2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Probably not at all tbh. He's won 2 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, 1 World Cup, and 1 Norris Trophy.

Sure, losing sucks. But the guy has all the hardware already. This was his opportunity to get PAID while living in California getting to play hockey.
I think you are underestimating how much he hates to lose. Players like him don't care how often they have won. They want more and more and more. It is wired into them.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Laine is back (??) cool, I really like the guy. He is the type of player managing scoring 20-30 goals even when looking lazy & awful but he is having true superstar potential. I know even the Finns themselves are confused about Laine and having mixed feelings. ;-) Jets looking like a very dangerous team this season.

Last edited:

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Barrie ended up -4 lol

Edit: Barrie -6 in the last 2 games and on the Leafs board they already like Kerfoot better and don't seem interested in extending Barrie lol.

Good thing they already locked up the soon-to-be 3 time Selke winner

Reactions: obZen

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There's three ways to go about ex-players:

1. Appreciate them for what they brought here and wish them well
  2. Forget they existed and pay them no mind
  3. Be a clown who has to crap on them to make himself feel better

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Oilers-Devils game.
If you are going to sing the other country's anthem you should probably learn how to pronounce the country's name properly. It's not Ca-nay-da, it's Ca-na-da you idiot.

8exH.gif

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
BTW, the lack of effort by the Leafs on the backcheck and in general how their forwards support their defensemen is outrageous. On the first ES goal there is a shooter right between the faceoff dots and no one is covering him, he shoots at Anderson who spills the puck that hit him in the chest. On the 2nd ES goal, they let Shatty dance through without no one laying a finger on him, Rielly being the biggest culprit there. On the 3rd one Muzzin gives up the zone easily, Barrie is late getting back, but there are also no forwards actively backchecking which results in an easy re-direct goal. But the 4th ES goal is actually hideous. No one tries to get back after a turnover, and Barrie is left 2 on 1, and in the end, Andersen gets beat on a shot he shouldn't have been beaten on.

Reactions: Kaizer

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Changing topics to the Devils, I think they'll be in better shape tanking this year and eventually trading Taylor Hall and getting something substantial back (IE Matt Duchene trade). Then hopefully they stay in the top four after the drafting lottery and grab one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, or whoever #4 will be to replace Hall. That player will probably be at least Hall-good and in some ways others such as Lafreniere have the talent to even be better than him and they're all cost-controlled as well. Another aspect they could consider is finishing 5th to 11th as a blessing in disguise and drafting Askarov if HockeyProspects.com rankings are anything to uphold (which IMHO they are).

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I've said before and I'll say it again, Freddy Andersen is not a legit franchise goalie. Certainly not for the Leafs to do what they want to do.
Was listening to tsn 1050 podcast this morning and buddy kept calling him a no doubt top 5 goalie. He's nowhere near that for me.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Changing topics to the Devils, I think they'll be in better shape tanking this year and eventually trading Taylor Hall and getting something substantial back (IE Matt Duchene trade). Then hopefully they stay in the top four after the drafting lottery and grab one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, or whoever #4 will be to replace Hall. That player will probably be at least Hall-good and in some ways others such as Lafreniere have the talent to even be better than him and they're all cost-controlled as well. Another aspect they could consider is finishing 5th to 11th as a blessing in disguise and drafting Askarov if HockeyProspects.com rankings are anything to uphold (which IMHO they are).

I’ve said this for a while. They have a window of 1-2 years where they’re going to suck before Hughes/Hischier really take off. They should trade Hall for as good picks and prospects as they can. I’d also trade subban and eat 50% of his cap hit, which would give you at least a 1st +.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

They aren't getting anywhere near Duchene's return for rental Hall.

This is a team that got insanely lucky twice with the lottery at our expense. I don't like them and I don't like their star players.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’ve said this for a while. They have a window of 1-2 years where they’re going to suck before Hughes/Hischier really take off. They should trade Hall for as good picks and prospects as they can. I’d also trade subban and eat 50% of his cap hit, which would give you at least a 1st +.
Send Subban to Winnipeg. They deserve each other.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
All I know is the Jets HAVE to do something. You can't let these final years of Blake Wheeler waste away with an AHL defence corps.

Really?
Blake Wheeler is a good hockey player and all, but it's not like a tragedy if he doesn't win anything. He's not a player you build around, he's a complimentary piece.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Really?
Blake Wheeler is a good hockey player and all, but it's not like a tragedy if he doesn't win anything. He's not a player you build around, he's a complimentary piece.

Blake Wheeler is top 5 in scoring if you combine the past 5 seasons.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Watching the Hurricanes and Islanders. Announcer was recounting a story about Niederreiter saying how everyone was commenting how fast MacKinnon was his rookie year and Niederreiter thought he's just as fast. Made me think, yeah, you're fast but no one has MacKinnon's explosiveness.

No matter how you cut it

Niederreiter<MacKinnon

Reactions: Foppa2118

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Mack est so fast with the puck, it's stupid.
I agree the devils should trade Hall, I wonder what they can get for him ?
Depending WHEN they trade him, probably a 1st and a A/B+ Prospect, no ? Before trading Hall they might want to get ride of Hynes, their puck possesion stats are so low....

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really?
He's been the Jets' best player for years now and I believe is still their best overall player.

I don't think he's a complimentary piece at all.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Some thought around the league.

• Quick should be traded as soon a as a good deal can be made. It's time for the Kings to pass the net on to the next generation. Trade quick while he still has value to a team that thinks they're just a goalie away from competing.
  • That Detroit top line is going to hurt their chances of getting the #1 overall pick they're obviously going for.
  • Toronto management forgot that you need players who can clear the front of your net and play physical sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad