2018-2019 Regular Season Discussion: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Well, that is what I'm getting at. There is no 2nd wave of Stars coming right away. The vet core of 14-91-47 is getting older. The Stars aren't going to contend with what they have right now so why not move someone like Radulov for better future pieces? Tread water now or...at least try for a better future.

Unless one truely believes the current roster can be "fixed" going forward by somehow acquiring two not-so-old 2nd line players.

I get what you're saying but if you keep constantly looking to the future then you get in a situation where you are never competing for the playoffs and you lose your fan base that is already hit or miss. They already wasted Benn's best years and the two good remaining years that Spezza had. Now if they move Radulov then they will end up wasting the best years of Seguin, Klingberg, and the few good remaining years that Bishop has. Then a few years from now when the team is still in the 5-10 range of the West and we are talking about moving Seguin and Faksa to just build around Miro and whoever else is coming up. At some point the team has to make the playoffs and you need to build for a playoff run even if there is very little shot of winning the cup.

To be realistic, there are only about 5 teams who you would say right now will win the Cup (Toronto, Tampa, Washington, Nashville, and Winnipeg) so everyone else is banking on some luck and a magical playoff run just like Dallas would. I'm tired of this organization/team sitting in neutral for the majority of a decade. I want some playoff hockey even if it's just 1 or 2 rounds. If the team is in a similar spot in a month then I hope they are acquiring a couple top six pieces for a little run.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Lmfao what a dumb argument.

Guess what? Benn doesn't have 33 goals right now so that "on pace" **** is for gullible hopefuls.

Benn only has 9 more goals and 13 more points then that rookie finnish kid we have on an ELC. Benn is a top line forward though. Heiskanen plays with Polak.

You want to try and spin that into something less stupid?

I'm sorry that you don't understand basic math.

Your Heiskanen argument plays against the rest of the roster a lot better than it does against Benn.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Ok we're all a bit frustrated here but let's try to be civil.
lady_gaga.gif

Reactions: JeffP

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Probably deserves its own thread, but what would a shakeup really look like, assuming it happens?

First, I doubt it happens (so maybe it doesn't deserve its own thread) I am struggling to think of an in season (or off season for that matter) shakeup of a team currently sitting in a playoff spot. Anyone know of one?

Second, we would be trading low. Look at our trade for Seguin. We got the 1st and 3rd most talented players and Boston got 2, 4, 5, and 6, which never added up (in part due to Louis' injuries). You never win a trade when trading a Seguin or Benn for quantity, but that is what gets offered. See EK for a more current example.

I see them being slightly more aggressive in finding a scoring winger or future 2C, but that is about it. They have always needed a few more star quality players, not more depth (ineffective as it is). I think they will decide they have over valued their own youth and see if they can trade the shiniest baubles (Robertson, Ty D, Rope Hintz, JD) plus a few others and a first round pick or two to get one more marquee player. Perhaps an over reaction to their failed attempt to score with their depth this year, but then, that's how a lot of average or on the hot seat GM's react. And, how some owners, like perhaps TG react.

I know, this doesn't address the culture of mediocrity issue, but they have to figure there is some way to motivate Benn and Seguin, no?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think the biggest disappointment with Nill was he started out with what seemed like a 3-5 year plan to reach the top, but in the meantime, has wandered off that path (speed and skill to size and character) and now it just seems like a mish mash, leading to a middling team.

I understand some deals require the stars to align, a la the Seguin deal. When JN1 brought in Kari, he was probably the best goalie available. Nill brought in Bishop when he could, at a reasonable price, but whiffed on a few earlier potential deals (Talbot, who hasn't been as good, but was picked up a year earlier) that would have helped the Benn in his prime scenario.

As oft noted, the flaw in his plan is probably that none of his first rounders (save Miro) have stepped up to fill the gaps that needed to be filled with cheap young players.

All of which suggests to me that Nill stays, and they announce a big scouting shake up for next year as the big off season move. Which should have happened a long time ago, based on results. They are all together right now for their annual meeting. Would be a good time to issue pink slips en masse.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Oh boy, I see they tried to trade Brett Ritchie, but had no takers, but then didn't want to lose him on waivers for nothing. Of course, the most they could have got for him was a fifth round pick. TBH, if they did, it would be $1.75M more in cap space they could use for a trade. Perhaps the biggest team culture that has to change is the conservatism of the front office?

