2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm ok with reducing ice time for top forwards heading into playoffs but you definitely need to keep momentum going in - a winning streak entering the playoffs is huge. Last thing you want to do is go in too relaxed against a hot team.

Recent games have been great for us, we're stuffing out all the teams trying to make a push in MTL, CLB and PHI, gives us an even bigger mental advantage come playoffs.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm ok with reducing ice time for top forwards heading into playoffs but you definitely need to keep momentum going in - a winning streak entering the playoffs is huge. Last thing you want to do is go in too relaxed against a hot team.

Recent games have been great for us, we're stuffing out all the teams trying to make a push in MTL, CLB and PHI, gives us an even bigger mental advantage come playoffs.
There is nothing statistically that points to this, and funny enough, I can tell you i've heard 3 separate ideas of this from the top 3 heads in the organization.
- One says you should go in on a hot streak and carry momentum
- Another says you should go in slightly cold and save your energy for the playoffs
- The third says none of that matters

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah - I'm of the mind that the third is correct. There's a lot of examples from each situation, and none of them point in the same direction. The playoffs are just different.

You need great players to play great to win in the playoffs. The regular season is to get them ready to do that. Whether that's well rested, on a roll, or whatever? Probably depends a bit on the player.

Also - I mean what is Tampa supposed to do? We put up 3 in the first period against the Flyers and then coasted for the next 40. We put up 2 against Columbus with no one playing particularly well. I don't know if we're going to go in hot or not, but at the same time I don't think winning or losing is really indicative of that. We're just better than most teams in the league right now. To beat us, you need to bring your A game *and* hope we don't bring ours. Because even not playing our best, we'll beat your B game.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I thought during the play offs he was one of there stand out players when we played them. Seems to have dropped dramatically this season though no doubt he will get claimed by a team.
His regular season production isn't that far off, although I'm not a Capitals scholar, so I can't speak to the eye test. Last season he had 16 points. He's on pace for 12. His largest amount was 25 in 15-16.

Maybe he's a playoff performer? 13-14 with Anaheim, 5 goals in 12 games.

His regular season performance in NJ when he was traded there (15-16) was basically their playoffs to try and get in (they did not). 8+5=13 over 18 games

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Looking at who we may have to expose in the Seattle expansion draft in 2021, would Tyler Johnson waive to go to Seattle ? His home town of Spokane is 5 hours drive from there?

He doesn't need to waive, he has a NTC not a NMC.

We'd probably have to throw some incentive in there for them to take him though, because Seattle would want Cernak or Foote.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

Really don't think we should have any problems keeping this group together. We will lose a couple of depth guys but we have plenty of prospects ready to go. People who think we are going to fall of any time soon are in for a disappointment.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Love the praise but it's strange to be a part of. If we win the Cup it's going to be one of those cases of "You had like the best team ever. It wasn't obvious during the year the Lightning would win it? How did you NOT know?" and if we DON'T win it then.... well it's gonna be something people always talk about.

But until then I'll believe it when it happens.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah - I'm of the mind that the third is correct. There's a lot of examples from each situation, and none of them point in the same direction. The playoffs are just different.

You need great players to play great to win in the playoffs. The regular season is to get them ready to do that. Whether that's well rested, on a roll, or whatever? Probably depends a bit on the player.

Also - I mean what is Tampa supposed to do? We put up 3 in the first period against the Flyers and then coasted for the next 40. We put up 2 against Columbus with no one playing particularly well. I don't know if we're going to go in hot or not, but at the same time I don't think winning or losing is really indicative of that. We're just better than most teams in the league right now. To beat us, you need to bring your A game *and* hope we don't bring ours. Because even not playing our best, we'll beat your B game.

I think it bodes well that we're kind of on autopilot, and still blowing teams out. That's very different from the record-setting Wings team that failed to win a cup. They played like every game was SCF Game 7. We're not doing that at all. We look like we're punching a clock, collecting points. We turn it on when we have to. It has a "well oiled machine" feel.

All that said, I've always thought the biggest X factor in the playoffs has very little to do with a team itself, but "which goalie can get hot at the right time?" A lot of bad teams have gone very, very deep on the back of a mediocre goalie having the run of his life.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it bodes well that we're kind of on autopilot, and still blowing teams out. That's very different from the record-setting Wings team that failed to win a cup. They played like every game was SCF Game 7. We're not doing that at all. We look like we're punching a clock, collecting points. We turn it on when we have to. It has a "well oiled machine" feel.

All that said, I've always thought the biggest X factor in the playoffs has very little to do with a team itself, but "which goalie can get hot at the right time?" A lot of bad teams have gone very, very deep on the back of a mediocre goalie having the run of his life.

*Halak flashbacks intensify*

Reactions: Hoek

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Not sure if this is the correct time period but I remember hearing either Cooper or a player talk about their practices after the all star game (before their first game back). They said that they wanted to be able to play without even talking to each other. They wanted to just KNOW where each other were on the ice. Now I don't know if this was something new they were trying but it would explain the slight dip in play we saw after the break. I know people think the team is back to the way it was during the regular season with the winning streak but the team wasn't playing this well defensively.

I think whatever they were working on post all star game has gone into full effect. The team is scoring like they were to start the year but now the team defense is on another level. Has me really excited.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Not sure if this is the correct time period but I remember hearing either Cooper or a player talk about their practices after the all star game (before their first game back). They said that they wanted to be able to play without even talking to each other. They wanted to just KNOW where each other were on the ice. Now I don't know if this was something new they were trying but it would explain the slight dip in play we saw after the break. I know people think the team is back to the way it was during the regular season with the winning streak but the team wasn't playing this well defensively.

I think whatever they were working on post all star game has gone into full effect. The team is scoring like they were to start the year but now the team defense is on another level. Has me really excited.

They unlocked Ultra Instict but instead of facing Jiren, they're facing Raditz.

Reactions: Master P

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I thought during the play offs he was one of there stand out players when we played them. Seems to have dropped dramatically this season though no doubt he will get claimed by a team.
We could use him in the playoffs. Claim him and send Joseph down for now.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Lets just be Hypothetical for a second. Lets say there is no cap, and Vinik is willing to spend (He's done nothing to suggest he wouldn't.) Take our Roster and add Panarin and Karlsson that we pick up off of free agency....Holy shit.....:P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lets just be Hypothetical for a second. Lets say there is no cap, and Vinik is willing to spend (He's done nothing to suggest he wouldn't.) Take our Roster and add Panarin and Karlsson that we pick up off of free agency....Holy ****.....:P

Even without that. The seriously crazy thing is our roster, right now, looks like a pre-cap roster. We've done things this season that aren't supposed to happen in the age of parity.

Steve. ****ing. Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad