Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is it wrong of me to prefer we draft top 3 than make the playoffs?

I'm just tired of being mediocre. Would much rather get a foundational piece than get destroyed in round 1.

It is a lose-lose unfortunately.

Making the playoffs is good for business but not great in terms of accumulating high end skilled players.

Bottoming out gets us high end skilled players but it is looking like those players are going to start getting massive contracts right away. We probably couldn't have kept Matthews, if we had drafted him and he had been as good for us, for example.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Good for Parker Kelly to get his name out there for when training camp comes around. It won't hurt, that's for sure.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good for Parker Kelly to get his name out there for when training camp comes around. It won't hurt, that's for sure.
I thought he was one of the better players in last yr's rookie tournament in Laval. He hustles all over the ice, he's fast, he hits & he can put up some numbers, he seems to have a non-stop motor.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I thought he was one of the better players in last yr's rookie tournament in Laval. He hustles all over the ice, he's fast, he hits & he can put up some numbers, he seems to have a non-stop motor.
Cant have enough high energy players, now if he can put up numbers as well, that'd be fantastic

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Ottawa has the makings of a good top line down the road in Norris, Brown & Batherson & two thirds of a good second line in Tkachuk & White. If they can add a top 6 RW player from either the 2019 or 2020 draft they should be in good shape for the future with two good lines. They also have the makings of another good line with Formenton & Chlapik that also need a RWer. Two of those guys below would be very helpful in the next two drafts.

Tkachuk - White - Lavoie (2019 draft)
Tkachuk - White - Leason (2019 draft)
Tkachuk - White - Byfield (2020 draft)

Formenton - Chlapik - Leason (2019 draft)

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
After first Memorial Cup without Sens prospects since 2012 (2018 was supposed to be Bath time, oh well) we are back in it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It is a lose-lose unfortunately.

Making the playoffs is good for business but not great in terms of accumulating high end skilled players.

Bottoming out gets us high end skilled players but it is looking like those players are going to start getting massive contracts right away. We probably couldn't have kept Matthews, if we had drafted him and he had been as good for us, for example.
If you cant retain a first OA player like Matthews you shouldnt be in the league. Aka the sens shouldnt be in the NHL at this point.

Reactions: Deku

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I think Ottawa has the makings of a good top line down the road in Norris, Brown & Batherson & two thirds of a good second line in Tkachuk & White. If they can add a top 6 RW player from either the 2019 or 2020 draft they should be in good shape for the future with two good lines. They also have the makings of another good line with Formenton & Chlapik that also need a RWer. Two of those guys below would be very helpful in the next two drafts.

Tkachuk - White - Lavoie (2019 draft)
Tkachuk - White - Leason (2019 draft)
Tkachuk - White - Byfield (2020 draft)

Formenton - Chlapik - Leason (2019 draft)
I'd agree that there's a lack of strength on RW. Here's some names that I think are worth noting:

Max Veronneau
Anthony Duclair
Jonathan Davidsson
Parker Kelly
Luke Leheit
Jack Rodewald
Todd Burgess

There's a chance that ( if kept ) Duclair becomes a real solid #2RW. Failing him, Davidsson has a solid chance of top 6 role. Definitely not a lock though. I'd like to be deeper at RW, but the area I'd really like to buff up is RD. JBD is a good prospect, but I don't see a lot of top options after that coming through the ranks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd agree that there's a lack of strength on RW. Here's some names that I think are worth noting:

Max Veronneau
Anthony Duclair
Jonathan Davidsson
Parker Kelly
Luke Leheit
Jack Rodewald
Todd Burgess

There's a chance that ( if kept ) Duclair becomes a real solid #2RW. Failing him, Davidsson has a solid chance of top 6 role. Definitely not a lock though. I'd like to be deeper at RW, but the area I'd really like to buff up is RD. JBD is a good prospect, but I don't see a lot of top options after that coming through the ranks.

Both RD & RW IMO are a weakness on this team & they have the opportunity over the next few drafts to improve those two areas of weakness. Both Duclair & Kelly shoot left, but also play the right side & Burgess IMO may not be re-signed or ever even make Belleville let alone the NHL. It will be interesting to see how Kelly, Davidsson & Veronneau do in Belleville next season & not sure if Loheit is old enough to go to Belleville for next season or the season afterwards. Abramov also plays the right side but he's not a prospect I'm interested in. Rodewald had a decent yr in Belleville & could make the 4th line for next season but then again could be a career minor leaguer.

While some of these guys are somewhat interesting I don't really see any of them as future players on a contending team with the exception of maybe Kelly. We'll have a much better idea about Kelly after he's played in the AHL for a yr or so as well as the others. The draft, July 1 UFAs, development camp, rookie tournament & training camp should all be interesting this yr.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I actually forgot about Vitaly Abramov. I wouldn't be so quick to count him out. This was his first pro season after being a force in the Q for all 3 years. He's smaller, so I'm gonna give him some time to figure out the pro game. 29 points in 70 games isn't too bad for your first pro season.

I can't believe I forgot about him.

I like Kelly, but his production isn't nearly what Abramov achieved in junior. Why are you not interested in him? Is there something about his play style?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I actually forgot about Vitaly Abramov. I wouldn't be so quick to count him out. This was his first pro season after being a force in the Q for all 3 years. He's smaller, so I'm gonna give him some time to figure out the pro game. 29 points in 70 games isn't too bad for your first pro season.

I can't believe I forgot about him.

I like Kelly, but his production isn't nearly what Abramov achieved in junior. Why are you not interested in him? Is there something about his play style?
I've seen Kelly at development camps & in Laval last fall for the Rookie Tournament & he was all over the ice. He hits, he checks, he defends well & seems to have a non-stop motor, he clearly stood out for me as a hard working player & good skater that could have a chance. He plays like some of the unknown guys we are seeing now in the playoffs, 3rd or 4th line guys who do such a good job of hemming teams in their own end for long stretches of time & pop in those unexpected goals from them. It will be interesting to see how he does in Belleville or Brampton next season with some better players, hopefully he gets on a line with a couple of good forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig