Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sure but as a fifth round pick that's not really to be expected.

I understand. BUt the point in comparing a prospect to a NHL player is not to say that as a late pick, he'd be probably one of the best to never play the game....but to let fans know that he has a real shot not only at making it but to play a role. The way Timmins presented the kid was to tell fans and medias to just wait and they'll see what he's all about even though he was not on the CSS radar or didn't seem to be in other teams radar as well. It has to mean that he thinks he'll play in the league....not that he'll be a fine 2nd rounder that never played....

The day that you present your picks as hidden gems....it's to think that they you are actually wiser than everybody and the kid will make it. Just like there are kids who makes it in EVERY ROUND, every year. There are hidden gems. They do exist. Yet, for Timmins....aside from Streit, that is 14 years ago, it never worked.

Reactions: Et le But

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Streit wasn't a hidden gem per se, teams had seen him at the Olympics and were negociating to sign him.

Habs used a loophole in the rules regarding the draft that was basically there so that old Soviet guys could be drafted and drafted Streit even though he was WAY older than the usual draftee and a professional player.

The league then closed the loophole and defined who was draft eligible, ie 17-18 years olds who have not been passed in the draft.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Ok, I have finally figured out why I have an affection for this kid and would like to propose an official nickname for him.

My favorite all time cartoon movie is The Jungle Book, and my all time favorite cartoon character is Mowgli from the very same movie.

The resemblance is uncanny!

mogli.jpg
roman.jpg

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not even 42 point Petry. The guy we traded a 2nd for and got the next couple years would be a good return on Romanov. He does seem to have a little more chutzpah, though.

Those are the same Petry's. The 42 point one just happened to play on the first wave of a decent PP. Petry's ES production was actually better in 2016/2017. The major difference last season was that he went from the 2nd PP unit to the 1st and played a full extra minute per game on the PP.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Streit wasn't a hidden gem per se, teams had seen him at the Olympics and were negociating to sign him.

Habs used a loophole in the rules regarding the draft that was basically there so that old Soviet guys could be drafted and drafted Streit even though he was WAY older than the usual draftee and a professional player.

The league then closed the loophole and defined who was draft eligible, ie 17-18 years olds who have not been passed in the draft.

Prips to gainey for that. It's a bit odd that other team's didn't go for streit then, or were they just simply not aware?

Going into the final round, it should be a no brainier that you take a chance on an international player in his prime with some question marks, as opposed to a young kid that is highly unlikely to get a sniff.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I know he's commited to KHL for next 2 years, but with Simon Bourque out, we have another spot open. Maybe another great surprise still to come

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I know he's commited to KHL for next 2 years, but with Simon Bourque out, we have another spot open. Maybe another great surprise still to come

Valiev - Taormina
Moravcik- Lernout
Skelincka- Melancon
Plant

Not much of a spot there on LD, especially if one/both of Mete/Juulsen are sent down or Despres is signed.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

Mete
Reilly
Alzner
Valiev
Benn
Schlemko
Ouellet
Moravcik
Sklenicka
Plant
Taormina
Melancon
Culkin

We still have way too many LDs as is.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Interesting, thanks

Just wanted to add that Russia usually fills their roster with overragers (19 years old) which is the reason why he probably won't be playing this year. Svechnikov was an exception last year, he did not get much playing time.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Just wanted to add that Russia usually fills their roster with overragers (19 years old) which is the reason why he probably won't be playing this year. Svechnikov was an exception last year, he did not get much playing time.

Hey look, when we aren't ripping each other apart we learn something here. Thanks

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Prips to gainey for that. It's a bit odd that other team's didn't go for streit then, or were they just simply not aware?

Going into the final round, it should be a no brainier that you take a chance on an international player in his prime with some question marks, as opposed to a young kid that is highly unlikely to get a sniff.

Prips to you too!

Reactions: Mrb1p and jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched another game from the MHL, it was from 2-24-18. It was a wild one, 10-3. He had 1g, 1a, +3. Played on the PP and PK. His goal was on the PP mid 3rd, he fake a shot from the point and wristed it low stick side. Kind of a weak goal but smart move and good job getting it on net as too many think they need to blast it when you can still score as long as it gets through or it could turn into a rebound. His assist was a nice pass from his own redline to the blueline. His skating is effortless, he has that upright skating like Hainsey so I think he looks a little taller then he is. Can't wait to see where he plays next year and how he does.

Also I really like his teammate Yegor Filin, he's small as heck though. Had a great game, although Iskhakov is the one that has stood out more.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Watched another game from the MHL, it was from 2-24-18. It was a wild one, 10-3. He had 1g, 1a, +3. Played on the PP and PK. His goal was on the PP mid 3rd, he fake a shot from the point and wristed it low stick side. Kind of a weak goal but smart move and good job getting it on net as too many think they need to blast it when you can still score as long as it gets through or it could turn into a rebound. His assist was a nice pass from his own redline to the blueline. His skating is effortless, he has that upright skating like Hainsey so I think he looks a little taller then he is. Can't wait to see where he plays next year and how he does.

Also I really like his teammate Yegor Filin, he's small as heck though. Had a great game, although Iskhakov is the one that has stood out more.
Romanov's skating is damn near Mete level, that's the first thing I noticed about him and my main takeaway from my viewings. He's very agressive thanks to that, especially on defense, where he likes to engage physically and close the gap early. His plus mobility alone should give him a shot at something of a pro career, if nothing else.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Andrei79

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Romanov's skating is damn near Mete level, that's the first thing I noticed about him and my main takeaway from my viewings. He's very agressive thanks to that, especially on defense, where he likes to engage physically and close the gap early. His plus mobility alone should give him a shot at something of a pro career, if nothing else.
If that is indeed the case, I cannot blame the team for getting a player like that (Mete-like mobility, Emelin-like checking ability, howitzer shot, grandson of a national team coach) so early, especially given how other gems panned out throughout this draft, at least based on their current promise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig