Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A terrible coach hurt him in the Olympics. Greenway is as good or better skater than any of the Wild's current centers.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I didn’t say he was hurt by his coach in the Olympics. I said he was kept off the ice when space opened up.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe. Maybe not.

I didn’t say he was hurt by his coach in the Olympics. I said he was kept off the ice when space opened up.
He was kept off the ice by a terrible coach. Not sure what you mean by the "maybe. maybe not"

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If they're playing him at center in his first NHL training camp, they want him to be a center. He has the skillset for center and the Wild are desperately in need of centers.
There's a difference between trying a player there and having the player end up there full time.

They've wanted Coyle at center off and on for years, yet when it comes to it, he always is back on wing where he clearly belongs.

I'll believe it when I see it that Greenway ends up as a center in the NHL.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If they're playing him at center in his first NHL training camp, they want him to be a center. He has the skillset for center and the Wild are desperately in need of centers.

I'm sure they would love him to grab hold of a top 6 center spot long term, but this is probably just some due deligence on their part more than a they see him as a center.

Heck BB I'd on record within the month that they think he's a wing.

But the coach who knows him best and was recently hired on as an nhl head coach said in the athletic he thinks greenway is an NHL center, so it would be borderline irresponsible to not give him a shot.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm sure they would love him to grab hold of a top 6 center spot long term, but this is probably just some due deligence on their part more than a they see him as a center.

Heck BB I'd on record within the month that they think he's a wing.

But the coach who knows him best and was recently hired on as an nhl head coach said in the athletic he thinks greenway is an NHL center, so it would be borderline irresponsible to not give him a shot.
This theory would make sense if they didn't also move Eriksson Ek to wing at the same time. It also makes zero sense to do it on the 1st day of his 1st NHL training camp, unless they are very serious about playing him at center.

As for the Coyle talk from Talon above, if he was constantly switching from 3rd line wing playing with guys like Ennis, and Eriksson Ek, to 2nd line center with Guys like Zucker and Niederreiter, people would probably have a different opinion of where he fits best.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This theory would make sense if they didn't also move Eriksson Ek to wing at the same time. It also makes zero sense to do it on the 1st day of his 1st NHL training camp, unless they are very serious about playing him at center.

As for the Coyle talk from Talon above, if he was constantly switching from 3rd line wing playing with guys like Ennis, and Eriksson Ek, to 2nd line center with Guys like Zucker and Niederreiter, people would probably have a different opinion of where he fits best.

Unless im reading Russo's reporting wrong, it wasnt first day. Ek was down the middle Friday. Greenway Saturday.

Maybe it'll be Ek again today, or Coyle even.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find it a bit bizarre that Greenway would be converted to a C in the NHL, after playing wing most of his life. I mean, after years of playing Coyle at C, and with him finally getting competent at FO's we are now going to put him back on wing, and spend the next few years trying to convert " the new Coyle" ( Greenway), into a C?

That's a good way to f*** up a prospect.

At least the 2019 draft has a ton of C prospects, though I don't know if there will be any good ones left when we pick.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Unless im reading Russo's reporting wrong, it wasnt first day. Ek was down the middle Friday. Greenway Saturday.

Maybe it'll be Ek again today, or Coyle even.
That would be a terrible idea. I think Boudreau is smarter than that.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I find it a bit bizarre that Greenway would be converted to a C in the NHL, after playing wing most of his life. I mean, after years of playing Coyle at C, and with him finally getting competent at FO's we are now going to put him back on wing, and spend the next few years trying to convert " the new Coyle" ( Greenway), into a C?

That's a good way to **** up a prospect.

At least the 2019 draft has a ton of C prospects, though I don't know if there will be any good ones left when we pick.
Greenway was a center at Boston

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was kept off the ice by a terrible coach. Not sure what you mean by the "maybe. maybe not"
The non-factor was kept off the ice in OT? Gee I wonder why. 1 goal, 1 point for all 5 games of the olympics. People are going to be really sad when he’s not some high end producer. Just wait.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The non-factor was kept off the ice in OT? Gee I wonder why. 1 goal, 1 point for all 5 games of the olympics. People are going to be really sad when he’s not some high end producer. Just wait.
Sorry for hurting your feelings about your garbage coach.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sorry for hurting your feelings about your garbage coach.
I’m not surprised you didn’t have a legitimate rebuttal. It’s cause one doesn’t exist. Greenway didn’t deserve to play OT, plain and simple. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’m not surprised you didn’t have a legitimate rebuttal. It’s cause one doesn’t exist. Greenway didn’t deserve to play OT, plain and simple. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Yeah, Granato did a great job with that team.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Why shouldn't he have been? I'll wait.
He was on the ice for both of Slovenia’s 3rd period goals. Last I checked ice time was earned and he didn’t earn it. Feel free to actually provide a reason he should’ve been on the ice other than he’s a Minnesota Wild prospect so your bias says he should play.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's ok. Our guys don't have to great at everything. Our 6'5" 225 lb prospect can still be good without being great skater.
Quality reply. Did you get that from the Badger boy? Did I ever say he was a great skater? You're the guy saying that skating will keep him from being a center despite the fact that he's already a better skater than at least 3 of the current centers.

There are a ton of things that could have Greenway playing on the wing this season. Hell, there's no guarantee that he even plays in the NHL this year, but skating won't be what holds him back. It's silly that it needs to be explained.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Quality reply. Did you get that from the Badger boy? Did I ever say he was a great skater? You're the guy saying that skating will keep him from being a center despite the fact that he's already a better skater than at least 3 of the current centers.

There are a ton of things that could have Greenway playing on the wing this season. Hell, there's no guarantee that he even plays in the NHL this year, but skating won't be what holds him back. It's silly that it needs to be explained.

Staal? No.
Eriksson Ek? No.
Koivu? Sure.
Fehr? Who cares.

If you're not playing your natural position, then skating can make up for a lot of things. If they want to develop him as a center, then Iowa is the place to do it, not the NHL with one half of a college season of experience at the position. Or maybe he's a savant, jumps in and crushes it. I'm certainly not rooting against it; just not overly optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino