Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Since Mark Streit...none of the out of left field for Timmins worked out. That's just a fact. But they felt strongly about it. The whole damn management group seemed to have wanted him. So if he pans out, they could pad themselves in the back....but if he doesn't....maybe they should just go a little more with the consensus and stop with their gut feeling-out of left field-hidden gem, that just NEVER work.

And the insane part is that they can't even make this MHL kid come here in NA. Is he going KHL? Or is he stuck in MHL for another year? Before he jumps to the KHL the year after playing 5 minutes a game IF he plays? If you believe in the guy....can it just be mixed with the fact that you will be able to bring him and develop him? This is not a guy that will play a key role in the KHL next year.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To be fair, his out of left field picks tended to be much later. Early 2nd must mean that they really really like this kid.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Since Mark Streit...none of the out of left field for Timmins worked out. That's just a fact. But they felt strongly about it. The whole damn management group seemed to have wanted him. So if he pans out, they could pad themselves in the back....but if he doesn't....maybe they should just go a little more with the consensus and stop with their gut feeling-out of left field-hidden gem, that just NEVER work.

And the insane part is that they can't even make this MHL kid come here in NA. Is he going KHL? Or is he stuck in MHL for another year? Before he jumps to the KHL the year after playing 5 minutes a game IF he plays? If you believe in the guy....can it just be mixed with the fact that you will be able to bring him and develop him? This is not a guy that will play a key role in the KHL next year.

While I mostly agree, aren't Gallagher and Andrighetto out of the field picks ?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Not Gallagher. He was a faller because of skating and size but he was a BPA at that point. 2nd rounder wouljd have been out of left field. As far as Ghetto is concerned, we will have to wait on his progression. 'Cause if he can't follow up, chances are he's heading overseas in no time. And it won't be seen as a great pick. But yes, he was chosen earlier than expected though everybody thought he had the season to be picked up. And chances are 2013 will be seen as an awful draft year, reason why an overager was chosen so early.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You criticized basically every pick during the draft. Everything is a negative and always a failure. Wait and see.

Reactions: habsfan92

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Gallagher was a very good junior player. Only reason he was drafted that far is size and a little bit skating (for his size). Add him a couple of inches and he is potentially a top 60-90 pick. At the point it was time to draft him.

Romanov really is an out of left field pick. All lists and scouting reports i've read did not have him in the 2nd round. I would be fine with Romanov in the 3rd round. Even at the end of 2nd round. But that early in the 2nd round i don't like it at all specially since we had two 2nd round picks left. It kind of spoil our 2nd round imo. I like yolo but overall considering we had four 2nd round picks i don't think we did that well. Hope i'm proven wrong. I would not be that surprised if our 3rd and 4th round picks (66, 71, 97) do better than our 2nd round picks this year.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

No. Gallagher was a top talent, by his points, that was falling due to his lack of skating and his size. In the 5th round, he had to be the BPA at that point. Picking him in the 2nd round would have been out of left field. Ghetto might have been a little early, but we will wait before calling him a great pick.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You criticized basically every pick during the draft. Everything is a negative and always a failure. Wait and see.

Yeah, I know. I've been doing that for the past 5-7 years with absolutely no reasons. And it shows, I mean, that's why we are on top of the league right now having the best teams and one of the best prospect pool ever...lol

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Reactions: Chris Cutter

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Your report versus your commentary in the actual thread are two different things, which is strange.

The actual thread is Romanov isn't it? So what is my report say about Romanov that I don't say or say here. Then, I go on and talk about out of left field pick. So in my report as well as the thread, I do say how I don't like Romanov just like I don't like Harris right? So please, tell me, if you may, what are the differences. Thanks.

You know what the strange part is? It's that my actual repot was the closest to the draft than my posts in this very thread is. And your point was to say that I was always negative DURING the draft....

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I wouldn't say he's built like a tank though, he has the tall upright skating style and he's not skinny and at 17 I wouldn't expect to be built like a tank.

I doubt it since most HF posters likely didn't know who he was, but on an average of 10 NHL scouts they did think he would be there in the 3rd round and they had him ranked after Jordan Harris who was picked 71st overall.

https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400
I think that in a way, second-order statistics matter more than average here. If based on 10 scouts, the average is a later pick but the variability is high, then all it takes is another team to pick him before you, and that is far likelier with a flatter distribution. If we assume a distribution that is Gaussian-like, if Harris is ranked 71 with a standard-deviation of 2 or 3, and Romanov averages at 73 but with a standard deviation of 40, then the variability will bite the aficionado of first-order statistics in the butt: some other freak team likes Romanov well ahead of 73! That may be in Timmins' mind, without the statistics but rather instinct to back it up.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I hope he neither goes KHL or MHL next year. Like you said, he won't get much ice time if any in the KHL and I'm not sure what kind of improvements he'll get from playing non-playoff/down the stretch MHL games. They're somewhat unstructured and some games are basically a competition on who can carry the puck end to end (obviously exagerating).

I hope he goes VHL. The competition is good, they're men and the game is much more structured than the MHL.

Something like VHL - > KHL -> NHL could be a good path.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was no were to be found before that list came out. No scouting agency had him in the top100. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Romanov ended that high on that list because MTL was part of the teams who gave their list to Mckenzie; having Romanov somewhere absurd like 20th overall, that's normally around what you draft from on your list when you have the 38th pick. We also got Olofsson, Hillis, McShane & Fonstad who were all higher on Mckenzie list than where we actually drafted them. Also, Kotkaniemi was higher on that list than people expected, I am not so convinced that many teams had him in the top5, you need some teams having at 3 to increase his average for this to happen. MTL being part of that list could possibly explain all of that.

I hate that pick from the bottom of my heart. Yeah maybe he gets taken if you don't take him at 38th, a big maybe, but maybe not, most likely not, Russian defenseman playing in the MHL taken highly in recent years, I don't remember any, it isn't like he tear the league apart. Take the risk like any semi-intelligent team of scouts/GM would do. Tiniest balls I have seen in my life. I don't think he is any good, but that's not the point. Not moving down is poor asset management, poor judgment in regard to risk-taking. He didn't belong in the 2nd round. If you lose him, so be it, you still get a very good player at 38 (Hallander, Thomas, Wilde, Eriksson, Tychonick, etc, etc), if you get one of those but end up losing him, you can't be that sad about that unfortunate scenario, unless you think Romanov is the second coming of Karlsson, in both cases your look dumb to me.

they must like him a lot, it does seem odd with those late 2nd round picks they didn't try and grab him there unless they knew someone else was in on him.

I see that his ppg in the MHL for U-18 defensemen was 6th overall in the league for anyone that played more then say 5 games. Will be interesting to see what he does over the next couple years.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It sho am difficult to say picks won't work out when they statistically don't more often than not.

All GM's get it right, some of the time. All scouts get it right, some of the time, about as often as the fans do. If they are willing to go off the board in the second round for this kid, I think they should have made a different choice at 3, unpopular as that opinion is. Unless there is a franchise C there, with no doubt about his role as a 1st line C, I take BPA every time. Blow this thing up, Trade Weber or Price for that young C or high first round pick.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
they must like him a lot, it does seem odd with those late 2nd round picks they didn't try and grab him there unless they knew someone else was in on him.

I see that his ppg in the MHL for U-18 defensemen was 6th overall in the league for anyone that played more then say 5 games. Will be interesting to see what he does over the next couple years.

I didn't find any defenseman with good numbers playing in the MHL drafted highly in recent years. From that perspective, it seems doubtful to me that another team had him that highly. It isn't like he had crazy numbers, and for some reasons Romanov seem exempt of the Russian factor for MTL. Might as well draft Shafigullin there.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
All GM's get it right, some of the time. All scouts get it right, some of the time, about as often as the fans do. If they are willing to go off the board in the second round for this kid, I think they should have made a different choice at 3, unpopular as that opinion is. Unless there is a franchise C there, with no doubt about his role as a 1st line C, I take BPA every time. Blow this thing up, Trade Weber or Price for that young C or high first round pick.

One pick is not what I was discussing, lets leave it at that.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think that in a way, second-order statistics matter more than average here. If based on 10 scouts, the average is a later pick but the variability is high, then all it takes is another team to pick him before you, and that is far likelier with a flatter distribution. If we assume a distribution that is Gaussian-like, if Harris is ranked 71 with a standard-deviation of 2 or 3, and Romanov averages at 73 but with a standard deviation of 40, then the variability will bite the aficionado of first-order statistics in the butt: some other freak team likes Romanov well ahead of 73! That may be in Timmins' mind, without the statistics but rather instinct to back it up.

Excellent observation, and likely a big reason they took Romanov as highly as they did. They probably believed other teams were going to take him sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Redux91

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
is this Black widow brother?

No, this is Stanislav Romanov's son(Former KHL LW) & Z.Bilyaletdinov's Grandson(Former Star Defenceman for Russia in 3 Canada Cup tournaments & 8 World Championships)now GM & Head Coach for Aks Bar Kazan - KHL.(Impressive enough to remember his name 30 ++yrs. later.)

Am I the only one happy with the pick?

Watching him play, I'd say his grandfather has had some considerable influence in his career. Besides having innate abilities/talent skating/vision, which reminds of Markov (LHD). I'm quite happy knowing the Habs are aware of the possibilities of acquiring star players from Russia.(Like Detroit has done in Europe on many occasions, Datsyuk just one of those SCC assets passed over by NHL teams everywhere.)Russian Factor - very talented players being overlooked due to difficulties in travel/language probably.:huh::huh::huh: Love this pick!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad