Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Love that interview, guy seems to breathe and live hockey.
I mean, look at his bloodline. It's obviously too soon to jump the gun, but the team drafted a real promising prospect in Romanov.

Does he make Russia's WJC team this year if healthy?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean, look at his bloodline. It's obviously too soon to jump the gun, but the team drafted a real promising prospect in Romanov.

Does he make Russia's WJC team this year if healthy?
I have to think he does. He's playing in the KHL at this point and there's not that much russian D's that seem better than him at 19 years old.

Alexeyev is the best u20 russian D so he's a lock, Samorukov is also a lock since he made it last year, Lyakhov seems to have a good chance of making it as a 19 years old playing in the KHL, after those three, he'd be the best D left, with guys like Zhuravlyov, Morozov, etc.

I'm now 100% sure he makes it, funny how a month changes things, and the fact he is making it is just amazing TBH, he's a legit prospect now.

Edit: Some editing problems in there...

Last edited:

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
If we do a re-draft right now, would he be a legit early 2nd round pick with what he is showing or he would still be a reach!?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If we do a re-draft right now, would he be a legit early 2nd round pick with what he is showing or he would still be a reach!?

Legit early 2nd round, no doubt. Making the CSKA and playing regularly would be a good start to a d+1 for a 1st round pick.

An example would be a forward who was highly touted to start the season in Denisenko. He plays limited minutes as a forward for a weaker team (a very good season for a d+1 F would be around 0.5 ppg). I haven't crunched the numbers, but it seems easier for forward to make their teams this young.

Zhuravlyov, who I thought was Russias best D on the NT, is struggling in the VHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Great stuff. It's looking like he's slowly translating his game to the pros.

After rewatching the games post draft, that's what struck me. He had a mature game with pro ready skating and strength.

his strength is surprising as he doesn't look that strong but I notice he barely ever gets knocked down so playing against much older players and he more then holds his own.

Let's dream a bit, if somehow in the best of situations, he became a clone of Niklas Kronwall or a modern Vladimir Konstantinov, we'd be in business for a while... :nod:

I still don't see a big physical game in him, i've seen him maybe 10 times now, he will take the body for sure but most of his hits are average. I've seen some clips of big hits though, and he's got the skating/speed that he'll be able to hit someone really good and once he fills out his frame more i'm sure those hits will be more nasty. I just think they should have never said Emelin's name as I watched him after we drafted him and imo they aren't much alike although Romanov is doing this at 18 while Emelin didn't see much time at 18 but had a big season at 19.

In watching Romanov I see someone that has offensive instincts as he seems to want to jump into the play but depending on the game, his shifts can be all over the place since he doesn't play any special teams or even during 4 on 4. So he doesn't get a lot of chances and seems to prefer to keep it simple for the most part unless he sees a chance to go on the offensive. He will take the body for sure, he throws at least one hit a game, most of the hits I've seen are more just finishing checks and not like Emelin where he looked like he was trying to injure someone or at least make their life uncomfortable for the time being.

What i like is when I looked at his MHL games he didn't seem that solid in his own end but showed some things in the offensive zone. Now in the KHL at 18 and at times playing his off position in the 4 or 5 games he rarely makes a mistake in his own end. So there is hope that over the next few years he could turn into something pretty solid.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Let me say this, I'm in the pro-Timmins camp as I think he does a good job, his weakness being the 1st round (which sucks)

If Romanov becomes something in the next few years, please all give credits to the man & not saying he got lucky on that pick. He reached hard to get this guy. I'll be completely honest, I didn't know him at all and I consider myself above average on prospects/amateur scouting

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Damn maybe drafting him in the 2nd round was the right move

Still remains to be seen by a mile. There are almost no interesting rookies in the KHL this year. Kovalenko is amongst the most interesting rookie and he was picked in the 6th round. A mistake I think but nonetheless. I look at the rest of the 2nd round and there are surely a few names I still would have picked.

Having said that...just being a regular right now is a great feature. For sure. It's encouraging.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched today's game, he finished with 13:50 TOI, which puts his last 3 games all at the highs of the season. That said it wasn't his best game, not bad just some little mistakes early on. He was playing a lot in the 1st, with Nesterov again and it was the top pairing as they had the most TOI. But he played less and less as the game went on and didn't seem to get much time in the 3rd although I started missing large parts due to work.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Let me say this, I'm in the pro-Timmins camp as I think he does a good job, his weakness being the 1st round (which sucks)

If Romanov becomes something in the next few years, please all give credits to the man & not saying he got lucky on that pick. He reached hard to get this guy. I'll be completely honest, I didn't know him at all and I consider myself above average on prospects/amateur scouting
Maybe if we didn’t develop our naturally gifted offensive 1st rounders out of their position? We would have better results. Also, pounding on them until they develop a neurotic fixation with defensive play doesn’t help at all. LOL I swear our team would mess up a wet dream!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Maybe if we didn’t develop our naturally gifted offensive 1st rounders out of their position? We would have better results. Also, pounding on them until they develop a neurotic fixation with defensive play doesn’t help at all. LOL I swear our team would mess up a wet dream!

Can't argue with that. Seeing Scherbak in the press box is a bit depressing... especially when our PP sucks hard

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Still remains to be seen by a mile. There are almost no interesting rookies in the KHL this year. Kovalenko is amongst the most interesting rookie and he was picked in the 6th round. A mistake I think but nonetheless. I look at the rest of the 2nd round and there are surely a few names I still would have picked.

Having said that...just being a regular right now is a great feature. For sure. It's encouraging.
Just for shit and giggles, who would you have picked??

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought they would go for Akil Thomas. I know a few liked Calen Addison or Bode Wilde.

Maybe if they went with Thomas they could have gone with Hallander instead of Olofsson. Both are looking good so far this year but in the games i've seen I've been more impressed with Hallander who also leads the team in scoring. I thought they would take Blade Jenkins over Houde.

But I don't do any scouting, I usually only see games that have Hab prospects in them so I'll see a handful of the draft eligible kids but don't pay too much attention to them. This year I've watched a few games without Hab prospects just to see some of the '19 and '20 draft eligible players.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Just for **** and giggles, who would you have picked??

I had a few names in there when I analysed the draft. Wilde, Ishakov, Thomas, Addison. I had some love for Hallander too. Even Ryan McLeod who some hated. Jack Drury would have been a nice touch too.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I should just stop jinxing people left and right.....probably the first time somebody mentions Ishakov's name in a while.....just saw on Twitter that the kid was just being stretchered off the ice with seemed to have been a very scary moment.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->