Reactions: brighteststars

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Oh boy, I see they tried to trade Brett Ritchie, but had no takers, but then didn't want to lose him on waivers for nothing. Of course, the most they could have got for him was a fifth round pick. TBH, if they did, it would be $1.75M more in cap space they could use for a trade. Perhaps the biggest team culture that has to change is the conservatism of the front office?
It makes no sense, but is is the pattern. Cling to a guy you don't want until you reach a roster crunch and are forced to move him. Nill has done this over and over.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Also there went a big chunk of our Deadline space, so the only way we can make any other moves is if someone goes on IR permanently, or we somehow ditch Spezza

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As I said elsewhere, at first we thought Nill was going to stick to a Detroit type plan, no matter what, which was a great turnaround from Niewy who seemed to change with the wind from size, to speed, to position, to character, etc. Best moves he made was when TG ordered him to sell off in his last year.

This, and many other Nill moves seem reactive, rather than part of a coordinated plan to get better slowly. That is what disappoints me most. That said, moving Shore is no biggie, and a shot of character is at least one of the things addressed in this trade with no big loss of talent, based on Shore's production.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Extra body i guess . Anybody hurt ? Maybe just to make sure if something goes wrong Cogliano coming over ?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Extra body i guess . Anybody hurt ? Maybe just to make sure if something goes wrong Cogliano coming over ?

I mean we still have Ritchie but they're actively trying to trade him so maybe this is in case a deal gets done? Either way I don't really understand the call-up. I read something about the Stars scouts watching the Texas Stars games this past week so maybe they felt Mersch has been the best player? Surprising if so.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It might be a work ethic or personality thing. They should be looking for a way to get the roster to motivate themselves so the coaches don't have to waste time doing it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean we still have Ritchie but they're actively trying to trade him so maybe this is in case a deal gets done? Either way I don't really understand the call-up. I read something about the Stars scouts watching the Texas Stars games this past week so maybe they felt Mersch has been the best player? Surprising if so.

I mean the team had an extra roster spot so its not like this hurts. Doesn't really help either sure. Mascherin , L'Esperance or Gurianov you only call up to actually play. Mersch ? I doubt that but i did say the same with Condra.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean the team had an extra roster spot so its not like this hurts. Doesn't really help either sure. Mascherin , L'Esperance or Gurianov you only call up to actually play. Mersch ? I doubt that but i did say the same with Condra.

He's a very Ritchie-like player which is what's interesting to me.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Maybe it means Ritchie will be gone soon maybe it doesn . Not that it really matters . Just a body.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, you got character and speed in Cogs, so why not our high scorer, Joel L'Esperance, a higher scorer or DG again?

Guess he figures to give each forward one poke at the pig first, before going with more established options? Do waivers factor in?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Quote from Jim Nill:

"He's played with top players in the league," Nill said. "In Anaheim, he played with [Ryan] Getzlaf and Kesler. He can play lower in the lineup. Really, the game's becoming -- people talk about first, second, third, fourth lines -- the game's getting away from that. It's more situational type of lines. That's what Monty has to do, see what's the best fit."

No, it's not getting away from that, Nill. We need a 2nd line. God this is what I was worried about. He acquired Cogliano to be a top 6 forward for us and an answer for our scoring issues. He has actually convinced himself that us not having a 2nd line is not an issue

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Quote from Jim Nill:

"He's played with top players in the league," Nill said. "In Anaheim, he played with [Ryan] Getzlaf and Kesler. He can play lower in the lineup. Really, the game's becoming -- people talk about first, second, third, fourth lines -- the game's getting away from that. It's more situational type of lines. That's what Monty has to do, see what's the best fit."

No, it's not getting away from that, Nill. We need a 2nd line. God this is what I was worried about. He acquired Cogliano to be a top 6 forward for us and an answer for our scoring issues. He has actually convinced himself that us not having a 2nd line is not an issue
That quote means he has no f***ing clue what he is doing, or that he quite literally can't make a meaningful move because all we have is garbage that nobody wants.
Highly likely a combo of both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad