2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
5.3 million is great for Palat, the problem is we are trying to squeeze every ounce of production from every dollar.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
5.3 million is great for Palat, the problem is we are trying to squeeze every ounce of production from every dollar.
And it's a problem which is only exacerbated by the fact that damn near every new addition to our roster ends up being a home run.

Top tier problems, I suppose. I can live with it.

Reactions: Rschmitz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Is it though? Since 15-16.

Player A

381 hits
51 goals
109 ES points
150 total points

Player B

325 hits
60 goals
119 ES points
153 points

One of these players is said to have a terrible contract and is overpaid.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't know. I think he's our only forward having a bad year, and there's been a drop-off in his play since the contract. I wouldn't go so far as to call the contract bad, but it seems like his role is very similar to Alex Killorn's now, which is not what we'd been expecting.

That said, Palat could have a great post-season and erase all this.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is it though? Since 15-16.

Player A

381 hits
51 goals
109 ES points
150 total points

Player B

325 hits
60 goals
119 ES points
153 points

One of these players is said to have a terrible contract and is overpaid.

Who said Alex Killorn has a terrible contract? I would extend what I said to him too, that's a great contract for a .5 ppg player who is a beast in the playoffs, but we are a team trying to milk every ounce of productivity from every dollar. The only player on this team with a bad contract is Callahan.

Head to head, Palat-Killorn, I suppose it depends on how much grace you are willing to give a player for being hurt and how much you value defense. I'd say their contributions are about the same for how much they cost, Palat is the better player when healthy but it's been a while since he's been 100%.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't know. I think he's our only forward having a bad year, and there's been a drop-off in his play since the contract. I wouldn't go so far as to call the contract bad, but it seems like his role is very similar to Alex Killorn's now, which is not what we'd been expecting.

That said, Palat could have a great post-season and erase all this.

Callahan is also having a bad year, our expectations for the two are just so different it doesn't feel that way.

I think we all forget just how good Palat can be. He's been decimated by injuries, but I have hope he'll get back to where he was. I wouldn't be upset if we dealt him/lost him to Seattle or whatever, but at one point in time he was our best forechecking and playmaking winger.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Who said Alex Killorn has a terrible contract? I would extend what I said to him too, that's a great contract for a .5 ppg player who is a beast in the playoffs, but we are a team trying to milk every ounce of productivity from every dollar. The only player on this team with a bad contract is Callahan.

Head to head, Palat-Killorn, I suppose it depends on how much grace you are willing to give a player for being hurt and how much you value defense. I'd say their contributions are about the same for how much they cost, Palat is the better player when healthy but it's been a while since he's been 100%.
we have good contracts other then Callahan people will see that this summer when new deals get signed! lots of teams would take killorn for 4.450 cap hit

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He has the horses to do it with. Collapsing and blocking shots on the PK was a Bowness thing and a strategy for the dead puck era. Teams have way too much skill and speed now to play prevent defense on a 5 on 4. Playing that way also neutered our team strength of being generally one of the fastest teams in the league.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Callahan is also having a bad year, our expectations for the two are just so different it doesn't feel that way.

I think we all forget just how good Palat can be. He's been decimated by injuries, but I have hope he'll get back to where he was. I wouldn't be upset if we dealt him/lost him to Seattle or whatever, but at one point in time he was our best forechecking and playmaking winger.

We forget how good he can be because it's been a while since we've seen it. Probably MArch/April of 2017. That said, if Stamkos can get it back, there's definitely hope for Palat.

I think Callahan's having a pretty decent year, really. Bad by the expectation set by his contract, but good by any reasonable expectation of his skillset coming into the year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This team just bleeds hockey IQ. All 3 of those goals against Montreal came as the result of our everyone paying attention and thinking quickly about what play was available and the goal scorer not only being ready, but simply just pulling off a hell of a shot when it came time.

Reactions: twenty5psi

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has the horses to do it with. Collapsing and blocking shots on the PK was a Bowness thing and a strategy for the dead puck era. Teams have way too much skill and speed now to play prevent defense on a 5 on 4. Playing that way also neutered our team strength of being generally one of the fastest teams in the league.

Crazily enough, isn't Dallas's PK working well under Bowness?

But yeah, our team wasn't built for passive play.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Crazily enough, isn't Dallas's PK working well under Bowness?

But yeah, our team wasn't built for passive play.

Yeah but Bishop is doing Bishop things there too so I'm not scratching my head wondering where the success is coming from. I don't think Bowness knew what to do to overcome the loss of such an adept puck handling goaltender

Reactions: DFC

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We forget how good he can be because it's been a while since we've seen it. Probably MArch/April of 2017. That said, if Stamkos can get it back, there's definitely hope for Palat.

I think Callahan's having a pretty decent year, really. Bad by the expectation set by his contract, but good by any reasonable expectation of his skillset coming into the year.

Very surprised with how well Dallas has performed defensively. They aren't a team known for their 2 way play.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Killorn and Cirelli have been very good together this year. Cirelli just does so many things right. His addition to the team was like netting a highly touted bottom 6 center in the offseason. The chemistry with him and Killorn just wears on teams whereas before Killorn on a line typically didn't do that because he's either mopping the floor or too slow.

Everything is clicking and we are setting records and "first since" it seems like every game. What a year. Need to win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad