2018-2019 Roster Discussion - Official Roster is In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The only thing the Coyotes realistically could have done differently that would actually make a difference is win lotteries.
Really? I don't recall Winnipeg winning the lottery and they built a terrific roster. I don't remember San Jose winning the lottery, nor St. Louis, nor Dallas, nor Anaheim. Toronto won the lottery, but sans Matthew they would still have a roster far better than the Coyotes. Boston doesn't have a first pick on its roster.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Really? I don't recall Winnipeg winning the lottery and they built a terrific roster. I don't remember San Jose winning the lottery, nor St. Louis, nor Dallas, nor Anaheim. Toronto won the lottery, but sans Matthew they would still have a roster far better than the Coyotes. Boston doesn't have a first pick on its roster.
Just looking at the Leafs and they have drafted before the Coyotes 3 of the past 5 years and 1 spot back when they got Marner. In those drafts they have landed Reilly (#1 D), Nylander (#2 RW), Marner (star #1 RW), and Matthews (top 10 player in the world). In contrast the Coyotes drafted Samuellsson (bust), Domi (#2 LW traded), Perlini (#3 LW), Strome (possible #2 C), and Keller (first line winger).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Winnipeg won and got Laine. San Jose and Dallas both traded for someone else's number 1 or 2 OA pick, who then broke out with them. They may not have won a lottery but they still built around a guy who taken with a lottery pick. St. Louis is fair, but also look at how far they've gotten. They seem to have a ceiling below that of teams lead by lottery players. They're still a very talented team though.

Anaheim and Boston are good examples. Vegas last year as well (I guess you could count Fleury, but meh) but that team was so unique I'm not sure it can be replicated. I'd agree that even without their lottery wins Winnipeg and Toronto built fantastic teams.

I'm not saying building a contender without lottery pick leading the way is impossible, because it's not, but it is much harder. You need those guys you take at outside of the top 1 or 2 to pan out really well. If Strome and Hayton become at least high end 2Cs along with Chucky and Keller progresses, we may have something here. If not......... I don't want to think about that. Also I think we probably need a new coach, but that's a different matter.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Any Coyote draft history conversation gets me riled up over 2004 and Blake Wheeler.

Turns out he is the player Gretz thought he was.

:(

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's amazing how bad this team would be without so far the 4th best defense and the goaltending they've gotten. PK is also top 5. Fewest shots allowed in the league. 2nd best on faceoffs.

The next worst team scores at nearly 4x the G/60 rate. Quite the anomaly the Coyotes have going right now.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It's amazing how bad this team would be without so far the 4th best defense and the goaltending they've gotten. PK is also top 5. Fewest shots allowed in the league. 2nd best on faceoffs.

The next worst team scores at nearly 4x the G/60 rate. Quite the anomaly the Coyotes have going right now.
That is more impressive than I realized. Now to figure out how to add a scorer to the team. Is it worth our 1st to get Nylander?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
That is more impressive than I realized. Now to figure out how to add a scorer to the team. Is it worth our 1st to get Nylander?

Yes. You know what you’re getting. You have less than a fraction of a percent at the lottery. Being the coyotes, it’s never going to happen.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm okay being patient with things. I know the goals aren't here yet but the tide will change. I like the competitiveness and puck possession game we are playing. I think the goals will even out.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If we can move Panik for free to some team that needs depth I’m all for sending our first for Nylander
You aren't getting him for your 1st. It's really hard to imagine an offer sheet that could get him without giving up 4 firsts.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't think many of us thought this was a playoff team anyway. We still need a star. Best case scenario looks like we see some progress and take another shot at being disappointed in the lottery. Kind of like buying that Mega Millions ticket. I know I'm not winning buuuuuuuuuuut just in case...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It's amazing how bad this team would be without so far the 4th best defense and the goaltending they've gotten. PK is also top 5. Fewest shots allowed in the league. 2nd best on faceoffs... Quite the anomaly the Coyotes have going right now.

That's all very promising, considering that OEL, Demers and Goligoski have all underperformed and Chychrun hasn't played yet.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Honestly if we're picking that high in the draft not as a result of a lottery win or some serious injuries this year, I hope Chayka isn't running the draft table.

Reactions: Matias Maccete
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad