2018-2019 Regular Season Discussion: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Mentioned this in the prospects thread but I'll say it here where it belongs, im kinda curious as to what happens when Pitlick and Nichushkin are back...can't forget we just played arguably our best game of the season without them cause they were injured. Who comes out or do they stay out? Will Gurianov or Hintz go back down/stay down?
After last game , I think guryanov has earned at least another good look .ni he didn’t score but he was probably one of the top 3 players in the game IMO. Definately better than most of our bottom 9 . I expect nill to make a trade tbh.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Remember when people were saying his injury was part of the reason the team was struggling... Ah Good times

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even before his injury i don't think Carrick ever looked any good outside his first one or two games. So wierd how Leafs fans and media seem to hate Polak but pumped Carricks tires for no reason ( other than him beeing a good guy but so is Polak ) . Still wierds me out when i see Steve Dangle or other Leafs people talk about how he couldn't understand why Babcock prefered Polak over Carrick. Well turns out the Leafs coach knew better , not a huge suprise but hey.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way looking at the emergence of Campbell and Binnington and a few other goalies drafted almost 10 years ago or not drafted at all the Stars need to be patient with their goalie prospects and can't give up on them too early. Point is having a rough year and in general the AHL goaltending isn't looking too hot but that doesn't neccesarily mean anything by the time this team actually needs a new goalie .

Last edited:
Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
By the way looking at the emergence of Campbell and Binnington and a few other goalies drafted almost 10 years ago or not drafted at all the Stars need to be patient with their goalie prospects and can't give up on them too early. Point is having a rough year and in general the AHL goaltending isn't looking too hot but that doesn't neccesarily mean anything by the time this team actually needs a new goalie .
But isn't there a limit to how patient a team can be thanks to the current CBA?

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Interesting that Button aimed practically all of his shots at Jim Lites.

Maybe some past history from his tenure with the Stars is influencing his viewpoint. He certainly had a lot invested in the Gainey years and though he left to become Calgary GM, who knows if there wasn't some feelings that he'd be the heir apparent only to see things go a different way.

Or, he might just share the opinion many hockey people have that if there was a message, it should have come directly from Gaglardi or Nill and it could have been handled much, much differently.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Maybe some past history from his tenure with the Stars is influencing his viewpoint. He certainly had a lot invested in the Gainey years and though he left to become Calgary GM, who knows if there wasn't some feelings that he'd be the heir apparent only to see things go a different way.

Or, he might just share the opinion many hockey people have that if there was a message, it should have come directly from Gaglardi or Nill and it could have been handled much, much differently.
He was invited to the Modano jersey number retirement, I’m sure there’s no hard feelings almost 20 years later lol

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Hope Miro enjoys the skills competition, cause the Pacific is gonna demolish the Central division in the 3 on 3 portion.

Gaudreau <= Kane
Keller <= Wheeler, but in 3 on 3? Lol
McDavid > MacKinnon*
Pettersson > Scheifele
Draisaitl < Rantanen
Pavelski >= O'Reilly
Karlsson > Landeskog
Doughty > Heiskanen
Burns > Josi
Fleury > Dubynk
Gibson > Rinne

LOL. Not even close. And MacKinnon may not even play now...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's an All-Stars game. John Scott a couple of years back looked decent in it and his team won the whole thing. They're not gonna play that hard. I do think the Pacific team has too many vets that will likely not try that much imho.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's an All-Stars game. John Scott a couple of years back looked decent in it and his team won the whole thing. They're not gonna play that hard. I do think the Pacific team has too many vets that will likely not try that much imho.

That's true, but Karlsson and McDavid don't have to try to hard to dominate :laugh: Burns and others too but at the same time with the dmen those guys have on the ice the central may have breakaway after breakaway. The Central lineup is just underwhelming though but that's a good point about John Scott

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Why does the central only have 2 D? Not that it really matters, just seems odd

Atlantic only has 2 as well. The Central's problem though is probably the fact that not many dmen have been all that impressive or All-Star worthy in the division

I assume we will see some forwards play as a dman in it

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I was looking at Goals above replacement and Wins above replacement and thought it was funny that Lindell's defensive contributions are in the negative per both metrics. So are his overall GAR/WAR (this year and career)...

Obviously these metrics aren't super valuable in small samples- but since 2013 you would think his stats would be comparable to guys like TJ Brodie or Brian Dumoulin.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I was looking at Goals above replacement and Wins above replacement and thought it was funny that Lindell's defensive contributions are in the negative per both metrics. So are his overall GAR/WAR (this year and career)...

Obviously these metrics aren't super valuable in small samples- but since 2013 you would think his stats would be comparable to guys like TJ Brodie or Brian Dumoulin.

Aren’t these two stats pretty flawed for hockey? I remember reading an argument about them here on HF, can’t quite remember which side made more sense. I’ll have to go dig that up.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Aren’t these two stats pretty flawed for hockey? I remember reading an argument about them here on HF, can’t quite remember which side made more sense. I’ll have to go dig that up.

I haven't dug deep enough into them- but I would imagine they factor scoring in pretty heavily. Esa Lindell put up solid stats last year and will surpass them this year, so it's strange.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
My main issue with WAR is it's such a complex analysis it's hard to draw any conclusions from the score - the math attempts to draw all of the conclusions for you.

One thing WAR does is it places a weighting on an individual's contribution to a scoring play - so not everyone gets the same XPM (expected +/-) when something good happens. Based on the type of defender Lindell is, he probably doesn't get to rack up many + points, and he's often stuck being the guy defending high danger chances against so maybe his weighting for - points is higher than it should be.

It's also somewhat odd that the 2nd best DWAR season by a forward since 07/08 was Zherdev's ... in 07/08. Our own Greg Pateryn last year earned the 17th best DWAR season since then*

* Wins Above Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad