2018-2019 Around the league thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Is this Ken Hitchcock's secret to success? "I believe in the rhythm and two guys."

Not really any kind of revelation from Hitch, but he makes a solid point about goal-tending, and even makes a reference to how it impacts Western teams differently.

Our goalies haven't been top notch all year, but they've contributed to our positive record, and our slumps. If there was ever a case to try and keep both Varly and Grubs I think it's laid out in that article.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Vasilevskyi went nuts last night, he basically singlehandedly beat the Leafs. I don't understand why the Leafs have Matthews on the left and Marner on the right on their first PP unit. Wouldn't it be better to switch them?
Neither has a great one timer. Marner's vision is also better served from the right half wall, while Matthews' shot is better served from the left where he can walk in and drag it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Someone pointed out that Babs does this weird thing where he absolutely stacks that top PP unit and then puts the 2nd unit out for a ton of time. It was something like 57% for the top unit, which is just plain strange. Why would you not work the living hell out of that top unit? It's easily one of most talented in the league.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are you kidding me? The guy comes in and essentially tells the GM and scouts they're not picking any defenseman in the first round while he's there, and now he's asking Montreal to switch jerseys because he doesn't like his road whites?

This is gonna be a train wreck in Carolina.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This "aging" Ovie just beat his career-year in goals Ovie at the same number of games. Unbelievable considering when he first entered the league as a powerforward.

Vasilevskyi went nuts last night, he basically singlehandedly beat the Leafs. I don't understand why the Leafs have Matthews on the left and Marner on the right on their first PP unit. Wouldn't it be better to switch them?
I would love to see a Maple Leafs and Lightning series, preferably a conference finals, but I think one of them would have to be a wildcard team.

Reactions: Hesher

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This "aging" Ovie just beat his career-year in goals Ovie at the same number of games. Unbelievable considering when he first entered the league as a powerforward.

I would love to see a Maple Leafs and Lightning series, preferably a conference finals, but I think one of them would have to be a wildcard team.

Ovi is a freak of nature. After seeing Icarus I'm not entirely sure he's a natural freak of nature, but he's still one of the all time greats. Love watching him play hockey.

Reactions: S E P H

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I do hope Ovechkin at least gets close to Gretzky's mark of 894. He has his cup, he has his personal trophies, I think he's chasing one thing and one thing only now: Gretzky. And deep down, I think he knows he has a legitimate shot if he can stay healthy and continue to perform at an elite level.

Connor McDavid tied MacKinnon in points earlier tonight. Only a matter of time IMO until he takes over 1st from Mikko.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I do hope Ovechkin at least gets close to Gretzky's mark of 894. He has his cup, he has his personal trophies, I think he's chasing one thing and one thing only now: Gretzky. And deep down, I think he knows he has a legitimate shot if he can stay healthy and continue to perform at an elite level.

Connor McDavid tied MacKinnon in points earlier tonight. Only a matter of time IMO until he takes over 1st from Mikko.

I'm excited that Mikko and MacKinnon are leading in points, but it was always McDavids to lose. I think he's got the Art Ross on lock for the foreseeable future.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Ovechkin hitting 900 would be so cool. If he has career like Selanne or Jagr he can easily do it!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Seems like the networks only show the Wild bench when Boudreau looks like this
tenor.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The pick the Blues owe the Sabres (same conditions as Avs/Sens) could turn it around and make it a win but right now the Sabres have nothing to show for the trade. Thankfully for Botterill, their great start combined with the Blues terrible start has taken a lot of heat off him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

The pick the Blues owe the Sabres (same conditions as Avs/Sens) could turn it around and make it a win but right now the Sabres have nothing to show for the trade. Thankfully for Botterill, their great start combined with the Blues terrible start has taken a lot of heat off him.

Eh, overall Buffalo is happy with it, even with the poor return. Similar to how Duchene leaving kick started our success.

The value was garbage, but overall i'm sure Sabres fans would do it 10/10 times.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Eh, overall Buffalo is happy with it, even with the poor return. Similar to how Duchene leaving kick started our success.

The value was garbage, but overall i'm sure Sabres fans would do it 10/10 times.
I mean, I would still be angry to this day if we traded Matt Duchene for the return that Buffalo got.

No two ways about it, the return was disgustingly bad for the Sabres. I refuse to believe that is the best they could get.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

This line of thinking is always weird to me. Say if they make the playoffs by one point but get bounced in the first round, he's back. However, he could be out if they miss by one point? You see this across all sports.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

This line of thinking is always weird to me. Say if they make the playoffs by one point but get bounced in the first round, he's back. However, he could be out if they miss by one point? You see this across all sports.

It's interesting how this is announced already. I guess if they don't make it on the last day Chiarelli just walks out the door.

Reactions: hooverdam

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That will forever be a heinous trade for the Sabres. They practically gave O'Reilly away for nothing.

He traded him for a B prospect, (what he believed to be) a late 1st and 2 cap dumps. That's the worst trade in recent era IMO. Worse than the Hall for Larsson trade. At least at the time Larsson was seen as a D with potential.

That was a really, really bad trade from Buffalo.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
This sport is bizarre about labor practices, man. Like imagine if your boss told everyone in a meeting that if you don't meet x accomplishment by y date, you're going to get fired. What the f***. Dorion did something similar to Boucher last year, basically telling the press that if Boucher didn't change these specific things about his coaching, he would be fired. That was probably a toothless threat because Melnyk isn't going to pay another coach not to coach for them, but it's the same principle.

Chiarelli and Boucher are both bad at their jobs but they have bosses that are far worse in different ways.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The fact that he's even considering bringing him back is pretty telling how this old boys club culture just won't go away in Edmonton.

He should have already been let go, they've gone nowhere under him. He shouldn't have been afforded the opportunity to replace another coach. He traded away a Hart trophy winner, and turned Eberle into Strome, who he then turned into Ryan Spooner who was playing on the Rangers 4th line, and is now on pace for 13 points.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I mean, I would still be angry to this day if we traded Matt Duchene for the return that Buffalo got.

No two ways about it, the return was disgustingly bad for the Sabres. I refuse to believe that is the best they could get.

There were plenty saying they would have been happy with Girard straight up for Duchene in retrospect.

If that pick ends up being top 10 for Buffalo, I think Thompson + top 10 pick is at least equal to Girard. Obviously Sakic killed the trade and we get a hell of a lot more, but just to put things in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce