2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ottawa, Vanvouver and Montreal are by far the worst teams in the league, even if Raanta is out. Islanders, Detroit and the Rangers arent far off. Buffalo, Carolina and us need everyone to stay healthy and kids to take the next steps to move into the middle tier of teams. Ducks, Devils and the Panthers are one or two significant injuries from falling below the middle tier teams (Ducks may have already had this happen).
I don't know about Vancouver, if Boeser can pick up where he left off and Petterson is the big deal everyone seems to think he's going to be Vancouver is going to surprise a lot of people. At the very least they should be able to score a good amount.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Ottawa, Vanvouver and Montreal are by far the worst teams in the league, even if Raanta is out. Islanders, Detroit and the Rangers arent far off. Buffalo, Carolina and us need everyone to stay healthy and kids to take the next steps to move into the middle tier of teams. Ducks, Devils and the Panthers are one or two significant injuries from falling below the middle tier teams (Ducks may have already had this happen).
I think we're a cut above Buffalo and Carolina. All three teams have youth in key positions but we have much more vet support.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
If Raanta has a bad year or is inured a lot, are we the worst team in the NHL?

1. Yes
2. No

Please vote.
I think even if Raanta goes down we still have a chance , becuase of the scorers we added .... Now if we end up losing Chucky or some of our center depth we may be in trouble .....

Oh wait .....

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Depth by Position -

(6) RW - 9 | Clayton Keller | Right Wing, 14 | Richard Panik | Right Wing, 36 | Christian Fischer | Right Wing, 40 | Michael Grabner | Right Wing, 45 | Josh Archibald | Right Wing*, 29 | Mario Kempe | Right Wing

(3) LW - 11 | Brendan Perlini | Left Wing, 13 | Vinnie Hinostroza | Left Wing, 67 | Lawson Crouse | Left Wing

(8) C - 21 | Derek Stepan | Center, 17 | Alex Galchenyuk | Center*, 18 | Christian Dvorak | Center*, 20 | Dylan Strome | Center, 15 | Brad Richardson | Center, 25 | Nick Cousins | Center, 12 | Laurent Dauphin | Center, 22 | Barrett Hayton | Center

(4) LD - 23 | Oliver Ekman-Larsson | Defenseman, 6 | Jakob Chychrun | Defenseman*, 33 | Alex Goligoski | Defenseman, 44 | Kevin Connauton | Defenseman

(4) RD - 55 | Jason Demers | Defenseman, 4 | Niklas Hjalmarsson | Defenseman, 82 | Jordan Oesterle | Defenseman, 46 | Ilya Lyubushkin | Defenseman

(2) G - 32 | Antti Raanta | Goaltender, 35 | Darcy Kuemper | Goaltender

* injured reserve

Kempe, Dauphin, Hayton, and Lyubushkin holding spots for injured players. This is what everybody had pencilled in since July, except Hayton hanging around due to multiple center injuries. Chakya has done an impressive job adding depth, or *optionality* if you prefer.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Re: rt's question regarding Raanta's health

We would not be the worst team for what I consider to be an obvious reasoning: we have a reasonable goalie in the AHL in Adin Hill whom I think is only a year or two away anyhow. In addition, if we were to lose Raanta for a signifcant amount of time and Kuemper doesn't look great, then we do exactly what we did last year - make trades to improve the goaltending position. We can send a late round pick or worse to a team to get someone with decent skill on an expiring contract. We would only be looking for someone to grab between 5-25 games, IMO.

And that kind of leads into the whole deal with keeping Archibald on the roster. It actually frees us up to look for the goalie in a lot of ways. Let's say that we are chasing a backup goalie from a team that is closer to the salary floor - send them Archibald's contract so that they can put him on waivers and keep his salary while even in the minors. Perfect world would be that Archibald would also fill a demand, but I would have no problem offering Archibald and a late pick to move along a trade with a team that we otherwise may not have been able to work a deal with. That goes for any trade that we have - Archibald's contract can be looked as both good and bad, depending on the deal.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

1. Yes
2. No

Please vote.

2. No.... There are some teams out there with less hope than the Yotes haha. As stated by others, look at Ott, Mtl, Van, etc. Even without any injuries they are pretty thin.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

1. Yes
2. No

Please vote.

Even in this horrible case worst-case, I'd say Coyotes are much better than last year. So not even close, and a big NO. The worst team will IMHO be Vancouver and Buffalo, I don't believe them when they say Buffalo has improved that much.

Both the Sens and Habs may have an upswing due to the evilness in all the worlds comments. Dallas, however, make me think of a possible going-down-in-flames case, to pick one a bit out of the ordinary. Yeah, and the Kings.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
haha, just thinking how many seconds it would take a certain someone to put this on the BoH, had there not for the last month been an explicit suspension of Arizona non-news like this there...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did you scan at the responses???

Someone said they'd talked to one of the leaders at Salt River and he said they'd been talking to the tribe for the last 6 months or so but currently the Yotes' ask is too much.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Did you scan at the responses???

Someone said they'd talked to one of the leaders at Salt River and he said they'd been talking to the tribe for the last 6 months or so but currently the Yotes' ask is too much.

I did not, but now I just did, thanks. And a good example of the "no news is no news" that shows up "over there".

Thing is, they literally do have years (except for the size of Barroway's wallet, which no one really knows, as has been pointed out many times :laugh:) to figure it out. The beauty of that apartment complex "you wanna keep living here? sure!" lease we have.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They need to come up with an exit plan for Demers and Goligoski. Demers can be nixed anytime, Goligoski will probably need to be dumped in the summer. Really don't need to be paying $9.5m for 2 Oesterle level players, especially when they can't be bothered to show up. Inexcusable for veterans. I have always hated their body language, especially when it comes to any sort of adversity. I believe both are boat anchors holding the team back.

Stepan had his come to the light moment, they still haven't.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Honka was scratched again last night. I think this player needs a change of scenery. Very undervalued RHD. I’d be calling up Dallas to see what they want for him. Cheap contract too, so we could actually afford him.

Reactions: Lilhoody

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
They need to come up with an exit plan for Demers and Goligoski. Demers can be nixed anytime, Goligoski will probably need to be dumped in the summer. Really don't need to be paying $9.5m for 2 Oesterle level players, especially when they can't be bothered to show up. Inexcusable for veterans. I have always hated their body language, especially when it comes to any sort of adversity. I believe both are boat anchors holding the team back.

Stepan had his come to the light moment, they still haven't.

While I agree with you that we need to find a solid replacement for Goligoski, I still have faith in Demers. He's also our only right-handed defenseman so I don't necessarily agree that he really can't be nixed at any given time, but we do need to start looking for an alternative. I like the Honka idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad