2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He's been the Jets' best player for years now and I believe is still their best overall player.

I don't think he's a complimentary piece at all.
Yeah, no he's definitely the Jets' most important player.

Now, you don't have to do anything for Blake Wheeler, but if you're planning to still get something out of his productive years they gotta do it now.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
How do you know they didn't and Vegas just didn't want to trade him in-conference if they had a choice?
I don't.

I'm sure the Avs could have easily topped the price the Canes paid for him. If Vegas still didn't want to send Haula to the Avs then the Avs could have used a 3rd team to facilitate the trade.

Maybe they tried all that, but I don't think they did.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't.

I'm sure the Avs could have easily topped the price the Canes paid for him. If Vegas still didn't want to send Haula to the Avs then the Avs could have used a 3rd team to facilitate the trade.

Maybe they tried all that, but I don't think they did.

Okay. I just think it happens too much - someone here wishes the Avs had made a trade another team made, without thinking if that trade was even possible for us. It's almost always a player traded from a west team to an east team (Gusev, for example).

It's quite possible that Vegas never even offered Huala to any western team, and they might have even said he's not available if the Avs asked. Not every team seems to care about that kind of thing, but go look at Vegas' trade history, and you'll see they seem to greatly prefer to make trades with the east rather than the west.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Okay. I just think it happens too much - someone here wishes the Avs had made a trade another team made, without thinking if that trade was even possible for us. It's almost always a player traded from a west team to an east team (Gusev, for example).

It's quite possible that Vegas never even offered Huala to any western team, and they might have even said he's not available if the Avs asked. Not every team seems to care about that kind of thing, but go look at Vegas' trade history, and you'll see they seem to greatly prefer to make trades with the east rather than the west.
I get that.

But when I see the Avs trade a 2nd and 3rd for Burakovsky while Haula went for a 5th I can't help but think the Avs weren't interested.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I get that.

But when I see the Avs trade a 2nd and 3rd for Burakovsky while Haula went for a 5th I can't help but think the Avs weren't interested.

It could be because he played only 15 games last season. I doubt many team (including the Avs) would offer up much for a player who might not even be healthy enough to play. The Canes took a risk when they got him, which is why they only had to pay a 5th.

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Haula's deal expires as a UFA, Burakovsky will still be a RFA....I think that's the main difference in the trade value there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Stupid lottery.

Draisaitl came into today averaging 25 mins/gm and he's on pace for 27 in this one. We thought MacKinnon's usage last season was too much, even though Bednar didn't have much of a choice, but Tippett is taking it to another level.

Reactions: Boulder Avalanche

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

Stupid lottery.

Draisaitl came into today averaging 25 mins/gm and he's on pace for 27 in this one. We thought MacKinnon's usage last season was too much, even though Bednar didn't have much of a choice, but Tippett is taking it to another level.

That's a hell of a way to score your first. Wow.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Stupid lottery.

I f***ing hate the NHL draft lottery.

Reactions: 5280

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Do the Oilers even put out other lines out there? Seems like McDavid and Draisaitl are out there the entire game

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I know we have to get Franky in at some point, but I would have liked to see Grubauer in again tonight after his hot start.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Watching the Hurricanes and Islanders. Announcer was recounting a story about Niederreiter saying how everyone was commenting how fast MacKinnon was his rookie year and Niederreiter thought he's just as fast. Made me think, yeah, you're fast but no one has MacKinnon's explosiveness.

No matter how you cut it

Niederreiter<MacKinnon

So Niederreiter was sitting there all bent out of shape that MacKinnon was getting all the credit for being fast, because he thought he was just as fast? Guy is living in la la land. He's never been as fast as MacKinnon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kinda feels like Tippett is going to be fine with running McDavid and Draisaitl into the ground the first half of the season in order to build up as much of a playoff push as possible, and maybe during the second half of the season he takes it easier on them.

Either that, or he's a ****ing mad man and is going to play them both 25+ minutes on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Avs_19

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda feels like Tippett is going to be fine with running McDavid and Draisaitl into the ground the first half of the season in order to build up as much of a playoff push as possible, and maybe during the second half of the season he takes it easier on them.

Either that, or he's a ****ing mad man and is going to play them both 25+ minutes on a nightly basis.

What choice does he have other than to ride those two and 37-year-old Mike Smith as much as he can? There are literally no other options. McLellan tried every which way to spread things out. Didn't work.

At some point Klefbom's going to get hurt. Then we'll see if they still hold up.

I noticed in that game that our boy Claude's son Brendan took an enormously dumb penalty that led to the GWG, and Quinn stapled his butt to the bench there afterwards. Pretty sure he's not an NHL player.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What choice does he have other than to ride those two and 37-year-old Mike Smith as much as he can? There are literally no other options. McLellan tried every which way to spread things out. Didn't work.

At some point Klefbom's going to get hurt. Then we'll see if they still hold up.

I noticed in that game that our boy Claude's son Brendan took an enormously dumb penalty that led to the GWG, and Quinn stapled his butt to the bench there afterwards. Pretty sure he's not an NHL player.
Not that he's got much to work with, but the Oilers forward corps this season does look a lot better. They might not produce a ton more, but they're faster and much better on the forecheck this season from the looks of things early on.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not that he's got much to work with, but the Oilers forward corps this season does look a lot better. They might not produce a ton more, but they're faster and much better on the forecheck this season from the looks of things early on.

Well the mere removal of Lucic alone was a huge improvement. I've no doubt that Holland made some minor improvements over Chiarelli's dumpster fire, but I still think their lack of depth will bite them hard eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad