2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't even begin to agree with that.

There is a reasonable stretch of 10 years where he was the best defensive forward in the world. 8 of those were elite years. His peak defensive years were probably the best defensive years a center has ever put up. Now best ever... Bergeron, Gainey, Fedorov, and Datsyuk probably have arguments. Guy is right there though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Teams are so damn afraid of arbitration, but that is beyond hilarious! Must be out partying on an island! :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wow. Can't imagine there's a ton of incentive to negotiate with the team that didn't even bother qualifying you.

We've seen it a couple times recently. I believe Derek Pouliot re-signed with Vancouver after not getting qualified. It is simply a tool to avoid arbitration rights.

I know many hate him, but I'd take a one or two year flyer on Hartman if he made it to free agency. Combine him with Calvert and you have one hell of a pesty bottom 6. Calvert on the third and Hartman on the 4th.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We've seen it a couple times recently. I believe Derek Pouliot re-signed with Vancouver after not getting qualified. It is simply a tool to avoid arbitration rights.

I know many hate him, but I'd take a one or two year flyer on Hartman if he made it to free agency. Combine him with Calvert and you have one hell of a pesty bottom 6. Calvert on the third and Hartman on the 4th.

And sometimes to get them locked in at a lower $$$ as well, which I think happened with Devante Smith-Pelly in Washington. And then dude got waived/demoted that same season, so...:dunno:

I'd be fine with Ryan Hartman not being in the Central, but whatever. I liked him in Chicago but dude's game has kinda fallen off a cliff. And the Avs take enough dumb penalties as is. But for people who think the team has gotta get tougher, well, here you go.

I suppose if there was a time to pull this, it's when cap space is at a premium and your market value is relatively low. They have no choice but to come back, at least that's what they're gambling on.

I'm guessing that this particular loophole might be addressed in the next CBA somehow. Not sure how though. It'd be a relatively easy thing to throw the players' way as sort of a peace offering.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And sometimes to get them locked in at a lower $$$ as well, which I think happened with Devante Smith-Pelly in Washington. And then dude got waived/demoted that same season, so...:dunno:

I'd be fine with Ryan Hartman not being in the Central, but whatever.

Yup... DSP is another one. Hutton might be another this year! Benning loves this idea! :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm guessing that this particular loophole might be addressed in the next CBA somehow. Not sure how though. It'd be a relatively easy thing to throw the players' way as sort of a peace offering.

It'd be pretty simple - if you fail to qualify a player who has arbitration rights, you are not allowed to sign them.
It would basically be the same rule as if you bought them out.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's be pretty simple - if you fail to qualify a player who has arbitration rights, you are not allowed to sign them.
It would basically be the same rule as if you bought them out.

Yep, that'd work. I still think teams will be booting them out of fear of arbitration though, but at least there's no work-around.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm so happy that a team is finally getting hit with that cap recapture penalty. My hope now is that Nashville is next up when Shea Weber retires.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm so happy that a team is finally getting hit with that cap recapture penalty. My hope now is that Nashville is next up when Shea Weber retires.

Guaranteed if he was still in Vancouver or if the Panthros had to take on the majority of the hit they'd have LTIR'd him. I don't think we'll ever see the cap recapture ever willingly be accepted, and really, if the league is never going to actually look into these inane maladies that suddenly crop up at a very convenient time, then why should they?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Guaranteed if he was still in Vancouver or if the Panthros had to take on the majority of the hit they'd have LTIR'd him. I don't think we'll ever see the cap recapture ever willingly be accepted, and really, if the league is never going to actually look into these inane maladies that suddenly crop up at a very convenient time, then why should they?

ehhh it takes two to tango with LTIR, and it isn't without any cost. The team still has to count the LTIR player against the cap during the offseason, and there's rules about how much you can exceed the cap during the offseason. Just look at Vegas with Clarkson - people are talking about how they need to trade him to shed his cap hit, even though he's on LTIR during the season.

Bottom line, if a player wants to retire the team can't force him to go on LTIR instead.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
ehhh it takes two to tango with LTIR, and it isn't without any cost. The team still has to count the LTIR player against the cap during the offseason, and there's rules about how much you can exceed the cap during the offseason. Just look at Vegas with Clarkson - people are talking about how they need to trade him to shed his cap hit, even though he's on LTIR during the season.

Bottom line, if a player wants to retire the team can't force him to go on LTIR instead.

Well, there's benefits for the player if he just goes along with it--he gets paid in full whereas he gets nothing if he retires. It just so happens that the Panthers would rather just take the penalty than have to deal with the headaches that you list here that come with an LTIR-ing.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well, there's benefits for the player if he just goes along with it--he gets paid in full whereas he gets nothing if he retires. It just so happens that the Panthers would rather just take the penalty than have to deal with the headaches that you list here that come with an LTIR-ing.

You're still assuming the player would want that. Maybe guys who have had these monster contracts are fine with just making a clean break.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're still assuming the player would want that. Maybe guys who have had these monster contracts are fine with just making a clean break.

That's a possibility, and Luongo himself once literally said to the media that his contract sucks. But I find it difficult to imagine a scenario where a team has a medical excuse all ready to go and the player says "Nope, I'm retiring. To hell with you and your money."

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad