Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Do we have anyone at the WJC this year? Sorry if its been mentioned already.

Khovanov is probably going to be the only one.

No other prospect even received an invite to camp (some had been with their respective teams this past summer).

By the way, starting to come around on the theory that Flahr picked Filip Johansson as a middle finger to Leipold for letting Fletch go. Maybe??

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Khovanov is probably going to be the only one.

No other prospect even received an invite to camp (some had been with their respective teams this past summer).

By the way, starting to come around on the theory that Flahr picked Filip Johansson as a middle finger to Leipold for letting Fletch go. Maybe??

Yeah, maybe, and then Fenton ok'd it as a middle finger to Leipold for hiring him?

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, maybe, and then Fenton ok'd it as a middle finger to Leipold for hiring him?

Or maybe Fenton was as completely hands off of the draft as he claims? Flahr could have done one heck of a sell job on the kid. I don't buy this either, btw.

The rest of the draft looks strong, so why not just punt the 1st rounder and not the entire draft?

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Filip Johansson went pointless of the ice yet again against Oskarshamn last friday.

After 27 games played he has 0 goals, 1 assist, and -12 to show for. Gets a litle over 18 mins per game in average.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Now we have reached the point where the misunderstanding has reached "completely hands off" level? I guess it's not as brutal a take as claiming Flahr intentionally tanked the pick, but it's still pretty bad.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Now we have reached the point where the misunderstanding has reached "completely hands off" level? I guess it's not as brutal a take as claiming Flahr intentionally tanked the pick, but it's still pretty bad.
Nothing would have gone on at draft without GMPF approval period.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Nothing would have gone on at draft without GMPF approval period.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish

This is what I'm afraid of. GMPF probably made the 1st pick himself, then let Flahr do the rest of the draft with little input.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
no chance. Why is this so hard to understand?

3rd round and later are on the scouting staff. You think he personally targeted McBain, Khovanov, Dewar, and later picks himself? The staff made the recommendations for the players.

F. Johansson is on GMPF, this pick looks the the guy he wanted, regardless if the scouts had him as the BPA or not.

Reactions: 57special

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I used TWO question marks to show that it's a FUN conspiracy theory... I assume Flahr's pride is such that he would not actually draft a kid too early on purpose. And I'm on record defending Filip Johansson as a prospect - time will tell if it was a safety pick on good attributes, or a way-too-conservative boring pick that missed an obvious falling star in Veleno (or Bokk or whoever else ends up better).

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
McBain and Khovanov were great picks.
McBain was ranked as a first rounder most of the year and got punished for where he played. This year after mono he’s looked very strong. Khovanov was also an early high ranker who got sick. Is playing well this year too.
Both will make the scouting staff look good regardless of the first rounder.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dewar looks pretty good, also.

Just seething watching Veleno tear it up this year.

I am a guy who values defense more than most, but if I pick a team my first thing I'm going for is an offensive difference maker, or two. Then a star Dman. Then another offensive player, or two, then another really good dman who can run the 2nd pair, or make an elite first pairing. Then you fill up the roster with as many solid, two way character players as you can. Goalies are a different thing altogether.

Everyone is important, but the one thing that is hardest to find in the NHL is a guy who can score, and score against top opponents. It's pretty clear that we don't have a top 2 forward duo that will scare anyone. Granlund at his best is almost a #2F, but that's a stretch for him. Koivu is no longer a #2F, if he ever was one, and while Staal made a brief return to glory last year it's pretty clear he has seen better days.

To think that we would ignore a guy like Veleno who has offensive star potential and instead take a mediocrity like Johansson who has none, simply boggles my mind. I don't have a fraction of the knowledge that the guys who are out there scouting do, but F Jo seems to be the sort of guy you take with a 3rd rounder, and only if you have a need at that position. We've got Dumba, Spurgeon, Pateryn, Murphy, Belpedio, and Brodin can play RD. What was the rush to take F Jo? At this point S Jo might be a better player, and he was a 5th rounder.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A player like Pateryn is easily gettable, Murphy has already played up in the NHL and been OK. You don't spend a first rounder on a mediocre, defense first Dman because Spurgeon might leave in two years(betting on F. Johansson to be here in two years is a pipe dream, anyway). Hell, Koivu and Staal are far more likely not to be here. How about spending that 1st rounder on a C that has a chance to replace them?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would've been nice to have had a second, and waited till then to take F JO then, if we had to. I still don't get not picking Veleno...obviously we aren't the only team who are kicking themselves right now for not taking him. I haven't followed Bokk at all. don't know if was a "miss" also.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would've been nice to have had a second, and waited till then to take F JO then, if we had to. I still don't get not picking Veleno...obviously we aren't the only team who are kicking themselves right now for not taking him. I haven't followed Bokk at all. don't know if was a "miss" also.

Maybe they're all not as good at reading box scores as we all are?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Maybe they have actually seen the kid play?

Scouts miss on players all the time, because they start to scrutinize the player so much. Veleno had lofty expectations going into the draft and he didn't really meet them. It's not that hard to understand. They get picked apart throughout the year and scouts start doubting themselves.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Scouts miss on players all the time, because they start to scrutinize the player so much. Veleno had lofty expectations going into the draft and he didn't really meet them. It's not that hard to understand. They get picked apart throughout the year and scouts start doubting themselves.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'm waiting till he's out of Juniors before saying he was a miss. Veleno could easily end up another in a long line of junior studs who do nothing as pros.
Continually complaining about it... Especially this early is pointless.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm waiting till he's out of Juniors before saying he was a miss. Veleno could easily end up another in a long line of junior studs who do nothing as pros.
Continually complaining about it... Especially this early is pointless.
You continue giving this team a pass if you want. I'm not going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad