Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why do you think we'd see a downgrade in depth if we moved out a few players like Palat, Johnson or Miller? Palat had 6 ES goals last year and the same amount of ES points as Joseph, who had 13 ES goals. Put Joseph in his spot and even if Joseph doesn't make a huge jump in production it should be close to equal with the way Palat has been lately. Then you can replace Joseph in the bottom 6 with Volkov or Raddysh if they want a RH shot.

Miller wasn't even being used properly so hard to have an exact replacement because are you replacing a 4th liner or top 6 guy? We can bring up ABB who can replace Miller on the PP or Verheaghe who is versatile and can play C or Wing.

Johnson might be harder because he did score a lot of ES goals but he still didn't even crack 50 points while playing top line minutes. Gourde playing with Point again should get him back over 50 points and 25 goals. ABB would work in a top 6 but I don't see him hitting 20+ goals or 50 points as a rookie but could do a 15g 40 point guy and is small and fiesty like Johnson. We still have Stephens who would be a nice boost to the 4th line. Plus if we moved out that much money we could bring in better defenders to make the team more balanced and not so forward heavy for production or another top 6 or 9 forward.

Because these guys regardless of their playoff performance are established NHLers? I mean you just pointed out we'd be seeing a downgrade in production by all 3 replacements. That's not including the fact that you're talking about those replacements being 3/4 rookies - You might have a lineup with more jump but they'd be much more liable to mistakes, such as the one Joseph made that lead to the series winning goal.

That's not even mentioning the fact that Kucherov and Point both see major cap jumps next year, I don't really see how anyone can argue we won't be taking a hit on depth next year. This was the most talented team the Lightning have ever iced.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If I was the coach and failed 6 times in a row with this group to win the cup I’d walk off and quit because I’d realize I can’t get the job done!

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Watched the exit interviews, minus Coop's. Not as bad as I'd feared. These guys get what happened, and they're disappointed, they just realize it's over and there's not going to be a do-over this year. They also know that the big decisions that need to be made aren't theirs to make.

I'd recommend everyone watch Hedman's at the very least.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Watched the exit interviews, minus Coop's. Not as bad as I'd feared. These guys get what happened, and they're disappointed, they just realize it's over and there's not going to be a do-over this year. They also know that the big decisions that need to be made aren't theirs to make.

I'd recommend everyone watch Hedman's at the very least.

Was it along the lines of "they know what happened after going up 2-0 last year?"

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Was it along the lines of "they know what happened after going up 2-0 last year?"
He knows he's better than the guy who showed up in those games, but he knows he has to own it too. He wasn't making any excuses. I mean, if you want to stay pissed at him that's your right. I totally get it. The whole thing sucks.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, it was an on-ice chirp. I get you're annoyed (and rightfully so), but that doesn't seem like one of those things to get hung up on.

Reactions: Bolt 45

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Because these guys regardless of their playoff performance are established NHLers? I mean you just pointed out we'd be seeing a downgrade in production by all 3 replacements. That's not including the fact that you're talking about those replacements being 3/4 rookies - You might have a lineup with more jump but they'd be much more liable to mistakes, such as the one Joseph made that lead to the series winning goal.

That's not even mentioning the fact that Kucherov and Point both see major cap jumps next year, I don't really see how anyone can argue we won't be taking a hit on depth next year. This was the most talented team the Lightning have ever iced.

Sure they're established but it doesn't mean that they are irreplaceable. Palat has one 50 point season the past four seasons so his offense shouldn't be too hard to replace and his two way game has been steadily declining. Johnson has also only had one 50 point season in the past four seasons. He doesn't PK anymore and his two way game is falling off. They aren't what they used to be.

Joseph to me isn't a 50 point player, maybe he tops it once or twice but a solid 20g 25a 45p player. He's young and hungry so he has the energy and fire we need to infuse in the top 6. We had 2 rookies in the top 9 this year with Cirelli and Joseph so having 2 or 3 next year wouldn't be that drastic. We need to do something next year to change things up as I can't see Cooper doing the right thing and dropping Palat and Johnson to the bottom 6 and bringing Joseph and Cirelli up. We need to clear one or both out so the decision is already made for him.

We only had 4 guys go over 50 points this year, what we would be replacing is a bunch of secondary players in the 40 point range which isn't too hard to do. We aren't looking for the next Point or Kucherov. I have more hope in Joseph, ABB, Volkov types hitting 40+ than Palat or Johnson going back to 50 point players.

Reactions: Todd1a

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I really enjoyed the season. Never had so much fun watching hockey. Never thought that was possible for a kid that grew up playing basketball and football. I also want to acknowledge this board was a huge part of the ride for me. Appreciate everyone’s contributions.

I will still follow the Lightning, but really fail to see why I’d ever follow it so closely during the regular season. The regular season is utterly meaningless. I’ll be all over the playoffs and probably later in the season.

Also curious to see what the Lightning do in the offseason....or don’t do.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Does it really matter if we sacrifice 20 pts or so in the regular season if we're getting players that are built for the playoffs vs Palat, Johnson, Rutta, Gourde, Stamkos, etc?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sure they're established but it doesn't mean that they are irreplaceable. Palat has one 50 point season the past four seasons so his offense shouldn't be too hard to replace and his two way game has been steadily declining. Johnson has also only had one 50 point season in the past four seasons. He doesn't PK anymore and his two way game is falling off. They aren't what they used to be.

Joseph to me isn't a 50 point player, maybe he tops it once or twice but a solid 20g 25a 45p player. He's young and hungry so he has the energy and fire we need to infuse in the top 6. We had 2 rookies in the top 9 this year with Cirelli and Joseph so having 2 or 3 next year wouldn't be that drastic. We need to do something next year to change things up as I can't see Cooper doing the right thing and dropping Palat and Johnson to the bottom 6 and bringing Joseph and Cirelli up. We need to clear one or both out so the decision is already made for him.

We only had 4 guys go over 50 points this year, what we would be replacing is a bunch of secondary players in the 40 point range which isn't too hard to do. We aren't looking for the next Point or Kucherov. I have more hope in Joseph, ABB, Volkov types hitting 40+ than Palat or Johnson going back to 50 point players.

I didn't say they were irreplaceable, I said we get weaker immediately once we trade them

I mean are you expecting that right off the bat? Or in a few years if the latter I'm not sure why you challenged my point that we get weaker on depth next year :dunno:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Does it really matter if we sacrifice 20 pts or so in the regular season if we're getting players that are built for the playoffs vs Palat, Johnson, Rutta, Gourde, Stamkos, etc?

Sure all for that, now propose something that works with our cap, cause you're not trading Palat, Johnson, Gourde for equal or better players.... All I'm hearing is replace them with Ahlers.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He knows he's better than the guy who showed up in those games, but he knows he has to own it too. He wasn't making any excuses. I mean, if you want to stay pissed at him that's your right. I totally get it. The whole thing sucks.

I've always thought Hedman could've been the leader for this team, that moment was completely changed my opinion on that. Teams behind, your guy just got ejected, time to rally the troops instead he put his ego first and goes to chirp the other team for no reason, just a sore loser play overall on top of his awful performance.

This is back to back bad playoff performances from Hedman now too, last year he was god awful in the Washington series.

Last edited:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I've always thought Hedman could've been the leader for this team, that moment was completely changed my opinion on that. Teams behind, your guy just got ejected, time to rally the troops instead he put his ego first and goes to chirp the other team for no reason, just a sore loser play overall on top of his awful performance.
I suppose. I'm not ready to write him off just yet though. He's clearly disappointed as hell in the way that he and the team played. Watching the team lose from the stands in the last two games must have stung like hell after how bad he played in the first two. I really don't think we'll ever see something like that from him again. We'll see what happens, I guess.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I really enjoyed the season. Never had so much fun watching hockey. Never thought that was possible for a kid that grew up playing basketball and football. I also want to acknowledge this board was a huge part of the ride for me. Appreciate everyone’s contributions.

I will still follow the Lightning, but really fail to see why I’d ever follow it so closely during the regular season. The regular season is utterly meaningless. I’ll be all over the playoffs and probably later in the season.

Also curious to see what the Lightning do in the offseason....or don’t do.

I mean, if Cooper is back as the head coach, which, unfortunately, is the likely outcome, I don't know what reason I have to look forward to next season. I'm not sure what's going to be any different about it. It'll feel like watching a trainwreck in super slow motion.

I will watch hockey because I love hockey and won't let the Lightning rob me of that. But, I think it's fair to suggest I'll be spreading out my hockey watching time across the league more next year than disproportionately favoring the Lightning. Especially the games against the Ottawa's and Detroit's of the world. Like, why bother? What am I going to learn from those games?

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Sure all for that, now propose something that works with our cap, cause you're not trading Palat, Johnson, Gourde for equal or better players.... All I'm hearing is replace them with Ahlers.

Lol, I would have traded any of them for Zucc as a rental...

Honestly, I think our window is gonna close sooner than people expect. JBB being passive at the trade deadline was a massive mistake.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I mean, if Cooper is back as the head coach, which, unfortunately, is the likely outcome, I don't know what reason I have to look forward to next season. I'm not sure what's going to be any different about it. It'll feel like watching a trainwreck in super slow motion.

I will watch hockey because I love hockey and won't let the Lightning rob me of that. But, I think it's fair to suggest I'll be spreading out my hockey watching time across the league more next year than disproportionately favoring the Lightning. Especially the games against the Ottawa's and Detroit's of the world. Like, why bother? What am I going to learn from those games?
I hear you. Ironically, I've realized how much more I enjoy the playoffs when we're not in them at all. Usually we make it far enough that I don't want to watch the team who knocked us out. And while we're still in it, I enjoy when we score and the time between a win and the next game, but everything else kind of sucks. It's more stressful than fun.

As for next year, I would have to assume Coop's leash will be a bit shorter. The team's likely to quit on him if he tries to take them back to a well they know is poisoned. You could always tune in to see if he gets fired. :sarcasm:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I didn't say they were irreplaceable, I said we get weaker immediately once we trade them

I mean are you expecting that right off the bat? Or in a few years if the latter I'm not sure why you challenged my point that we get weaker on depth next year :dunno:

Because I don't think we will get weaker, unless we trade like 3 forwards. I think we will be about the same next year and then become better the following. Joseph if put in the top 6 will put up more than the 34 Palat did. Volkov should be able to put up the 26 Joseph did in the bottom 6. Verheaghe can put up more than the 17 Callahan did. Johnson and Miller both had 47 points, ABB might be able to put up that much if paired with Kucherov or Stamkos and can definitely put up points on the PP at least. Raddysh has come along strong late in the season and could possibly play in the top 6 and PP his way to 40 points.

We have the players to replace middle 6 forwards if needed and the team could use a bit of a shake up so not only can the new guys contribute it might motivate others to step up their games. It would just depend on if Cooper is willing to give those kids a top 6 chance. But from what Brisebois said I don't think it matters cause he might not even comsicon moving and forwards.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
SY to Detroit to Detroit official. I see no reason to trust JBB. This franchise has gone from historic to reeling.

Get ready for SY to clean JBBs clock.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Plus if we moved out that much money we could bring in better defenders to make the team more balanced and not so forward heavy for production or another top 6 or 9 forward.
I am thinking right along with you Hose. Tyler Myers and Kevin Hayes or Michael Ferland in addition to Volkov and Stephens would fill the voids of moving those guys pretty nicely, IMO.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't have any problems with the answers given by JBB at the locker cleanout.

The Lightning shouldn't get blown-up and the changes that are inevitable will provide the opportunity to possibly start bringing in some grit to complement Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Point, etc. Defenses will tighten during the playoffs and so in addition to refs not calling penalties, the importance of dump-and-chase is increased, which suits players that are still skilled and speedy, but who also have grit.

Guys like Callahan, Brian Boyle, and Adam Hall would climb over guys if need be. Cirelli has a bit of that in him. I'm not talking about gooning it up.

Now, given that it's the style I think TB should be leaning towards, there's a question of if Coop can coach that type of game. On a technical level, I don't have any doubts. On an interpersonal/motivational level, I'm not in the room, so I can't make that assessment.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
It pretty much all hinges on moving Callahan. If that can be done via trade (I think they might only have to attach a 3rd or 4th rounder or) to get that done since he only has 1 year left. Then they have room for Point, plus one of Coburn/strals and the other RFAs and another 2M or so player. If they have to buy Callahan out, then assuming they resign Point--which I think everyone wants them to do. They don't have many options--unless they can work trades, but the NTCs make those very difficult.

Hayes would be nice--of course WPG is close to getting bounced in round 1 with him and they have gritty big players and skill. Heck hayes keeping his own shot out (just bad luck) was the reason they lost game 5. I just hope folks keep an open mind. They can't do all that much because of the NTCs, NMCs and the cap and there is no blueprint for success.

Also-go look at the pending FAs--for the guys that are likely to sign for less than $5M per season--they aren't all that interesting.

And going back to last offseason--the big splash almost everyone was hoping for was EK--imagine signing him now--an elite offensive defenseman---that's not really great playing D and is certainly not physicial--would folks now pass on that?

Last one about Hedman--watching that interview he shouldn't have played games 1 and 2---credit to him as he's a gamer and think he figured out how to pass the CP, but he wasn't right--his play in game 1 was poor.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't have any problems with the answers given by JBB at the locker cleanout.

The Lightning shouldn't get blown-up and the changes that are inevitable will provide the opportunity to possibly start bringing in some grit to complement Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Point, etc. Defenses will tighten during the playoffs and so in addition to refs not calling penalties, the importance of dump-and-chase is increased, which suits players that are still skilled and speedy, but who also have grit.

Guys like Callahan, Brian Boyle, and Adam Hall would climb over guys if need be. Cirelli has a bit of that in him. I'm not talking about gooning it up.

Now, given that it's the style I think TB should be leaning towards, there's a question of if Coop can coach that type of game. On a technical level, I don't have any doubts. On an interpersonal/motivational level, I'm not in the room, so I can't make that assessment.
Yeah. You don't have to be big and hulking. Look at Blake Coleman in NJ. Plays that same kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad