2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Am I the only one who thinks that DeBrincat's NHL success might be short lived? He's tiny and not that great of a skater. If he loses a step at any point he might be toast. Honestly, I think that his career might be 3-6 years at most and the Hawks should cash in when his value is highest(not necessarily now) I'd trade DeBrincat for Hamilton and not think twice about it. Hamilton is underrated on HF Hawks, IMO. Cat is overrated.

Probably

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Am I the only one who thinks that DeBrincat's NHL success might be short lived? He's tiny and not that great of a skater. If he loses a step at any point he might be toast. Honestly, I think that his career might be 3-6 years at most and the Hawks should cash in when his value is highest(not necessarily now) I'd trade DeBrincat for Hamilton and not think twice about it. Hamilton is underrated on HF Hawks, IMO. Cat is overrated.

You are the only one.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Seconded.
Thirded.

A. He's not a bad skater, he's actually a pretty damn good one.
B. He's short. He's not tiny. He's built like a brick shit-house.
C. His Hockey IQ is off the charts.

Alex DeBrincat - The Next Ones: 2016 NHL Draft Profile

Last edited:
Reactions: JaegerDice

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
People knock DeBrincats skating because generally all small guys are absolutely terrific skaters. DeBrincat really isn’t a bad skater at all, he just lacks that explosive first step. He pretty clearly makes up for it with hockey IQ and one of the better releases in the game.

DeBrincat is going to be a high end goal scorer in this league for awhile imo.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Debrincat has been proving people who doubt him wrong at every single level of hockey he's ever played at.

He has proven, again and again, he can adapt to whoever you put him on a line with and continue to put up crazy goal totals.

Anywhere.

Any level.

Take away McDavid? Cool, I'll score more goals.

How about we all agree to move beyond Don Cherry quality analysis of what it takes to succeed in the NHL?

Kid can play.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
People knock DeBrincats skating because generally all small guys are absolutely terrific skaters. DeBrincat really isn’t a bad skater at all, he just lacks that explosive first step. He pretty clearly makes up for it with hockey IQ and one of the better releases in the game.

DeBrincat is going to be a high end goal scorer in this league for awhile imo.

Right, he's a good skater. I attribute the lack of that explosive first step to him being built like a damn redwood trunk. He's not your skinny, wiry, super speedy small guy a la JG.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
DeBrincat came into last season quicker than he’d be been the season prior and was quicker by the end of the season than he was at the start. His skating is plenty good to sustain what he’s done and will continue to do in the NHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why? If they rebuild right, hit with some good picks, you have new Keiths, and Seabrooks, and Toews, and Kanes coming in to replace them, and they'll turn into the John Maddens, and Jamal Mayers of the past. The savvy vets, necessary on every Cup team. At least that's how it's supposed to go. Why does it have to be "Now, or never again!" ??
I mean, I could see that happening in 10+ years, but not anytime in the next 5 or so.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Why? It's evident that's not the goal at this point. This team has gone into a smallish, on-the-fly rebuild. Stan has continually made the team younger, and not sacrificed the future for the now. That should be obvious to everyone.

I'm pretty sure we've debated over this before. I prefer to not sacrifice being a contender in the future, to winning one more cup while Toews and Kane are still playing at a high enough level. And IDK if you can actually do both things at this point.

Maybe this is why we differ so much on everything. I think they are trying to win now without mortgaging the future. I dont think they intentionally made the team younger it just so happened that the older guys are hit injuries, play decline, or retirement. Campbell Hossa Bickell Oduya Hammer. They have gotten rid of younger guys that they didnt think that could "win now" with Leddy TT Hartman.

AKA i think they would not have a problem trading schmaltz or debrincat+ for an upgrade now. Also for good or bad the people making decisions jobs are on the line to win now not in the future.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe this is why we differ so much on everything. I think they are trying to win now without mortgaging the future. I dont think they intentionally made the team younger it just so happened that the older guys are hit injuries, play decline, or retirement. Campbell Hossa Bickell Oduya Hammer. They have gotten rid of younger guys that they didnt think that could "win now" with Leddy TT Hartman.

Possibly. I just don't see how removing the majority of your veteran players that were on the Cup teams, and replacing them with younger players on better contracts, signifies that they're in win now mode. To me, Stan is in "Let's see if we can't extend that window by another decade" mode, without being a basement-dweller in the meantime.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't see why not, though. There's a ton of talent on this team, and even more incoming in the next couple seasons. I'm talking about being a contender from about 2020-2025, or beyond.
There are no Toews, or Kanes coming through the pipeline. And I highly doubt there are any Keiths.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There are no Toews, or Kanes coming through the pipeline. And I highly doubt there are any Keiths.

You just don't know, though. Keith wasn't Keith until he was 24-25 years old. There are D that have huge upside in the pipeline, and look outstanding, in comparison to how Keith looked back then around 18-22 years old.
As for no Toews or Kanes, no, not guarantees, like they basically were. But this year you have what is essentially a top 3-5 OA pick any other draft, even though you're picking at #8. And then you have more talent at #27, because the massive amount of talent in the top 10 slides everyone down the board. You have a chance to pick up a top 6 forward and a top 4 D in this draft, with the Hawks having two picks in the 1st.

Maybe I'm just more optimistic than most. I just think that Stan is building this team for another decade-long run, as opposed to trying to win another Cup right now, with this core.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

AKA i think they would not have a problem trading schmaltz or debrincat+ for an upgrade now.

It's not what I'd call optimistic. I think it's clearly the direction Stan has gone since the preds loss.

He deliberated traded two older guys with 2 year deals for 4 year deal younger skaters. And contract security building the team going forward. Its why being that bad was far better for the club than keeping a playoff streak up

Before they were in win now mode all the time and had this season as likely end but that changed.

And all the other last offseason moves went that way too. The the older vets they signed were all to 1 year deals. Everything was makeshift year set up for future, and I doubt that changes too much. Maybe one bigger multi year ufa.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's not what I'd call optimistic. I think it's clearly the direction Stan has gone since the preds loss.

He deliberated traded two older guys with 2 year deals for 4 year deal younger skaters. And contract security building the team going forward.

Before they were in win now mode all the time and had this season as likely end but that changed.

And all the other last offseason moves went that way too. The the older vets they signed were all to 1 year deals. Everything was makeshift year set up for future, and I doubt that changes too much. Maybe one bigger multi year ufa.

I think he's rebuilding on the fly, and it's obvious to me. Maybe it's not to others. :dunno:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I watched a 20 minute highlight clip of DeBrincat's rookie year just yesterday and was amazed at how much awesome hockey I forgot he played. The kid is a lot quicker in this video than I remember him being (and I had little issue with his skating previous to watching this video) and the amount of high quality shots that he had was mind blowing. I was constantly being impressed by how deadly and efficient his shot was and am actually a little surprised he didn't hit 30 last year.

If we trade him, no matter the return, I'm joining BWC on the Bowman hate train.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I know that the Hawks like keeping things close to their chest, but holy shit.... it's pretty vexing to claim to have no updates on Crawford. The only way you don't have an update on someone months later is if they were in a coma and were still in a coma.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

He deliberated traded two older guys with 2 year deals for 4 year deal younger skaters. And contract security building the team going forward. Its why being that bad was far better for the club than keeping a playoff streak up

I dont disagree with the bolded

he saw what happened with seabrook and whats coming with hammer. saads only a year younger then panarin i think that was just about "fit" (whoops) and the contract and things panarin is pulling right now to the jackets. I think they were hoping to be a contender last year and are hoping to be a contender this year.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I watched a 20 minute highlight clip of DeBrincat's rookie year just yesterday and was amazed at how much awesome hockey I forgot he played. The kid is a lot quicker in this video than I remember him being (and I had little issue with his skating previous to watching this video) and the amount of high quality shots that he had was mind blowing. I was constantly being impressed by how deadly and efficient his shot was and am actually a little surprised he didn't hit 30 last year.

If we trade him, no matter the return, I'm joining BWC on the Bowman hate train.

A part of his game that also really blossomed that doesn't get a lot of attention is his passing and playmaking ability. He had some beauty passes and set ups this past season, which illustrate his phenomenal vision and awareness/intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad