Post-Game Talk: 2018/2019 Stanley Cup Champions! St. Louis Blues!

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Watching game 7 live I thought it was weird when Doc said the Blues at the bench looked grim with 1 minute left. Right before he started speaking the camera showed the bench with Barbashev yelling because he was pumped up. He then doubled down by saying all the Blues coaches had seen a comeback from a 3 goal lead in the final minute of a game.

I’ve searched a fair amount and I can’t find anywhere a team came back from a 3 goal deficit in the final minute of a game.

It was kind of a weird series of his thoughts.

The next break came with :52 seconds left. He then rattles off some games after Berube took over that the Blues got beat by a wide margin.

Maybe it seems weirder to me because I’m accustomed to the National media’s track record concerning the Blues. It’s still weird every time I watch game 7.

This one has been eating at me, and I just watched game 7 again.......and it hit me. Emrick's comment that the Blues bench looked grim was a gaffe. He was actually talking about the Bruins' bench. The comment about the 3 goal lead makes a little more sense in that light, too.

While I don't remember 3 goals in the final minute (74 seconds was when he mentioned it), 3 goals in a 74 second span at some stretch of a game has happened many times. If you are sitting on the bench looking at a 3-goal deficit, that thought makes more sense than if you are sitting on the bench looking at a 3-goal lead.

Our Cliff Clavin "it's a little known fact" of the day is something I just looked up:in 1952, Bill Mosienko scored 3 for the Black Hawks in :21. Helluva hat trick.

His summing things up with :52 left was trying to talk about the unlikely path the Blues took, literally hitting the bottom (in many ways) before being where they were at that point. That didn't bother me, and I did get a chuckle out of it when he said "and shortly after the new year the goalie came in." And that is my gaffe.....it is THE goalie came in.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Great pic from the Keeper of the Cup

EDu0bntWkAAuyzg.jpg

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My girlfriend is out of town and my plan for the evening is to crack open a new single barrel bourbon and watch all 4 wins from the Final while exploring the retro Super Nintendo catalog that just released on the Nintendo Switch.

I haven't rewatched any of the games since watching them live. I watched games 5-7 at the watch parties in St. Louis, which was great but definitely a less analytical watch than usual for me. I'm very, very excited to watch them on my home TV and with the Canadian broadcast crews. Zero chance I make it through tonight without crying.

Edit: I totally forgot that Traverse City started today. Well now I don't know what to do.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My girlfriend is out of town and my plan for the evening is to crack open a new single barrel bourbon and watch all 4 wins from the Final while exploring the retro Super Nintendo catalog that just released on the Nintendo Switch.

I haven't rewatched any of the games since watching them live. I watched games 5-7 at the watch parties in St. Louis, which was great but definitely a less analytical watch than usual for me. I'm very, very excited to watch them on my home TV and with the Canadian broadcast crews. Zero chance I make it through tonight without crying.

Edit: I totally forgot that Traverse City started today. Well now I don't know what to do.
This man knows how to properly live.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

Sadly, I can't say the same. I re-watch my DVR Game 7 at least once a week. I still get emotional over that game. My wife just shakes her head. I've been holding off watching the DVD that came in the mail a few weeks ago. May crack that open this weekend.

Mar 6, 2012
Rewatching the games it really stands out how well they were playing most of the time. The team was just in sync and firing on all cylinders. It was so nerve racking at the time, that sometimes it was hard to notice it in the moment, but going back it's incredible how relentless and aggressive they were. It's fun to watch without that pit in your stomach the whole time.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sadly, I can't say the same. I re-watch my DVR Game 7 at least once a week. I still get emotional over that game. My wife just shakes her head. I've been holding off watching the DVD that came in the mail a few weeks ago. May crack that open this weekend.
Absolutely nothing "sadly" about anything you posted.

I really enjoyed the blu Ray. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a fantastic watch.

Reactions: 67Blues

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I'm visiting my brother in Colorado and we went to the cards rockies game today. I wore my blues shirt and had so many conversations with strangers about the cup win, it was awesome.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
It's still so awesome you guys won your 1st Stanley Cup! I wonder how Toronto fans feel about their team :snide:

Reactions: shmotz

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Did MDZ get on because he played in 41 regular season games even though only a couple were for us?

If so, it was just barely. He had 23 games with Vancouver, 12 games with Anaheim and 7 with St Louis: 42 games total.

I hadn't remembered him getting traded twice during the season.

I can't believe he got there by petition. It has to be that they applied the 41 game rule, and games played on his other teams factored in.

Reactions: BlueDream

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Jake Allen second player behind only Petro #GOAT
No Mike Yeo? Without his incompetence, we would not have had Chief!

The cool thing is that I'll live the rest of my life knowing that the Blues will be on a ring on the current Cup (64 year before that ring is removed I believe). I'll be long gone before that.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Did MDZ get on because he played in 41 regular season games even though only a couple were for us?
Nope. The rule is number of games with the club. That may have been part of our decision to petition for him over MacMac, but it was not an automatic qualifier.

2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. This link is the closest thing to an official statement by the league and every other non-NHL source uses the same language or says "with the championship team." I didn't find a single source that just said 41 NHL games.

I'd bet money that Petro went to bat for him since they are close friends and that the team deferred to him since neither MacMac nor MDZ had major contributions. MacMac played more regular season games (29 vs 7), but his 5 points in that stupid small sample size is less impressive than MDZ's 3 points in the even more stupidly small sample size. I don't think you can look at either and say "having this guy in there tangibly contributed to the Cup." Given that MDZ is older, significantly more known/respected by NHL vets and friends with the captain, it isn't absurd to put him on there over MacMac.

I'd guess that MDZ had a bigger voice in the locker room than MacMac, but that is purely a guess.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Considering we only had 23 players who automatically qualified to get engraved, that left a lot of room for the front office to choose names to get to 52. Del Zotto going on is a surprise, but looking through the list of guys in the front office I had about 48 total not counting the amateur scouts or any of the executives after Stillman, Armstrong and Zimmerman. I had Dave Farrish [pro scout] on, Vopat off. I didn't have Squier on, I didn't have Jankowski on. [I figured the Blues would add 4 names to fill out to 52, but didn't know who would get tabbed.]

The biggest surprise for me is that Pleau didn't go on; next is that neither development coach [Glen Wesley, Dave Rogalski] went on. I haven't seen anything explaining how the decided who from the front office went on after the obvious names, but I'm guessing there were some names pulled out of a hat and perhaps someone [Pleau] gave up their spot to let someone else get on there who might otherwise never make it on.

Doesn't matter. ST. LOUIS BLUES is legitimately engraved on the Cup, it's going to be on there for the next ~64 years and then on a band on display in the HHOF thereafter.

Mar 6, 2012
Apparently all you have to do is play 41 NHL games with any team to qualify to be on there. Del Zotto played in a total of 42.

Reactions: BlueDream

Mar 6, 2012
It really STILL doesn't feel real.

It's going to be so weird going forward too. I would say the number one defining characteristic of the entire franchise was the fact that they could never get over that mountain... and now? It's like we've completely reset everything. It's a really unnatural feeling.

Mar 6, 2012
I agree. It just looks so sloppy.

I get the whole tradition angle, but surely there has to be a technique that can give you a more hand crafted look while at the same time not looking so rough.

Eh, I mean, you know... I don't actually care about this at all... but as a professional typographer/typography nerd, it makes my eye twitch.

Reactions: Spektre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad