2018-2019 Around the league thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

This line of thinking is always weird to me. Say if they make the playoffs by one point but get bounced in the first round, he's back. However, he could be out if they miss by one point? You see this across all sports.

Lol no wonder the Oilers continue to suck year in and year out. It starts at the top with ownership. It doesn't help when Darryl Katz is buddies with guys like Nicholson, so he obviously would never step in. But enough is enough. If Bob Nicholson can't see what a disaster Peter Chiarelli has been as GM of the Oilers, then he needs to be fired ASAP, too.
There were plenty saying they would have been happy with Girard straight up for Duchene in retrospect.

If that pick ends up being top 10 for Buffalo, I think Thompson + top 10 pick is at least equal to Girard. Obviously Sakic killed the trade and we get a hell of a lot more, but just to put things in perspective.
But what I mean is that if Duchene was traded for the equivalent value of Tage Thompson, Patrik Berglund, Vlad Sobotka and a 1st round pick, I'd be losing my mind. The Sabres are praying the Blues continue to suck, but when the trade happened this wasn't predicted. Like a lot of us say regarding Ottawa, their 2019 pick is gravy whether it's 1st or 31st. The Blues had no intentions of being a bad team after acquiring O'Reilly, and they were basically gifted him on a silver platter by Buffalo.

Reactions: Avs_19

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not sure what's going on here, but Dreger is kicking some Philly journalist asses right now. We don't see that often for journalists to directly contracdict other journalists.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I'm not sure what's going on here, but Dreger is kicking some Philly journalist asses right now. We don't see that often for journalists to directly contracdict other journalists.

Maybe it's because their plane still hasn't landed yet and the brass didn't want to announce it/anything to come out until after they're back from the west coast?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Also Hakstol hasn't even officially be fired yet, so I'm sure they're keeping everything hush until it officially happens.

Plus it's Dreger, be different if it was Bobby Mac or LeBrun saying this.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Generalissimo+Francisco+Franco+is+still+dead.png

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Both wild card spots taken by teams in the Pacific Division. When was the last time it happened?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

So Q is getting paid by the Hawks but if another team is hiring him Hawks stop paying him. That's a bit touchy because even if Philly match his 6M/year, Q is basically working for free for the next 2 years. He'd make the same amount of money staying home. That's a weird system, IMO he should get paid his 6M + whatever the Flyers are offering.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

So Q is getting paid by the Hawks but if another team is hiring him Hawks stop paying him. That's a bit touchy IMO because even if Philly match his 6M/year, Q is basically working for free for the next 2 years. He'd make the same amount of money staying home. That's a weird system, IMO he should get paid his 6M + whatever the Flyers are offering.

I'm going to make a wild guess that he enjoys coaching hockey teams

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What a shitshow the Flyers have become. Either that beat writer is lying through his teeth (and I don't think he is) or the Flyboys couldn't keep things under wraps and let the news leak that Hakstol is gone before they finalized things with Quenneville.

What a weird organization. Even if you think the firing of Hextall was justified, why in hell did they fire everyone EXCEPT Hak and Lappy!? That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. And what's worse, Fletcher brought along his crony-in-chief Flahr, who helmed a great number of mediocre drafts for Minnesota.

Will Fletcher turn things around in Philly? No idea...I think he's a reasonably competent GM who was hamstrung by two crippling contracts in Minny. But I just have the feeling we're going back to the usual "TRADE EVERYONE" hijinks we're used to seeing in Philly where they help everyone else win the hardware.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Apparently part of the reason Hextall was fired was that he refused to fire Hakstol, yet they still aren't doing it..

I wonder if the news leaking about him + Q threw a wrench into things.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He has the lowest since expansion alongside Mikita. Mikita did it in 72 games, Benn needed 82. By far the least impressive scoring title.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He has the lowest since expansion alongside Mikita. Mikita did it in 72 games, Benn needed 82. By far the least impressive scoring title.

Yeah that was such a weird year. A lot of big name players had down years. And the you have Hudler like 6th in scoring with 76 pts and Foligno in 10th with 73 pts.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Flyers sure are dragging this out. Just put Hakstol out of his misery already.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

This is such a weird season and it is hard to say if this is a new normal... if the goalies can't adjust to the new pads, I think we might need to start adding 15-20% to expectations of players. A good 2nd liner might have to produce 60-65 points instead of 50. A first liner might be expected to be a PPG+ player instead of a 65-70 point guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad