2018/2019 Lineup Thread

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe not day 1 but Kyrou and Thomas need to be on the PP. They are they best half wall options

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The one game with the full lineup we went with:

Schwartz Schenn Perron Steen Pietrangelo

Tarasenko OReilly Maroon Bozak Dunn

I thought Parayko was on instead of Dunn? I'm sorry but get Steen off the PP at this point. His shot is ineffective anymore. Both those don't inspire much confidence to me but we'll see how it goes.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I thought Parayko was on instead of Dunn? I'm sorry but get Steen off the PP at this point. His shot is ineffective anymore. Both those don't inspire much confidence to me but we'll see how it goes.
They alternated. Yep good call.

As for Steen, I couldn't agree more.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

By "both those" are you saying that you'd prefer Parayko to Dunn on a powerplay unit?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kyou on the right circle/down low in place of Steen by November. In the PP time he had with the preseason, he made magic happen down there.

I think by January or sooner depending on who is injured, we can see Thomas be on the PP2 and he becomes a QB from the left circle.

PP1:
Schwartz- left circle / low left
Schenn- high slot (main trigger man for PP1)
Perron- net front (Bozak and even Parayko would be better here)
Kyou- right circle / low right
Dunn- Point/ QB

PP2:
Bozak- left circle / low left
O’Reilly- high slot (main trigger man for PP2)
Maroon- net front
Tarasenko- right circle / low right
Petro- Point & sort of a QB

Last edited:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
By "both those" are you saying that you'd prefer Parayko to Dunn on a powerplay unit?

No, I'm saying the way the power play units are constructed doesn't inspire confidence. I don't understand why you have Maroon as net front for only Tarasenko. Bozak and O'Reilly aren't really shooters and neither is Petro. You need to put Parayko and Dunn with O'Reilly, Tarasenko, and Maroon. Move Petro and Bozak to PP2 with Schenn, Schwartz, and Perron. You have two distributors with three shooters then, makes more sense, at least to me.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
No, I'm saying the way the power play units are constructed doesn't inspire confidence. I don't understand why you have Maroon as net front for only Tarasenko. Bozak and O'Reilly aren't really shooters and neither is Petro. You need to put Parayko and Dunn with O'Reilly, Tarasenko, and Maroon. Move Petro and Bozak to PP2 with Schenn, Schwartz, and Perron. You have two distributors with three shooters then, makes more sense, at least to me.

Just clarifying. The two things you brought up were Dunn in for Parayko and Steen on the point and then said "both those," but I get that you were just saying both of the powerplay units.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

ROR is absolutely a shooter on the PP. over the past 3 seasons he has had more PP goals than Tarasenko. Blues need to realize that Vladi isn’t the only solution to a lethal PP. No different than last year, all year long, Blues wanted everyone to try to find the way to get Vladi the puck while ignoring the Schenn that had just as many PP goals as Ovi.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Today’s lines at practice

Maroon-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Barbashev-Thomas-Blais

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Butler-Schmaltz
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Allen
Johnson

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why Butler? Why not Mikkola and give him a shot?

Schmaltz = rookie; Mikkola = rookie; Schmaltz + Mikkola = Rookie + Rookie = Rookie pairing = liability

At least I am thinking that is their thought process. Its easier to put your two weak links together, and limit their minutes/protect them than it is to split them and try to do that. Schmaltz and Butler or Mikkola is going to be the weak link regardless of which plays. So better to pair the vet with the rookie, and then maybe run Mikkola - Botz the next game..

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I doubt Mikkola sees the ice.

The second Bortuzzo returns we likely see this Saturday:

Bouw-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Bortuzzo-Schmaltz

With Edmundson probably not out much longer.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I know some won't agree, but I hope Schmaltz plays well, and we end up with a top 4 of Dunn, Eddy, Petro, Parayko, and a 3rd pairing of Jbo and Schmaltz at some point.
I like Bortz physicality, but he doesn't bring much more than that to the table. Solid 7th dman while Mikkola and Walmann develop.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I know some won't agree, but I hope Schmaltz plays well, and we end up with a top 4 of Dunn, Eddy, Petro, Parayko, and a 3rd pairing of Jbo and Schmaltz at some point.
I like Bortz physicality, but he doesn't bring much more than that to the table. Solid 7th dman while Mikkola and Walmann develop.

Bortuzzo is a really solid #6. He isn't a complete pylon, is a solid penalty killer, and has decent awareness (not just defensively - his pinches are usually smart); so he definitely brings more than hitting. But I like Schmaltz's game and I would love to see him challenge that spot. Even if your worst player at a given position is still good, the team benefits from having someone else try to take that spot.

Reactions: simon IC

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
One thing i will say tho.....is we have so much scoring ability throughout our lineup, the toughest thing for me is finding who our PK forwards will be....I'd say top PK unit should be Steen and sundqvist(i know u guys hate him, but he's fantastic defensively and will be willing to block shots etc..) and then ROR(don't want him as our top pk guy until playoffs and maybe barbashev?

The reason i don't like having nolan/thorburn(obvi)/ jaskin on the 4th line for us is solely because i don't trust any of them as PK guys (soshnikov i have no idea if he can kill or not, i like his speed and tenacity tho) and i sure as heck don't want our horses being used on the PK throughout the whole year. I'm a firm believer in having 4th liners that atleast kill penalties, because solely playing 8 mins a night and not killing penalties, seems like a wasted roster spot IMO...other than the rare occasion you dress a thorburn type when u know a tough regular season game is coming up whether a rivalry game or a 2nd game after something crazy happened the first game etc...etc.... u get my point..

So unless bozak is our 4C(due to thomas and Kyrou) I really want to see Sundqvist get an opportunity to run with it and see if he can continue to develop and make some plays(I really think he's vastly underrated on these boards) while continuing to be the smart responsible defensive player he is. Not for nothing, i know a lot of it was due to our top line and our D scoring....but we were the best team in the league last year while sundqvist was our 3C....and he was playing with paajarvi and jaskin LOL...can't really expect him to produce offensively in that situation ya know.

Well, that last paragraph I wrote in July....#FeelsGoodMan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad