2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You haven't watched them play much this season have you
Ten games and four have had to go into extra time; a 40% amount. 6 wins and half they've had to win in extra time for 50%.

They're not a good team, but any team with McDavid should always be considered a playoff chance club.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ten games and four have had to go into extra time; a 40% amount. 6 wins and half they've had to win in extra time for 50%.

They're not a good team, but any team with McDavid should always be considered a playoff chance club.
I don't know why you're discounting their wins in overtime - it's not like they rope-a-dope'd every game praying for a miracle and then waiting for OT.

They've beaten Boston, Winnipeg, Nashville, Washington, and Chicago this season and went toe-to-toe with Pittsburgh. It's not like they're playing cellar dwellers here; they've had a very tough schedule to start.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know why you're discounting their wins in overtime - it's not like they rope-a-dope'd every game praying for a miracle and then waiting for OT.

They've beaten Boston, Winnipeg, Nashville, Washington, and Chicago this season and went toe-to-toe with Pittsburgh. It's not like they're playing cellar dwellers here; they've had a very tough schedule to start.
No argument against some of the teams they beat, however...

Look at the goalers they played Halak (L), Lundqvist (W, bad team though), Hellebuyck (W), Halak (W), Saros (W), Murray (L), Holtby (W), Saros (W), and Ward (W).

Played against three starting goalers (going to leave out Lundqvist since Rangers are really bad) in nine games teams might be taking them lightly. Won two of those which by all means is credit due, but they might be getting Ottawa Senators treatment where teams think they can half-ass it against them. Which doesn't work, the parity is too good in the NHL to allow that to happen.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No argument against some of the teams they beat, however...

Look at the goalers they played Halak (L), Lundqvist (W, bad team though), Hellebuyck (W), Halak (W), Saros (W), Murray (L), Holtby (W), Saros (W), and Ward (W).

Played against three starting goalers (going to leave out Lundqvist since Rangers are really bad) in nine games teams might be taking them lightly. Won two of those which by all means is credit due, but they might be getting Ottawa Senators treatment where teams think they can half-ass it against them. Which doesn't work, the parity is too good in the NHL to allow that to happen.
Halak has been much, much better than Rask this season, so that argument doesn't work based on their levels of play. So Halak, Hellebuyck, Holtby, and Murray, and they went 3-2 in those games.

I'm not ready to jump aboard the Oilers bandwagon even though I did say they'd make the playoffs before the start of the season, but I think you're trying to discredit their play a bit too much.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Matthews expected to miss at least 4 weeks with shoulder injury.

Wonder if it will impact Nylander's situation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Halak has been much, much better than Rask this season, so that argument doesn't work based on their levels of play. So Halak, Hellebuyck, Holtby, and Murray, and they went 3-2 in those games.

I'm not ready to jump aboard the Oilers bandwagon even though I did say they'd make the playoffs before the start of the season, but I think you're trying to discredit their play a bit too much.
You've predicted them in the playoffs like every single year, lol. Yeah of course, I hate that team and fanbase so I am going to be one of the last to change his opinion and I wish nothing but failure on them and the Wild.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You've predicted them in the playoffs like every single year, lol. Yeah of course, I hate that team and fanbase so I am going to be one of the last to change his opinion and I wish nothing but failure on them and the Wild.
Well, yeah, since McDavid's 2nd year in the league I've predicted them in the playoffs, and they've made it 1/2 years, this being the 3rd.

I know you hate them, which is why I can't really take what you say seriously when discrediting them. It's like when you try to discredit Holtby in comparison to Bobrovsky.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well, yeah, since McDavid's 2nd year in the league I've predicted them in the playoffs, and they've made it 1/2 years, this being the 3rd.

I know you hate them, which is why I can't really take what you say seriously when discrediting them. It's like when you try to discredit Holtby in comparison to Bobrovsky.
And you're obnoxiously obsessed with them in this thread and I still remember the time when you got really angry at Kesler/refs when the Oilers blew a 3-0 lead (or whatever it was) with five minutes remaining. Lol.

Bobrovsky is better than Holtby though...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And you're obnoxiously obsessed with them in this thread and I still remember the time when you got really angry at Kesler when the Oilers blew a 3-0 lead (or whatever it was) with five minutes remaining. Lol.

Bobrovsky is better than Holtby though...
I mean, I don't deny following them because I live in the city - it's kind of hard not to. But to say obnoxiously obsessed is a little uncalled for.

You're also wrong on Bobrovsky, as usual, but that's not going to change. You've been proven wrong factually many, many times yet continue to deny it.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
What is it about Columbus that players want to leave there?
Before you could say that the team was mediocre and guys like Nash or Carter wanted to play for a winner. Foote got homesick, despite being their captain. But lately they've looked fairly good, at least playoff-ready, but you've still got star power draining from the team. Johanson wanted out. Bobrovsky apparently wants out. No one thinks Panarin will actually stay. There really is no constant throughout these eras, save for the franchise itself. Is it location? Ownership? Just complete clownshoes for decades on every level?

They had some infamous issues with Zherdev and Filatov, which kinda defined them a decade ago, but it's never really been getting talent in that's the problem, it's been retaining it. They've been in the league almost 30 years now, and the closest thing they've had to a franchise player was a guy who walked out on them.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What is it about Columbus that players want to leave there?

Full disclosure: I've never been there. But from the outside, Columbus is like Colorado or Minnessota without the beautiful outdoor. No prestige like NYC or LA, no ocean like the teams on the coasts. They also don't even get a tax break like Nashville or Dallas nor the team have any history of success. It's like the Winnipeg of the US without the contender status. Still pretty cold during the winter, too.

So yeah, I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to be the most inspiring place to play for a young athlete.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Full disclosure: I've never been there. But from the outside, Columbus is like Colorado or Minnessota without the beautiful outdoor. No prestige like NYC or LA, no ocean like the teams on the coasts. They also don't even get a tax break like Nashville or Dallas nor the team have any history of success. It's like the Winnipeg of the US without the contender status. Still pretty cold during the winter, too.

So yeah, I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to be the most inspiring place to play for a young athlete.

How dare you lump us in with those vermin.

Reactions: Murzu and Hennessy

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't matter now because they won the game and got the empty netter with 5 seconds left, but the Leafs/Flames game could have been real controversial tonight.

Flames up 2-1 with 1:21 left, Morgan Rielly shoots from the point and I believe it was Zach Hyman that tips it. He thinks he scores, and so do the rest of the Leafs, and they start celebrating as the goal horn goes on. However, the Flames defensemen looks behind the net and realizes the puck didn't go in; it just somehow sat on the back mesh of the net. Flames started skating up ice and had an empty net opportunity, only for it to be blown dead.

Imagine the Leafs come back to tie that game and ultimately win it in OT.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really don't think the Canucks will be as bad as everyone said they would be. They have some really legit talent up front. Still not a playoff team but they're going to catch a lot of teams by surprise with their skill.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pettersson and Boeser are so good they're going to overcome their own front office's every attempt to ice an old, slow, unskilled squad. Of course even Connor McDavid couldn't help the Oilers.

If Thatcher Demko actually pans out and is really good, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad