Injury Report: 2018-2019 Injury Report....Peoples be hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Yikes...things get real interesting with no Tarasenko, Perron or Maroon on the right-wing.

Steen-ROR-Sanford (about the only place he's been productive this year is with #90)
Schwartz-Schenn-Thomas
Fabbri-Bozak-Sunny
MacMac-Barby-Blais

That lineup has a lot of shutouts coming. You don't have a single line that has 3 players who are scoring threats right now. We need Perron back and hopefully Tarasenko back after 4 games otherwise we could be opening the playoffs against Calgary or opening our first round of golf in April.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Perron is practicing again. Sounds like he’s getting closer so that’s good.

Best of luck to Maroon as you never want to see a guy get injured. But as for how that affects the team, it doesn’t really.

Disagree decently strongly on it not affecting us. For all the trashing on Maroon, he actually has played like a solid steady 3rd liner for us over the last 20 games or so, and losing him at this point is certainly a blow.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sounds like Maroon will be okay.

Jeremy Rutherford via Twitter "Berube says Maroon should be fine unless he wakes up tomorrow and it’s worse."

Jeremy Rutherford via Twitter: "Berube on Perron: 'When he decides he wants to play, we’ve got a spot for him.'"

Weird phrasing on the Perron tweet. Could just be Berube's succinct style. But "wants to play" sounds like Berube thinks he should be able to go. He probably meant "when he feels he is able to play" but that is not what he said. Because normally a player with an injury would want to play but can't. Here it implies Perron doesn't want to play. /shrug Probably reading too much into it.

Reactions: mk80 and 67Blues

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Jeremy Rutherford via Twitter "Berube says Maroon should be fine unless he wakes up tomorrow and it’s worse."

Jeremy Rutherford via Twitter: "Berube on Perron: 'When he decides he wants to play, we’ve got a spot for him.'"

Weird phrasing on the Perron tweet. Could just be Berube's succinct style. But "wants to play" sounds like Berube thinks he should be able to go. He probably meant "when he feels he is able to play" but that is not what he said. Because normally a player with an injury would want to play but can't. Here it implies Perron doesn't want to play. /shrug Probably reading too much into it.

If Perron hadn’t already missed more than a year with a concussion, I wouldn’t think as much of that quote. Good news that Perron is close. I don’t understand how it’s ‘up to the player’ unless that means he is medically cleared to play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Disagree decently strongly on it not affecting us. For all the trashing on Maroon, he actually has played like a solid steady 3rd liner for us over the last 20 games or so, and losing him at this point is certainly a blow.
Maroon hasn’t produced at higher than a 4th line level despite people trying to convince themselves otherwise.

If Perron hadn’t already missed more than a year with a concussion, I wouldn’t think as much of that quote. Good news that Perron is close. I don’t understand how it’s ‘up to the player’ unless that means he is medically cleared to play.
Sounds like he has passed all the concussion tests.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Maroon hasn’t produced at higher than a 4th line level despite people trying to convince themselves otherwise.
I have to agree with this. Defining what is "acceptable production" from a 3rd liner is a pretty broad exercise, but he has 1 goal and 4 assists in the 19 games since February 1. During that stretch, the team averaged 3.11 G/Gm, so it's not like his numbers are being dragged down by everyone else around him, and he's had plenty of Top 6 (and even a few top line) assignments during that stretch.

That production is a pace for 21.5 points over a full 82 game season, which to me is very low end 3rd line or high end 4th line production. It is fine for what we are paying him, but certainly not something we should be satisfied with going into the playoffs as far as I'm concerned. If you look at what a guy like Sundqvist has done this year, I would challenge you to present an argument how Maroon is better than Sunny in any facet of the game except for hits, where Maroon has about 50% more hits in about 7% higher TOI. Sunny has more goals and points, despite Maroon having almost 5 times the PP TOI as Sunny. Sunny also has logged over 102 minutes of PK time in his 800 total minutes of TOI, while Maroon has 31 second of PK time.

Reactions: Blueston

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
We've been speculating a concussion related symptom, but maybe he is dealing with a detached retina or other eye injury? It would be foolish for a player to skate if he didn't have 100% vision, probably teetering on dangerous for his health and well being not to mention long term effects.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think it's a matter of Perron just doesn't want to play. I think it's most likely a combination of just simply how Berube speaks, and although he may be medically cleared to play, maybe the injury is a point where it has a higher chance of reoccurring.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We've been speculating a concussion related symptom, but maybe he is dealing with a detached retina or other eye injury? It would be foolish for a player to skate if he didn't have 100% vision, probably teetering on dangerous for his health and well being not to mention long term effects.
If he couldn’t pass vision tests he would not be cleared to play. A detached retina is an objective diagnosis not based on symptoms alone. This is a lot more likely to be a vague complaint that can’t be verified objectively. Like, “things seem bright” or “the light hurts my eyes”. Is it concussion related?

I think Berube’s frustration is showing a bit with his wording on that quote, if that’s what he actually said. He comes from an era where guys would play like it was a war, with walking wounded fighting next to the healthy. But it’s a different era. I bet he doesn’t respect guys sitting out with what he would deem minor things. A guy with vision symptoms alone could keep it to himself and suit up.

The problem is that this was the culture that led to so much traumatic brain injury (allegedly, Mr Bettman).

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
That lineup has a lot of shutouts coming. You don't have a single line that has 3 players who are scoring threats right now. We need Perron back and hopefully Tarasenko back after 4 games otherwise we could be opening the playoffs against Calgary or opening our first round of golf in April.
Assuming we are able to hang on to a spot. I hate to sound like "that guy" but this is a very unnerving situation. Schwartz has an opportunity to flush an entire season of individual disappointment down the toilet if he can elevate his game in 91's absence.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Maroon has absolutely been better lately, but it was a very low bar to get to that statement. Hopefully his injury is not significant, but I don't think that we'll miss him too much.

That would be really concerning.
For me, Maroon has gone from a guy who ended possessions on his stick, to a guy that wins board battles and has reasonable chemistry with his linemates. They cycle and generate chances now. And he plays a heavy style that is needed for eating shifts in the playoffs. He’s not going to be outmuscled like Sanford, Thomas, Barbashev to a lesser extent, will be.

He’s not the finisher I’d prefer, but he seems to be gaining confidence there too. I think the team would absolutely miss his presence in the postseason, when younger guys start to wilt with the wear and tear.

Reactions: Brockon

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Ive been extremely critical of Maroon this season, but he turned a corner for me about 10 games ago and gas looked a lot better. Not a world beater but a good third liner who plays heavy (finally).

Losing him would hurt moving forward so I hope he's okay.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I'm not sure on the official reports (if there are any yet), but we took a shellacking last night. Schenn and Ed didn't return. I believe Blais didn't either as he had trouble getting off the ice. I saw Sunny get cross-checked and noticeably wince, but he returned.

Schenn was FURIOUS heading down the tunnel, slamming his stick, and probably thinking he has another concussion after his head rattled off the end board. I did notice after that, Schwartz came out like a man on fire (before eventually scoring that goal). He was playing like a power forward, and steamed right over a guy in the neutral zone as he carried the puck in. He was a man possessed, and I believe his time has come.

Reactions: STL BLUES

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I'm not sure on the official reports (if there are any yet), but we took a shellacking last night. Schenn and Ed didn't return. I believe Blais didn't either as he had trouble getting off the ice. I saw Sunny get cross-checked and noticeably wince, but he returned.

Schenn was FURIOUS heading down the tunnel, slamming his stick, and probably thinking he has another concussion after his head rattled off the end board. I did notice after that, Schwartz came out like a man on fire (before eventually scoring that goal). He was playing like a power forward, and steamed right over a guy in the neutral zone as he carried the puck in. He was a man possessed, and I believe his time has come.

2 minutes of a game doesn't have me convinced on Schwartz....

Also Blais returned, Schenn and Ed are the question marks

Reactions: Zamadoo

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
2 minutes of a game doesn't have me convinced on Schwartz....

Also Blais returned, Schenn and Ed are the question marks
Thanks I wasn't sure if Blais returned or not. I'd still consider him a question mark, and perhaps Fabbri will get in a game or two to give Blais a chance to rest and heal any wounds.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Thanks I wasn't sure if Blais returned or not. I'd still consider him a question mark, and perhaps Fabbri will get in a game or two to give Blais a chance to rest and heal any wounds.

Let's hope, Sanford again looked out of sorts, can he not be sent down? at this point I feel he should go to SA and work on being more consistent .

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Let's hope, Sanford again looked out of sorts, can he not be sent down? at this point I feel he should go to SA and work on being more consistent .
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about Sanford. He's got some slick mitts, and uses them with flashy moves at times as well as winning board battles, but you're right he's very inconsistent. Sometimes he'll look great on a shift, and then all of a sudden get hussed off the puck or forget to take one more step and reach for the puck, looking lazy. If Barb wasn't a center, I'd really prefer him be up in the top 9.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about Sanford. He's got some slick mitts, and uses them with flashy moves at times as well as winning board battles, but you're right he's very inconsistent. Sometimes he'll look great on a shift, and then all of a sudden get hussed off the puck or forget to take one more step and reach for the puck, looking lazy. If Barb wasn't a center, I'd really prefer him be up in the top 9.

Are Sanford's hands really that special? Or was it something used to describe him taken as gospel because the term stuck? I have never heard anyone give a glowing review of his hands without saying "sick mitts". I know that is a hockey term, but you think in the dozens of reports from fans, someone could use a different term. It stems from the fact that Pang used that often when we first got him, and I think some players picked it up in interviews as well. So it stuck to him. Whether it is true or not, he forever has "sick mitts" in the eyes of fans. I don't think his hands are bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see them being so special as to be able to carve a career out for himself on hands alone. I don't think they are really that special compared to the average NHL ready prospect really. I think this is one aspect of the game that has been exaggerated based on terminology and repetition of that terminology..

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Are Sanford's hands really that special? Or was it something used to describe him taken as gospel because the term stuck? I have never heard anyone give a glowing review of his hands without saying "sick mitts". I know that is a hockey term, but you think in the dozens of reports from fans, someone could use a different term. It stems from the fact that Pang used that often when we first got him, and I think some players picked it up in interviews as well. So it stuck to him. Whether it is true or not, he forever has "sick mitts" in the eyes of fans. I don't think his hands are bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see them being so special as to be able to carve a career out for himself on hands alone. I don't think they are really that special compared to the average NHL ready prospect really. I think this is one aspect of the game that has been exaggerated based on terminology and repetition of that terminology..
I said 'slick' mitts, based on my own conclusion from observing him make infrequent yet impressive dangles in open spaces and tight maneuvering (slick) along the boards.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh

Yes he has "sick mitts" he stick handles nicely in small space and strips people of the puck. He tries to do too much though and coughs it up. I don't think his foot speed can keep up with his puck handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad