- Josh Brook with 1 assist / 2 SOG / 2 PIM

- Cole Fonstad with 1 assist / +3 / 2 SOG / Named 3rd Star of the Game

Kelowna Rockets (5 - 2) Victoria Royals

- Scott Walford with 2 assists / -1 / 1 SOG​

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Walford continues his point per game pace with a 4 assist weekend. That's 7-25-32 in 30 games.

I know I make this point a lot but he's better than people think. He's obviously no Brook or anything but he could end up a bottom pairing D if all goes well. At the very least he could be a decent player for Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I never viewed Walford as that skilled, he played 167 games before this year and scored just 9 goals. I know he's had injury problems but when you are 18 and score 2 goals in 69 games that's a very troubling number. This year he started out with 3 goals in 35 games, and since has 6 in the last 19. It's great that he's red hot right now and that could be enough to get a contract but you still have to worry when a kid at 17 and 18 is around a .5 ppg and then at 19 breaks out. Of course some kids just develop latter, and of course there's injuries that impact development but still played 129 games at 17 and 18 and had 62 pts.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I never viewed Walford as that skilled, he played 167 games before this year and scored just 9 goals. I know he's had injury problems but when you are 18 and score 2 goals in 69 games that's a very troubling number. This year he started out with 3 goals in 35 games, and since has 6 in the last 19. It's great that he's red hot right now and that could be enough to get a contract but you still have to worry when a kid at 17 and 18 is around a .5 ppg and then at 19 breaks out. Of course some kids just develop latter, and of course there's injuries that impact development but still played 129 games at 17 and 18 and had 62 pts.

I believe he had a hot streak in his draft year which had Grant/Timmins take notice. Maybe it's opportunity, but they saw something.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He won't reach Domi's numbers, though Domi was on more stacked teams vs Suzuki not having many skilled players on his teams. Suzuki has 12 games left to see where he ends up. Corey Locke was previsouly the only Hab prospect to break 300 pts in the OHL while under his age 20 season.

Domi - 244 games - 331 pts.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He won't reach Domi's numbers, though Domi was on more stacked teams vs Suzuki not having many skilled players on his teams. Suzuki has 12 games left to see where he ends up. Corey Locke was previsouly the only Hab prospect to break 300 pts in the OHL while under his age 20 season.

Domi - 244 games - 331 pts.
So Suzuki will likely get to 251 games and 320 points approx - hopefully he ends up with similar NHL production to Max Domi as well.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Walford picks up another assist tonight, has a very respectable 18 points in his last 13 games.

ELC, here we come!

I could be wrong, but from my recollection, MB signs most of his CHL prospects to ELC's around March/April, usually when the CHL Playoffs are about to kick off or are already in progress.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
It sure feels good having both Walford and Ikonen back in the legit prospect conversation, makes our 2017 draft look really impressive. All of the drafted guys look like they could have a career in the pros, three of them look like surefire NHLers and I’d say two or three others have an outside shot at it.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
It sure feels good having both Walford and Ikonen back in the legit prospect conversation, makes our 2017 draft look really impressive. All of the drafted guys look like they could have a career in the pros, three of them look like surefire NHLers and I’d say two or three others have an outside shot at it.

I'm sure even the outside guys will get at least 1 NHL game. Really impressive draft.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
ELC, here we come!

I could be wrong, but from my recollection, MB signs most of his CHL prospects to ELC's around March/April, usually when the CHL Playoffs are about to kick off or are already in progress.

Usually but they were really late signing Fleury last year. Had me worried they weren't going to sign him.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Usually but they were really late signing Fleury last year. Had me worried they weren't going to sign him.
That was because they had until June 1st 2019 to sign him. So Fleury could have played another season in the WHL. The 2017 CHL draftees have until June 1st 2019 to sign. After that the Habs lose their rights.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Just rewatched some of the WJC and I have to echo @Goldenhands vis-a-vis Ylönen. He had a fantastic performance all tournament long, and he just plays an NHL game in general. Fast, smart, and direct.

Also, Gord and Ray were just unlistenable during the Gold medal game. Gord was talking about how the finns need to ''dig themselves out of the hole they're in'' when it was 0-0. The entire time they were talking like Finland was this David to the USA's Goliath. Like...

xfCgoBn.png

Also, Poehling really f***ed up on that botched zone entry leading to Finland's second goal. Ended up standing around in no-man's land. Otherwise he had a good game and created more than enough scoring chances to compensate, but nobody could convert.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just rewatched some of the WJC and I have to echo @Goldenhands vis-a-vis Ylönen. He had a fantastic performance all tournament long, and he just plays an NHL game in general. Fast, smart, and direct.

Also, Gord and Ray were just unlistenable during the Gold medal game. Gord was talking about how the finns need to ''dig themselves out of the hole they're in'' when it was 0-0. The entire time they were talking like Finland was this David to the USA's Goliath. Like...

xfCgoBn.png

Also, Poehling really ****ed up on that botched zone entry leading to Finland's second goal. Ended up standing around in no-man's land. Otherwise he had a good game and created more than enough scoring chances to compensate, but nobody could convert.
Ya Ylonen was very impressive. He looked MUCH better than Suzuki

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

xfCgoBn.png

Also, Poehling really ****ed up on that botched zone entry leading to Finland's second goal. Ended up standing around in no-man's land. Otherwise he had a good game and created more than enough scoring chances to compensate, but nobody could convert.
Et voila! He will fit pretty nicely on the Habs fast paced system and his skills will be pretty needed too... As for Poehling, while he plays a solid 200 ft game, he will make some mistakes here and there, I dont feel like his game is quite NHL ready yet, so thats why I would start him in the AHL and see how it goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: a55p2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad