2018: 3rd Pick: Olivier Rodrigue (G)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't really get why we keep trading up for goalies. Why waste additional picks when you can acquire actual NHL goaltenders for cheap anyway? It's not like goalie is even a huge need for this organization right now we have Talbot, Koskinen, Brossoit, Ellis, Starrett, Skinner, Wells already.

Would've rather used this pick on Wise or McBain or tried to trade up for Morozov/Olofsson/Hållander.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't really get why we keep trading up for goalies. Why waste additional picks when you can acquire actual NHL goaltenders for cheap anyway? It's not like goalie is even a huge need for this organization right now we have Talbot, Koskinen, Brossoit, Ellis, Starrett, Skinner, Wells already.

Would've rather used this pick on Wise or McBain or tried to trade up for Morozov/Olofsson/Hållander.

Brossoit is a free agent who probably won't be re-signed and Ellis retired.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Number one ranked goalie on many lists. Volume matters for goalie prospects. Just need one of wells/Skinner/Rodrigue to work out now. Don’t hate the pick at all. Just wish we had more bullets in this draft.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Brossoit is a free agent who probably won't be re-signed and Ellis retired.

We still got plenty and they're not expensive to acquire. Talbot was acquired for a couple of picks, Koskinen for free and that's our goaltending duo this coming season. No need to waste multiple assets to take them in the draft or even use high picks on them.

With using a 4th on Montoya too now we don't have any pick in 3rd, 4th or 5th round. That's a lot of prospects we're missing out on for no real good reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Don't think they are going to qualify Brossoit and Ellis retired so that probably played into their decision to replenish the goalie pipeline.

I guess they figured it was good value but the optics suck with daddy being the goalie coach, hate when the Oilers do stuff like this. Goaltending is so vital in this league so it's not the worst thing in the world to get the #1 NA ranked goalie and have more goalie ammo to work with.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I don't hate this but its still a little wierd when they need some forward prospects.
Goalies are such crapshoots. You don't want to draft them early because they are so unpredictable but you don't want to draft them late, because by the time they spend 6 years developing they probably wont be in the organization anymore.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I really like this pick, I have a feeling this one will be a good one to bump in the future considering all the hate Rodrigue is getting.

We probably have one of the best goalie prospect pools in the NHL now

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I even like the little I've seen of Rodrigue, but taking goalies are just voodoo so why take them early? In every mock draft I've been in this year I've passed on goalies until the late rounds. I just don't think it's worth picking them early, and even less so moving up to get them. There's no guarantee a guy like Rodrigue will be better than Jesper Myrenberg from Sweden who may go late or not at all. I also think Rangers are stupid to take Lindbom in the 2nd round. Either way I think guys like McBain, Demin and Wise are way easier to project as NHLers going forward too than a goalie, especially a goalie who is on the smaller side.

Reactions: Summary

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'm more upset that we have used so many picks on goaltenders. Always want bullets at the draft.

Like others have said, Rodrigue is the top rated NA goaltender and even goaltender period in the draft. The Avs took a goaltender (speaking of teams that use picks on goaltenders) and were likely salivating at Rodrigue. Will likely be a WJC candidate in another year (late birthday right?)

Welcome to the Oilers, look forward to tracking your success!

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->