Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd say the biggest thing is maybe the descrepency in how we view our "2nd tier" forward prospects. He has Lodina as our #4 prospect in the category of Legit NHLer, same as Kunin and Greenway.

Mcbain, Shaw and Svetlakov don't get a bunch of press around here and he has them above F. Johansson in the Have a chance category.

And the biggest surprise to me is Sokolov all the way down in the Depth notes. With his scoring skillset, regardless of the warts, i'd thought he'd be higher. We talk about him more of in line with Kunin, but he's barely a passable mention..

I'm not high on Ladonia at all and see him as depth. I agree with Sokolov as depth because he's a boom or bust type of prospect.

I wonder if F. Johansson being a 1st rounder works against him in some rankings? A lot of "experts" didn't like the pick at the time, and still don't like it. There could be some unintended/unnoticed bias against him. :dunno:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm not high on Ladonia at all and see him as depth. I agree with Sokolov as depth because he's a boom or bust type of prospect.

I wonder if F. Johansson being a 1st rounder works against him in some rankings? A lot of "experts" didn't like the pick at the time, and still don't like it. There could be some unintended/unnoticed bias against him. :dunno:

Lodnia is an underrated prospect. Hasn't gotten the pp time of many others - this will be a big season for him. Agree on Sokolov - maybe he'll surprise though.

And I think your point on Johansson is a great one. With all due respect to Pronman, he has now basically cut-and-pasted his same quibble about him. When I watch F Johansson the iq stands out, and if you're not going to get a guy with huge offense, then why not get a guy who plays a smart game? He looks to me like a middle-pairing guy but those kinds of players aren't easy to acquire. Late 1st is reasonable.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
it doesnt matter 2 me if others rank our prospect group low. kaprizov looks very good; sokolov has the upside im looking 4; greenway & kunin should be nhl 3rd liners (at least). plenty of 3rd pair D prospects some with 2nd pair possibilities. belpedio ; seeler; soucy; pair johanssons. i do really believe the right group of blue collar hard working players can win a cup.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Sokolov is going to be a blown opportunity if the Wild cannot develop him get him skating better, eating better, and being at least competent without the puck. He is right there if the Wild can reach him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sokolov is going to be a blown opportunity if the Wild cannot develop him get him skating better, eating better, and being at least competent without the puck. He is right there if the Wild can reach him.

Or the concerns that existed causing him to drop from a potential 1st round pick to a 7th round pick proved to be true.

I'm sure the Wild have talked to him about his fitness/skating every time they talk, and his junior and national team coaches as well. Only so much you can do. Interviews with Sokolov himself he mentions he knows he needs to get better.

You can lead the horse to water, can't force them to drink.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Or the concerns that existed causing him to drop from a potential 1st round pick to a 7th round pick proved to be true.

I'm sure the Wild have talked to him about his fitness/skating every time they talk, and his junior and national team coaches as well. Only so much you can do. Interviews with Sokolov himself he mentions he knows he needs to get better.

You can lead the horse to water, can't force them to drink.
But you can give them personal trainers and skating coaches.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But you can give them personal trainers and skating coaches.
You can make them easily available, but if the player doesn't have the "want to", then you are wasting your time. The league is simply too competitive to allow passengers, unless you are supremely talented, and Sokolov isn't that.

I suspect that he does want to, otherwise why would he come all the way to NA?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You can make them easily available, but if the player doesn't have the "want to", then you are wasting your time. The league is simply too competitive to allow passengers, unless you are supremely talented, and Sokolov isn't that.

You do not know until you try.

It seems silly that teams spend millions every year trying to "mine" diamonds from the masses of kids who play hockey but then try to cut every stone the same way.

I really wonder what would happen if a team let go of its entire amateur scouting division, auto-drafted based on an average of the more respectable draft rankings, and then focused entirely on individualized player development. Paid trainers , skill coaches, and psychologist to show up daily, weekly, with player's in their system. I am sure there is some kind of prohibition of that though.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Right, and, desire aside, some guys just don't have the metabolism to lose weight or add muscle. I mean, NHL players are elite human bodies, by definition not everyone is going to be able to do it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'd say the biggest thing is maybe the descrepency in how we view our "2nd tier" forward prospects. He has Lodina as our #4 prospect in the category of Legit NHLer, same as Kunin and Greenway.

Mcbain, Shaw and Svetlakov don't get a bunch of press around here and he has them above F. Johansson in the Have a chance category.

And the biggest surprise to me is Sokolov all the way down in the Depth notes. With his scoring skillset, regardless of the warts, i'd thought he'd be higher. We talk about him more of in line with Kunin, but he's barely a passable mention..

Yeah, the really notable things I saw were Lodnia up in the same tier as Kunin and Greenway and, as you mentioned, Sokolov all the way down with Soucy, Seeler, Menell and Kloos.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't Sokolov impressive in the Wild camp this summer, also? At worst, he seems to be a Pulkinnen type, but a Pulkinnen who is two inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier. Since part of what made TP ineffective was his lack of strength and physical stature, I'll take a chance on that. You can never have too many goal scorers.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Wasn't Sokolov impressive in the Wild camp this summer, also? At worst, he seems to be a Pulkinnen type, but a Pulkinnen who is two inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier. Since part of what made TP ineffective was his lack of strength and physical stature, I'll take a chance on that. You can never have too many goal scorers.

If you don't also have guys who can carry the puck and distribute the puck, then you can. And that's why Sokolov is a far inferior prospect (to Pronman at least) than Kotkaniemi, Mittelstadt, et al.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you don't also have guys who can carry the puck and distribute the puck, then you can. And that's why Sokolov is a far inferior prospect (to Pronman at least) than Kotkaniemi, Mittelstadt, et al.
Well, you're stating the obvious, there. Those are elite prospects you are comparing him, too, not Mason Shaw, Andrei Svetlakov, and Ivan Lodnia, which the article in question was comparing him to.

My understanding of Sokolov's weaknesses are that he might have slow feet(but is actually reasonably fast), a lack of interest in playing two ways, and had a lack of work ethic when he was 16 yo.

All those things are fixable, or already on the way to being fixed. Diligent Training can make you quicker, playing both ways is just a matter of "want to", i.e. Zucker/Nino, and he is no longer 16, when he was a young, probably homesick, guy in Sudbury.

There aren't a lot of pure snipers out there. If Sokolov has a part of what Laine and Boeser have, then i'll put up with some poor D. Stick him on the weak side during the PP, and take turns feeding him and Dumba the puck. That's all you need on a PP. Two shooters, a net front guy, a set up guy(or two), and a puck retrieval guy.

We'll see what happens in the AHL. He'll probably need a couple of years there, at least. I find it exciting to have a player that has a clear cut, recognizable skill, down on the farm. The Wild can use someone that lives and dies by his ability to score goals.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well, you're stating the obvious, there. Those are elite prospects you are comparing him, too, not Mason Shaw, Andrei Svetlakov, and Ivan Lodnia, which the article in question was comparing him to.

My understanding of Sokolov's weaknesses are that he might have slow feet(but is actually reasonably fast), a lack of interest in playing two ways, and had a lack of work ethic when he was 16 yo.

All those things are fixable, or already on the way to being fixed. Diligent Training can make you quicker, playing both ways is just a matter of "want to", i.e. Zucker/Nino, and he is no longer 16, when he was a young, probably homesick, guy in Sudbury.

There aren't a lot of pure snipers out there. If Sokolov has a part of what Laine and Boeser have, then i'll put up with some poor D. Stick him on the weak side during the PP, and take turns feeding him and Dumba the puck. That's all you need on a PP. Two shooters, a net front guy, a set up guy(or two), and a puck retrieval guy.

We'll see what happens in the AHL. He'll probably need a couple of years there, at least. I find it exciting to have a player that has a clear cut, recognizable skill, down on the farm. The Wild can use someone that lives and dies by his ability to score goals.

Definitely. We'll see if he has a pro-calibre shot. I think for the purposes of Pronman's ranking, we'll know a lot more when we see McBain in college, the Johanssons with more pro experience, Sokolov with pro experience, Khovanov healthy, Belpedio with a full pro season. Greenway should graduate, Kunin too. If things go reasonably well, Wild should rise, prospect-wise, regardless what the NHL team does.

Reactions: Aurinko

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pronman's recent article in the Athletic about players that impressed him in the recent U20 4 nations(Swe, FIN, RUS, CZE)tournament included a writeup on S. Johansson. Had good things to say about his shot, and ability to add offense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If they're playing him at center in his first NHL training camp, they want him to be a center. He has the skillset for center and the Wild are desperately in need of centers.

Who doesn’t want a 6’5” 240 lb center? We’ll see if his feet can keep up.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kept him from playing OT in the Olympics. I certainly wouldn’t call him “fleet of foot”.
A terrible coach hurt him in the Olympics. Greenway is as good or better skater than any of the Wild's current centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad