2018/2019 Lineup Thread

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It depends on how Thomas and Kyrou look. If they both make the team and we run what is essentially a 3a and 3b for the bottom 6, then we absolutely don't need a 4C upgrade. Barring something very unexpected from Thomas at camp, we have 4 centers in Schenn, ROR, Bozak and Thomas. If Kyrou is also good enough to make the team, then we essentially have no possible way to make a traditional 4th line. Schenn, Schwartz, Tarasenk0, ROR, Steen, Fabbri, Maroon, Bozak, Perron, Thomas, and Kyrou is 11 guys. If those guys are the best 11 players in camp, then there is no realistic way to play any of the 4 centers on wing and it would essentially force Yeo to use the 4th line as a 3b type line. As much as Army has talked about Kyrou and Thomas, it seems clear that the plan until proven otherwise is that those 2 are NHL ready.

With as much as the ice time is going to spread out this year, we shouldn't need to rely on traditional 4th liners to kill penalties. ROR, Steen, Perron, Schwartz, Schenn, and Thomas should all be able to log meaningful PK minutes without approaching an unreasonable TOI.

If these don't work out and one of our 4 centers slides to wing, then we can address the issue then. We don't need to trade an asset with any amount of value to address a hypothetical need on the 4th line. 4th line caliber guys who are adequate at the faceoff dot go through waivers pretty frequently. It's a role that can be filled fairly easily if it is needed, not something that we need to plan for since it is plan B or C at the moment.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

4th line center is more then just FO duty, its guy who can take most icetime from PK and release that duty from our top6 guys. Its the guy who can drive energy to team and can put out on ice everytime when needed. Play physical game, have edge on his game, is locker room guy.

Brodziak was perfect for that example.

Barbashev, Sundqvist or Thomas aren't anything on those.

I love idea Schwartz blocking shots from the blueline at PK. :laugh:

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I-dont-believe-you.gif

4th line center is more then just FO duty, its guy who can take most icetime from PK and release that duty from our top6 guys. Its the guy who can drive energy to team and can put out on ice everytime when needed. Play physical game, have edge on his game, is locker room guy.

tenor.gif

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
If we pick up a 4th line center by any means, then it bumps a forward off the 23 man roster and opens up cap space. If we give up on Barby, we should be looking to move him for better value than a short term 4th line center. 4th lilne players are arguably the cheapest thing to acquire in the NHL. Tommy Wingles, Matt Stajan and Mark Letestu are all still UFAs and at least one of them will have to accept a tryout contract or 2 way deal if they want a shot at staying in the NHL. That's a better plan to fix potential 4C issues than using an asset holding any value in a trade to acquire one.

I know he's old and didn't play much last year(he opted to play in the Olympics instead and didn't play any games until late February) but don't forget Chris Kelly. Of the C's still out there, he's the one that I'm actually interested in(very good PK'er and former Cup winner).

Having said that; I will admit that I'm looking at the 4th line as more of a trade deadline issue than a training camp issue. I'm not completely convinced that Barbashev, Sundqvist, Sanford or the prospects(Musil, Stevens) can handle the 4th line spot, but they should get the first crack at it. If they aren't working out by mid-February; it's not that big a deal to make a trade for one at the Trade Deadline(you can get guys like Letestu and Wingels for 4th round picks or nothing prospects based on last Deadlines prices).

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I-dont-believe-you.gif

I love idea Schwartz blocking shots from the blueline at PK. :laugh:
The Blues season isn't going to sink or swim based upon who their 4th line center is entering camp.

If we're being honest about it, that position is pretty darn far down the list of things that might make or break a Cup run as well...probably only beating out the two 4th line wingers and the healthy scratches.

They have something like 3/4 of the season to evaluate the people already in their organization...a process that's important for several reasons. A team needs to know what the players they have are capable of if they're going to make informed decisions involving them moving forward, and it's good for the ongoing development of those players as well. There's precious few roster slots for that this year. Preemptively signing a veteran 4th line center takes one of those few slots out of play.

If there's a roster issue that needs to be addressed at the trade deadline, they can pick up some roster filler then.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues season isn't going to sink or swim based upon who their 4th line center is entering camp.

If we're being honest about it, that position is pretty darn far down the list of things that might make or break a Cup run as well...probably only beating out the two 4th line wingers and the healthy scratches.

They have something like 3/4 of the season to evaluate the people already in their organization...a process that's important for several reasons. A team needs to know what the players they have are capable of if they're going to make informed decisions involving them moving forward, and it's good for the ongoing development of those players as well. There's precious few roster slots for that this year. Preemptively signing a veteran 4th line center takes one of those few slots out of play.

If there's a roster issue that needs to be addressed at the trade deadline, they can pick up some roster filler then.

Bolded: Our biggest weakest link is goaltending for sure.

I know talking about 4th line center its almost like nitpicking, but I just view differently 4th line center duty then what you guys think of. I've also writed at trade thread that when trade should going to happend (Barbashev etc) it need to be done at TDL not off-season.
Same goes with Gunnar and Jbo re-evaluete them after injuries and look what Mikkola and Walman can showcase. One of Jbo or Gunnar could realistically be traded at TDL, but I would hold on them tighter (injury secure for post-season) knowing how differently off-season did go after Army pull amazing trades and same time dumping out bad players away.

My vision is that small details when fighting Stanley Cup. Vet 4th line center who can bring that needed level for us and assuming guys like Barbashev, Sundqvist and Thomas aren't that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Well, if i am trying to develop Thomas into an elite center and potential #1 type, why would I start his development on RW?

I was just lurking but not all elite #1 Cs start out at the center position; Mackinnon is one example. Thomas' game should be fine to start out on the wing given you guys have great C depth already.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
As I finally registered on this site I might aswell throw in 'a lineup' aswell...

I can't remember when we had this many good forward players, so I'd personally run 4 offensive lines.

Line 1A:
Maroon - O'Reilly - Tarasenko

Line 1B:
Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou

Line 3A:
Steen - Bozak - Perron

Line 3B:
Fabbri - Thomas - Soshnikov/Jaskin/Blais/Barbashev

During the game I'd imagine Army swapping players from the '3rd lines' here and there. Ex. swapping guys like Thomas and Fabbri with Kyrou now and then.
Two of Barbashev, Blais, Soshnikov, Jaskin rotate in now and then to keep everyone fresh.

Defence:
Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Bortz

Dunn on PP1.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
As I’ve posted before, I think we ease Fabbri and Thomas into the lineup to begin the season, however, I think we eventually should go with one of these lineups below.

Scenario 1: Tarasenko does find great chemistry with O’Reilly, and we get to keep our 4 best forwards separated on the top two lines.

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Bozak(faceoffs)
Steen-Thomas-Perron
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Jaskin, Sundqvist

Scenario 2: Tarasenko doesn’t have the best chemistry with O’Reilly, and a certain rookie finds himself on a pure offensive line with 15/91.

Schwartz-Schenn/O’Reilly(faceoffs)
Fabbri-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Maroon-Barbashev-Soshnikov

And this one just for fun:
Kyrou and Kostin prove they’re too good for the AHL, and the Blues turn themselves into a matchup nightmare.

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko(1A)
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou(1B)
Steen-Thomas-Perron(3A)
Maroon-Bozak-Kostin(3B)

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Who do you all figure will compose each of your powerplay units?
Could be any combination of our top 11 forwards really. They all were regular power play guys last year. With exclusion of Fabbri and Thomas both whom have a ton of skill that likely sees second unit time at least id think.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
From training camp it looks like.

Maroon-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Steen-Bozak-Blais
Fabbri-Thomas-Jaskin

That's kinda dirty if you really think about it. We are so deep we can run a couple middle 6 players on the 4th line.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeo tries new line combinations at camp

Day 1 Lines:

Forwards
Pat Maroon - Ryan O'Reilly - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - David Perron
Alexander Steen - Tyler Bozak - Sammy Blais
Robby Fabbri - Robert Thomas - Dmitrij Jaskin
Zach Sanford - Ivan Barbashev - Jordan Kyrou

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Jake Walman - Robert Bortuzzo
Vince Dunn - Colton Parayko
Jay Bouwmeester - Jordan Schmaltz

Like that Bouw and Schmaltz are getting a look together.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Yeo tries new line combinations at camp

Day 1 Lines:

Forwards
Pat Maroon - Ryan O'Reilly - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - David Perron
Alexander Steen - Tyler Bozak - Sammy Blais
Robby Fabbri - Robert Thomas - Dmitrij Jaskin
Zach Sanford - Ivan Barbashev - Jordan Kyrou

Defense

Joel Edmundson - Alex Pietrangelo
Jake Walman - Robert Bortuzzo
Vince Dunn - Colton Parayko
Jay Bouwmeester - Jordan Schmaltz

Like that Bouw and Schmaltz are getting a look together.

Tells me that Dunn is not going to play top 4. Not sure about that. I like him on the 3rd pairing with Bortuzzo. I think Parayko plays less offensive minded with Dunn.

I would rather see Bouwmeester with Parayko. BTW if we can trade Bouwmeester and his NTC, I'm all for it. He has defensive abilities, but no offense. That said, I respect his D.

As far as offense, I worry about 3rd line RW. 1st world problems :)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Whoops. Sorry, meant is. Not, not.
I agree with you. I don't have a problem with Dunn being sheltered on the 3rd pairing during even strength play. I too, like the Dunn- Bortuzzo pairing. Dunn can, and should, get extra minutes on the PP. Bouwmeester can PK, and should never, ever, ever see PP time.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
From training camp it looks like.

Maroon-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Steen-Bozak-Blais
Fabbri-Thomas-Jaskin

That's kinda dirty if you really think about it. We are so deep we can run a couple middle 6 players on the 4th line.

I’d personally go

Maroon-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Fabbri-Thomas-Barbie/Sanford/Blais/Jaskin

I was originally against Fabbri on the fourth line but maybe we really should just ease him back. That and having his skill with Thomas on the fourth line is an incredible luxury.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Ehhh ... I dunno. The idea of Fabbri-Thomas-Barbashev has me squirming a bit. A player recovering from a serious injury who has had mixed reviews in camp, a player who has never played an NHL game, and a player who is known to be inconsistent. Somehow, it just reeks of Goals Against to me. I am not sold on the 4 scoring lines model that many others are. I think those 3 players need to be split up and sheltered.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Ehhh ... I dunno. The idea of Fabbri-Thomas-Barbashev has me squirming a bit. A player recovering from a serious injury who has had mixed reviews in camp, a player who has never played an NHL game, and a player who is known to be inconsistent. Somehow, it just reeks of Goals Against to me. I am not sold on the 4 scoring lines model that many others are. I think those 3 players need to be split up and sheltered.

Are you really anwering your own question? Are the voices in your head posting on the same account? ;)

Nah, but to be serious. I think Barbashev is at a point where he needs to play NHL games. If he isn't able to claim a rosterspot out of camp, and he's behind guys like Blais and Sanford in the peckingorder, I'd be open to trading him. He still has value atm and he could fit in on the 3rd line on a couple of other NHL teams right away (Montreal?). If we could get a high-ish pick or decent prospect for him I'd consider it at least.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Is anyone else here sniffing a possible Barbashev trade?

I'm certainly not opposed to it.
He just doesn't appear to have a spot here anymore, and it isn't fair to him to force another year in the AHL.

I also wouldn't have an issue with trading one of Gunnar/Bouwmeester.

IMO the bigger question is what do you trade them for. Future picks is an easy answer, but I also think we need a high end PK'er to relieve the pressure on ROR/Steen. I think there's still a bit of tweaking that needs done to the roster.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Do people think Blais is going to make the roster? It's interesting, to me, that he's playing on a line with Bozak. Even though it's just been the first few days of camp. I've always liked Blais and think he has higher upside than someone like Sanford or especially Sundqvist.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Do people think Blais is going to make the roster? It's interesting, to me, that he's playing on a line with Bozak. Even though it's just been the first few days of camp. I've always liked Blais and think he has higher upside than someone like Sanford or especially Sundqvist.
With Soshnikov injured, there looks to be 2 roster spots open.

I could see one of Blais or Sanford making it. Like someone else said, I’d be fine with either one even being an extra forward as I think they are far enough along in their development that it wouldn’t really hurt them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->