2018-2019 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's taken me the last couple days to fully give up. I'd assume we end up with 86-87pts. 5 wins short. Tough because everyone can probably point out 5 off the top of their head.

I'll still watch playoffs because I'm a hockey nut. Who would you bandwagon this year?
Yeah, I’ll buy that better goaltending would have us in playoffs or sniffing close by. I just don’t think we’d get very far.....

I’m probably contrarian to a lot here but I’ll pull for the FL bros from the other side. I just love that team’s owners, fans, whole quality of the operation. Wish we had some of that.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yeah, I’ll buy that better goaltending would have us in playoffs or sniffing close by. I just don’t think we’d get very far.....

I’m probably contrarian to a lot here but I’ll pull for the FL bros from the other side. I just love that team’s owners, fans, whole quality of the operation. Wish we had some of that.

Before the season started, I said that a combined .920 save % would get us in the playoffs this season (we were around .924 when we went our run to end the season). Well the EXTREMELY disappointing thing is, a combined .910 save % would have us firmly in a WC spot most likely. And with a combined .920 save %, we'd probably be 2nd in the division. I expected a bit of a drop off, but I did not expect this. Even just a five game difference in goaltending, and we are a playoff team.

We might not have gotten far in the playoffs, but with a top 10 PP and PK, we would be a dangerous team to play against.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Flames with turnover after turnover vs Vegas and rittich making multiple breakaway saves to keep his team in the game.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Flames with turnover after turnover vs Vegas and rittich making multiple breakaway saves to keep his team in the game.
He's been solid overall. Allowed more than three goals in six out of 38 games - those six games were against Tampa (6), Toronto (6), SJS (5), Buffalo (4), Dallas (4) and Tampa (4). A bad goal here or there but most of the time he has given them a chance to win. Still hasn't completely proven himself as a starter but he's doing well enough for his first full season in the NHL.

They got him for free BTW, signed as a free agent when he was 23 or so at the end of the 2015/16 season just to give them a little more goalie depth, even though they already "had" their "future starter" in Jon Gillies who was posting back to back 93% save% seasons in college at the time. I wish Tallon had made a similar no-risk move for us after making the trade for Luongo five years ago.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Playing with Sid Crosby will do that for you.

Good on McCann, another guy forced down the lineup as they threw Big Nick out night after night in the top 6. Pens fans love McCann.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm working on something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I was hoping I'd have a job by now and somebody would *pay* me to do this, but alas, it wasn't in the cards. I've put a lot of work into this already, and I just want to verify some of my thinking by asking team boards.

If you wouldn't mind, I could use your help. For the purposes of this exercise, please consider all the players *currently* on your team, including on IR. Don't consider top picks or hot prospects in Europe or the AHL, unless they have considerable time in the NHL (around 30 games or so?). I also don't care if a player is quote-unquote untouchable or not. Gretzky got traded, blah, blah, blah.

Also for the purposes of this thingy, everything counts. Age counts, talent counts, contract counts. No-movement clauses and "untouchability" don't.

My question is this: if you were the GM of *another* team and you could trade for any player on *your* team, who would you trade for? Who are the top handful (don't go past 5-6)? So at the end of the day, if you look at your list, you should be able to say, "As a fan of this team, I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 3, but I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 2 more, and I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 2, but I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 1 the most."

I've taken a shot at answering below, including tiers, and age, salary, contract length. Please let me know where I'm wrong. Thanks!

1. Aleksander Barkov, 23, $5.9, 2022

2. Jonathan Huberdeau, 25, $5.9, 2023
3. Vincent Trocheck, 25, $4.75, 2022
4. Aaron Ekblad, 23, $7.5, 2025

5. Henrik Borgstrom, 21, $925k, 2020
6. Michael Matheson, 25, $4.875m, 2026

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm working on something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I was hoping I'd have a job by now and somebody would *pay* me to do this, but alas, it wasn't in the cards. I've put a lot of work into this already, and I just want to verify some of my thinking by asking team boards.

If you wouldn't mind, I could use your help. For the purposes of this exercise, please consider all the players *currently* on your team, including on IR. Don't consider top picks or hot prospects in Europe or the AHL, unless they have considerable time in the NHL (around 30 games or so?). I also don't care if a player is quote-unquote untouchable or not. Gretzky got traded, blah, blah, blah.

Also for the purposes of this thingy, everything counts. Age counts, talent counts, contract counts. No-movement clauses and "untouchability" don't.

My question is this: if you were the GM of *another* team and you could trade for any player on *your* team, who would you trade for? Who are the top handful (don't go past 5-6)? So at the end of the day, if you look at your list, you should be able to say, "As a fan of this team, I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 3, but I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 2 more, and I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 2, but I'd hate to trade the guy at No. 1 the most."

I've taken a shot at answering below, including tiers, and age, salary, contract length. Please let me know where I'm wrong. Thanks!

1. Aleksander Barkov, 23, $5.9, 2022

2. Jonathan Huberdeau, 25, $5.9, 2023
3. Vincent Trocheck, 25, $4.75, 2022
4. Aaron Ekblad, 23, $7.5, 2025

5. Henrik Borgstrom, 21, $925k, 2020
6. Michael Matheson, 25, $4.875m, 2026
That’s close.... assuming we could have a reasonable deal for Dadonov and/or Hoffman, at this point those would replace Tro for me.

Reactions: My Special Purpose

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Hoping for a speedy recovery to former Panther Kristian Huselius (aka Beetlejuice), he got his face/shoulder burned badly. There is a pic of the end result on the net if people wish to see.

Reactions: Ghoste

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not sure where else this goes, but I was just doing some research on Micheal Haley and I felt that you guys deserved to know this:

2018-2019 Florida Panthers:

9-10-5 with Haley in the lineup (79 point pace)
23-17-7 without Haley in the lineup (92 point pace)
1-1-0 when Haley fights (82 point pace)

2017-2018 Florida Panthers:

39-29-7 with Haley in the lineup (93 point pace)
5-1-1 without Haley in the lineup (129 point pace)
10-9-1 when Haley fights (86 point pace)

Haley's Panthers career:

48-39-12 with Haley in the lineup (89 point pace)
28-18-8 without Haley in the lineup (97 point pace)
11-10-1 when Haley fights (86 point pace)

Reactions: PSLguy

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not sure where else this goes, but I was just doing some research on Micheal Haley and I felt that you guys deserved to know this:

2018-2019 Florida Panthers:

9-10-5 with Haley in the lineup (79 point pace)
23-17-7 without Haley in the lineup (92 point pace)
1-1-0 when Haley fights (82 point pace)

2017-2018 Florida Panthers:

39-29-7 with Haley in the lineup (93 point pace)
5-1-1 without Haley in the lineup (129 point pace)
10-9-1 when Haley fights (86 point pace)

Haley's Panthers career:

48-39-12 with Haley in the lineup (89 point pace)
28-18-8 without Haley in the lineup (97 point pace)
11-10-1 when Haley fights (86 point pace)

Why? Why do this? Is this your payback?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why? Why do this? Is this your payback?

Dude, my team's coach just scratched Joonas Donskoi on Joonas Donskoi bobblehead night and played Micheal Haley over him. And then said "I don't think it's an accident that we won 6 in a row when Haley started to come in the line-up".

I'm sure you all know the pain of being told by coaches and hockey men that these players are effective in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet. At some point, you get told the blatant opposite of the truth so many times that it starts to feel like you're being gas lighted. I just felt like you guys should know the truth. :(

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Michael Haley is a good guy, that gets way to much flak about the job he does he will show his worth for you guys in the playoffs. Keeping the stars upright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad