. Its a long ways away but why not load up if even 1 out of 10 makes an impact. Im very happy with our draft this year, the prospect pool is starting to look respectable for the first time in forever

Reactions: Game 8

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
How have they earned leeway?

Get back to me when a couple of guys they picked are above average NHL regulars.
Get back to me when the same scouting staff we have now takes a goalie in the higher rounds that busts.

Reactions: nabob

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
In 2015 the Flyers used a 3rd round pick on Sandstrom, the following year - despite already having a stud goalie prospect - they spend a 2nd round pick on Carter Hart. Don't think they have any regrets. Nor should we if Skinner and Rodrigue both pan out. I fail to see how depth is bad. Should create healthy rivalry/competition.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017

Nhl
Talbot
Koskinen

AHL
Skinner
Montoya/Brossoit

Echl
Starrett

Junior
Wells
Rodrigue

And then Chia trades for yet another goalie :(

Seriously, Keith Gretzky needs these picks. Imagine another Maksimov in the 5th round.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Imagine having to trade two or three draft picks because we couldn’t draft our own.
Are you helping me prove my point, or are you one of the ones who's against drafting goalies because our previous scouting staff sucked at it?

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that we haven't drafted any Jack Campbells, I'm more than happy drafting legit goalie prospects in the 3rd rounds.

Skinner, Rodrigue, Hawkey. We have some legit guys here. (Never been a huge have of Wells, but he to possibly)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Are you helping me prove my point, or are you one of the ones who's against drafting goalies because our previous scouting staff sucked at it?

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that we haven't drafted any Jack Campbells, I'm more than happy drafting legit goalie prospects in the 3rd rounds.

Skinner, Rodrigue, Hawkey. We have some legit guys here. (Never been a huge have of Wells, but he to possibly)

I’m saying I’d rather use a later round pick on a goalie or a late 2nd on a very good goalie than trade a 1st or multiple picks for a goalie who could still be a question mark.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was trying to put my finger on who he reminds me of stylistically and I'm embarrassed it took me this long to realize it. He reminds me a lot of Price in the way that he's very mobile and very controlled, deliberate, and efficient in his movements.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I was trying to put my finger on who he reminds me of stylistically and I'm embarrassed it took me this long to realize it. He reminds me a lot of Price in the way that he's very mobile and very controlled, deliberate, and efficient in his movements.
In his interview he says he wants to be like Price and models his game after him so...good eye.

Reactions: nabob

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I really hate this pick, was so many skilled forwards with top 6 potential available... This guy better turn out lol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I really hate this pick, was so many skilled forwards with top 6 potential available... This guy better turn out lol

Really? Who would you say?

I see a lot of guys I'd project as 3rd liners taken in the 3rd, but only a few smaller guys taken there that I would consider a potential top 6 skilled forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad