Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didn't really know much about him last year/still don't. Can someone fill me in why he was ranked a decent amount off the board compared to where we picked him if he's capable of playing in the K? Was it the russian factor or a lack of scouting from some teams?

He played in the MHL league in Russia. Have you ever heard of this league prior to hearing about Romanov? Habs ran a combine in Sweden and they likely got a good look at his mobility and skating in that combine. Hard to tell if they were high on him prior to the combine.

There are still lots of Habs fans that don't know much about him even after he made the KHL roster this year. He is an intriguing prospect for sure.

Reactions: Saundies

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't see today's game but he was down to 7:02 in TOI, his lowest since the 3rd game of the season. Was a -1

In 11 games he's got 0 pts, +4, 2 pims and 8:56 TOI

Jul 6, 2016
Didn't see today's game but he was down to 7:02 in TOI, his lowest since the 3rd game of the season. Was a -1

In 11 games he's got 0 pts, +4, 2 pims and 8:56 TOI

Ryan McLeod could had been a good pick instead of him ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Romanov didn't get much ice time today because it was a game filled with penalties, particularly the third. He doesn't play special teams yet so he spent a good chunk of the game on the bench when he'd normally be out there getting shifts. His -1 today is also the first time this season that he was on the ice for a goal against. And upon reading around, it wasn't a goal he was really responsible for. He went up the ice to join the rush, but the puck was turned over and the guys who were supposed to cover for Romanov didn't do a good job and they got scored on.

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pretty good stats for an 18 year old defenseman in the KHL. Also, they are developing him. Novel concept I know.

They aren't developing him, they are one of the top teams in the KHL, they are there to win. They will do what's best for CSKA as they know he'll be gone either after next season or a year or two after. I used to follow Russian hockey closely back when we had Kostitsyn, Emelin, Korneev, Grabovski, now that was a long time ago but I doubt much has changed in that they know they are going to lose the drafted kids to the NHL so there's no point in trying to develop them.

I mean it's impressive that at 18 he's had almost 9 minutes per game average, I'm sure he's learning a ton and hopefully he can build off that in the future to help us win games.

Reactions: Peanut and cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
They aren't developing him, they are one of the top teams in the KHL, they are there to win. They will do what's best for CSKA as they know he'll be gone either after next season or a year or two after. I used to follow Russian hockey closely back when we had Kostitsyn, Emelin, Korneev, Grabovski, now that was a long time ago but I doubt much has changed in that they know they are going to lose the drafted kids to the NHL so there's no point in trying to develop them.

I mean it's impressive that at 18 he's had almost 9 minutes per game average, I'm sure he's learning a ton and hopefully he can build off that in the future to help us win games.
Even more impressive! Thanks for the info!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can Romanov be transferred to Laval as of next year?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He played in the MHL league in Russia. Have you ever heard of this league prior to hearing about Romanov? Habs ran a combine in Sweden and they likely got a good look at his mobility and skating in that combine. Hard to tell if they were high on him prior to the combine.

There are still lots of Habs fans that don't know much about him even after he made the KHL roster this year. He is an intriguing prospect for sure.
You really should know about the MHL, man. Top two Euro junior league easily. That said Russian defensemen are not usually held in high regard, especially those playing in Russia.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can Romanov be transferred to Laval as of next year?

he's under contract with CSKA so he would have to buy out his remaining year (next season) but I would wait and see how this year goes first. Next year he could be a bit higher up on their depth chart and he should be a lock for the WJC's.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he's under contract with CSKA so he would have to buy out his remaining year (next season) but I would wait and see how this year goes first. Next year he could be a bit higher up on their depth chart and he should be a lock for the WJC's.

Thanks.

However, wouldn't he have much better coaching and more assured ice time in Laval?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Thanks.

However, wouldn't he have much better coaching and more assured ice time in Laval?
Perhaps, but CSKA is a powerhouse with loads of money, I'm sure their coaching is more than adequate. I'm sure his role with the team will only grow with time, and the Habs have a huge logjam on the backend, so I'm happy with him staying in Russia for a year, if not more.

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks.

It would be good to get him over here cause the problem then becomes if he plays really well next year then CSKA will offer him much more then he would make in the AHL and then you would have to hope that at some point he wants to be in the NHL but be willing to risk leaving a top team (which means he'll likely get all kinds of perks like free car, housing, etc...)

I would just wait and see how this year goes, playing for a top team in the KHL and the WJC's would be very good experience, and I'm just not a big fan of 19 year olds in the AHL although in his case at least he'd be under contract and in North America. That said bringing him over at 20 would be more ideal to me depending on how things go this year.

odd that your post quoting me didn't show up in my alerts. I don't think i've seen that happen before.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It would be good to get him over here cause the problem then becomes if he plays really well next year then CSKA will offer him much more then he would make in the AHL and then you would have to hope that at some point he wants to be in the NHL but be willing to risk leaving a top team (which means he'll likely get all kinds of perks like free car, housing, etc...)

I would just wait and see how this year goes, playing for a top team in the KHL and the WJC's would be very good experience, and I'm just not a big fan of 19 year olds in the AHL although in his case at least he'd be under contract and in North America. That said bringing him over at 20 would be more ideal to me depending on how things go this year.

I think the age thing needs to be adjusted according to who the player is. If a 19 year old is mature physically and plays a very physical game, we might want to make an exception and consider him ready for AHL play rather than leave him in an environment where his playing time has been all over the place.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the age thing needs to be adjusted according to who the player is. If a 19 year old is mature physically and plays a very physical game, we might want to make an exception and consider him ready for AHL play rather than leave him in an environment where his playing time has been all over the place.

well that's why at the end of the year we'll see where his ice time ended up and if he makes the WJC team this year or not, how far does CSKA go. Emelin won 2 cups in the KHL before he came over, which had to be a great experience for him. That said we'll see since he's not signed so until he is it doesn't matter what we want.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
well that's why at the end of the year we'll see where his ice time ended up and if he makes the WJC team this year or not, how far does CSKA go. Emelin won 2 cups in the KHL before he came over, which had to be a great experience for him. That said we'll see since he's not signed so until he is it doesn't matter what we want.

Emelin ended up getting gooned up pretty bad, needed a face-plate after he got pummeled while unconscious on the ice. Might have just been the type of trench warfare that characterized Emelin's era, I don't know how violent the KHL is now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Emelin ended up getting gooned up pretty bad, needed a face-plate after he got pummeled while unconscious on the ice. Might have just been the type of trench warfare that characterized Emelin's era, I don't know how violent the KHL is now.

so far in the 3 games i've seen it hasn't been physical but the KHL wasn't so much known for that other then I remember one team loading up on goons. Emelin did like to go at people pretty aggressively as we saw by how much Lucic hated him so that easily could have happened here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
so far in the 3 games i've seen it hasn't been physical but the KHL wasn't so much known for that other then I remember one team loading up on goons. Emelin did like to go at people pretty aggressively as we saw by how much Lucic hated him so that easily could have happened here.

Thing is, going for big open ice hits, is in Romanov's DNA. He's going to have to answer for it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thing is, going for big open ice hits, is in Romanov's DNA. He's going to have to answer for it.

I've seen him play 8 or 9 games and he wasn't physical at all in any of them. He would take the body but it was more like bumping into them. I saw he's had some big hits in clips/gifs so maybe as he gets more comfortable out there he'll throw bigger hits as his skating, speed, mobility will make it easy for him to connect.

I think he's far behind Emelin in terms of physical play as Emelin was fearless, almost reckless and borderline dirty at times. But yes if Romanov starts dishing out big hits consistently like Emelin he's going to have to answer for it wherever he plays.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
turned on the game while working, only caught the 3rd but I don't think he stepped on the ice at all. He ended up with 7:13 TOI. After seeing his ice time on the rise, 2 of the last 3 games now he's had just over 7 minutes and in 7 of his 13 overall games he's been under 10 minutes.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It nice that he made the KHL but how I prefer to see him get more ice time even if it is in a lower league. I ’m hoping that it will at least increase the chances to see him at the WJC.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I've seen him play 8 or 9 games and he wasn't physical at all in any of them. He would take the body but it was more like bumping into them. I saw he's had some big hits in clips/gifs so maybe as he gets more comfortable out there he'll throw bigger hits as his skating, speed, mobility will make it easy for him to connect.

I think he's far behind Emelin in terms of physical play as Emelin was fearless, almost reckless and borderline dirty at times. But yes if Romanov starts dishing out big hits consistently like Emelin he's going to have to answer for it wherever he plays.
Romanov seems to be doing this a fair amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad