2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stepan was acquired to shelter younger players from having to play top line minutes against the opponents’ top lines.

I think even if you still take the opinion that the trade was a mistake, given what was available and who we'd likely have taken it just doesn't change the math all that much anyway.
Certainly not for our current dilemma anyway. And Keller's season likely looks a lot different.

Not to mention we'd probably not have Raanta locked up affordably if that package isn't on the table.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
So, looking at the goals we've given up (currently tied for 3rd best in the league) they have all been on really shitty positioning or complete blown assignments. Most of those were by the hands of Goligoski and Demers. Hammer, to, on a couple.

We haven't allowed more than 3 goals against in 6 games. That in iteself is decently impressive. I think the Minnesota game was a winnable game, as was the 1-0 Anaheim game.

We need to hold positioning on 2 on 2's. 3 of the 12 goals given up have been a direct reflection of both dmen biting on the puck carrier and leaving the other guy wide open. Just play good positionally and we likely dont see a couple of those goals against.

As bad as we've visually seen the defense play, these stats unfortunately tell a different story.:

Tied 3rd best in GA's at 12
Tied for 2nd in GA per game at 2.00
3rd in SA against at 25.8 ( 1 and 2 are 25.1 and 25.3)
4th in shots for per game (4th in quality scoring chances)
5th best in FO
Tied for 2nd on the PK at 92.8

If Galchenyuk comes back and we start potting some goals, the wins should come. The defense, albeit has been suspect at times, hasnt been the problem as far as our record shows.

Raanta has been as good, if not better than he was last year, he very well could be a vezina finalist.

Once healthy:

Keller - Galchenyuk - Fischer
Grabner - Stepan - Perlini
Hinostroza - Dvorak - Crouse
Panik - Strome - Cousins
Richardson

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Goligoski - Oesterle
Connauton
Lybushkin

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
No way should Strome be banished to the 4th line.

The way I see it, Tochett runs his line pretty universally. All 4 lines are played regularly. If and when Dvorak comes back and he out plays him, sure move him up. But, 1 goal in 6 games doesnt say he deserves anything more than that. Put him on the 2nd PP unit if you want. He's played well, but still needs to prove more.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Once healthy:

Keller - Galchenyuk - Fischer
Grabner - Stepan - Perlini
Hinostroza - Dvorak - Crouse
Panik - Strome - Cousins
Richardson

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Goligoski - Oesterle
Connauton
Lybushkin

who do you like on our PP and PK?

Dvorak, Chychrun, and Galchenyuk returning will be nice for us because they will ameliorate our PP. However, that means some of the other players will be pushed out. I'm curious to see who you think will be pushed out.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
who do you like on our PP and PK?

Dvorak, Chychrun, and Galchenyuk returning will be nice for us because they will ameliorate our PP. However, that means some of the other players will be pushed out. I'm curious to see who you think will be pushed out.

I do t think a whole lot of the regulars will be pushed out.

Kempe, archibald and lybushkin sent to Tucson ( I believe they are all waiver exempt)

Depending on how Dvorak is when he comes back, I can certainly see him shown the 4th line to reacclate to the game, but won’t stay there long.

There’s no doubt we’re going to see Galchenyuk at center when he returns. Now if he stays there is something to be seen. So, essentially center depth is all moved down. Chychrun will replace one of oesterle, connauton with the others swapping the press box.

The problem is, is we have five centers for four spots. Galchenyuk, Dvorak, Stepan, Strome, Richardson.

Until they all play, one will likely be moved to wing, just don’t know who.

So to answer your question:

IN
Galchenyuk
Dvorak
Chychrun

OUT
Archibald
Kempe
Lybushkin
Connauton/oesterle (trade time)

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I do t think a whole lot of the regulars will be pushed out.

Kempe, archibald and lybushkin sent to Tucson ( I believe they are all waiver exempt)

Depending on how Dvorak is when he comes back, I can certainly see him shown the 4th line to reacclate to the game, but won’t stay there long.

There’s no doubt we’re going to see Galchenyuk at center when he returns. Now if he stays there is something to be seen. So, essentially center depth is all moved down. Chychrun will replace one of oesterle, connauton with the others swapping the press box.

The problem is, is we have five centers for four spots. Galchenyuk, Dvorak, Stepan, Strome, Richardson.

Until they all play, one will likely be moved to wing, just don’t know who.

So to answer your question:

IN
Galchenyuk
Dvorak
Chychrun

OUT
Archibald
Kempe
Lybushkin
Connauton/oesterle (trade time)

My apologies, I must have worded my question poorly. I was talking specifically about special teams such as the power play and penalty kill.

It's safe to assume that Galchenyuk, Dvorak, and Chychrun will step in with a role on the powerplay when they return. That means 3 players, who are currently on the two PP lines, will be pushed out of their role on the PP. Currently here is what Tocchet has been employing on the PP:

1st PP line:
Keller - OEL
Strome - Stepan - Panik (net presence)

2nd PP line:
Goligoski - Oesterle
Perlini - Hinostroza- Fischer (net presence)

Which one of these 3 guys will be pushed out? (line formation may be erroneous but these 1o players have been used on the PP the most)
--------
As for Richardson as an extra, who will replace him on the penalty kill? And Archibald/Kempe?

ATM, the six forwards being cycled are Richardson, Grabner, Crouse, Archibald, Panik, and Stepan.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Special team wants

PP1
OEL-Keller
Galchenyuk-Strome-Fischer

PP2
Goligoski-Hinostroza
Perlini-Dvorak-Stepan

Crouse can jump in for Fischer but having two C's on both units will be nice. I wouldn't mind taking Stepan off the PP if he isnt converting when Dvo os back. Saving his energy for hard matchups and shifts could be good.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The way I see it, Tochett runs his line pretty universally. All 4 lines are played regularly. If and when Dvorak comes back and he out plays him, sure move him up. But, 1 goal in 6 games doesnt say he deserves anything more than that. Put him on the 2nd PP unit if you want. He's played well, but still needs to prove more.

Yeah but no one has scored and he has looked better than the rest of the centers. He needs more offensively talented linemates than Cousins and Panik. I'd at least flip him with Dvo in your example.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
  • Grade 3 pectoralis strains are rare, painful, debilitating, and can have long-term effects on strength, power, range of motion, and sports performance. In most cases, the muscle will never regain it original strength.
:help:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Do you guys think Stepan plans on getting a point anytime soon? I've got him in my hockey pool.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Agreed, I'd rather see Stepan on the fourth line or just make him a winger. Not a fan of him in the middle at all.
Can we put Stepan Goose and Demers on the 4th line, and then just never play it?

Do you guys think Stepan plans on getting a point anytime soon? I've got him in my hockey pool.
He sucks. He does play with Keller though, so maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad