2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Between finally getting a Toronto boy to come home and having a stat whacker gm, Leafs fans will become even more insufferable than they were during the Burke era. :banghead:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nice to see the odd ball deals are going to carry on with Lou at the helm of the Isles.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Roussel 4 years, Komarov 4 years, Beagle 4 years, Ross Johnston 4 years...WTF is happening, none of these guys should get more than 2.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Between finally getting a Toronto boy to come home and having a stat whacker gm, Leafs fans will become even more insufferable than they were during the Burke era. :banghead:

That GM's going to be a good one. Avs were so close to getting him too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'll admit that I'm surprised that Orpik hasn't re-signed (yet) with Washington at a very low cap hit after being bought out by us. I thought that was the plan all along...

Unless they want to wait a little to not make it too obvious.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll admit that I'm surprised that Orpik hasn't re-signed (yet) with Washington at a very low cap hit after being bought out by us. I thought that was the plan all along...

Unless they want to wait a little to not make it too obvious.

He was actually pretty bad for them this year, I think he was out no matter what, especially with Kempny being re-upped.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That GM's going to be a good one. Avs were so close to getting him too.

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. I mean I dont think anyone should be crediting him with the Tavares signing. It's pretty obvious to me with how it all played out that Tavares had his mind set on going home for a while. I'm really not buying the stuff about him not changing his mind until late in the process. I think he had himself set on TO for a few weeks at least if not longer.

So far Dubas really hasn't done anything at the NHL level to suggest he's going to be good or bad, as he really hasn't done anything.

Now, that said. I am a huge fan of Chayka and thing he has quietly done some fantastic work in Arizona(Results aren't there yet but the foundation he has built is very strong), and given that Dubas and Chayka are from the same analytical background and heavy into the numbers, I expect Dubas to be pretty good as well. But nothing yet suggests that will happen, he hasn't done a thing yet.

It's about time NHL owners start trending towards the more educated, statistical background GMs instead of the old boys club hires that seem to happen right now with retired players and what not. We're fortunate enough that after a few bumps and learning points along the way Sakic really seems to have figured things out. But there's been a ridiculously high number of bad GMs in the NHL for a long time because of the old boys club mentality that exists across the league.

The quicker teams can adapt the baseball approach of accepting the importance of analytics and advanced stats and putting properly educated people in major positions, the quicker franchises are going to get better and better across the league.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. I mean I dont think anyone should be crediting him with the Tavares signing. It's pretty obvious to me with how it all played out that Tavares had his mind set on going home for a while. I'm really not buying the stuff about him not changing his mind until late in the process. I think he had himself set on TO for a few weeks at least if not longer.

So far Dubas really hasn't done anything at the NHL level to suggest he's going to be good or bad, as he really hasn't done anything.

Now, that said. I am a huge fan of Chayka and thing he has quietly done some fantastic work in Arizona(Results aren't there yet but the foundation he has built is very strong), and given that Dubas and Chayka are from the same analytical background and heavy into the numbers, I expect Dubas to be pretty good as well. But nothing yet suggests that will happen, he hasn't done a thing yet.

It's about time NHL owners start trending towards the more educated, statistical background GMs instead of the old boys club hires that seem to happen right now with retired players and what not. We're fortunate enough that after a few bumps and learning points along the way Sakic really seems to have figured things out. But there's been a ridiculously high number of bad GMs in the NHL for a long time because of the old boys club mentality that exists across the league.

The quicker teams can adapt the baseball approach of accepting the importance of analytics and advanced stats and putting properly educated people in major positions, the quicker franchises are going to get better and better across the league.

Dubas was the GM of the Marlies team that dominated the AHL this season, he created multiple departments inside the Toronto Maple Leafs including Analytics, Sports and Science, etc. He's worked the draft, he got rid of contracts, and he was the 1st guy Shanahan hired to help lead the rebuild.

You can act like Tavares was a sure thing, but on June 25 you were talking about giving Tampa cap relief so they could sign him. Hindsight is 50/50.

Had it not been for Shanahan, Dubas, and Hunter the Leafs would not have been good enough to actually attract Tavares. Those 3 and Babcock are the men behind the Maple Leafs.

Give him credit, don't give him credit, it doesn't matter. Everyone looking through an unbiased lens knows exactly what he's done.

Maybe Chayka who has been picking top 10 since becoming GM years ago will eventually become as good as Dubas someday.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
His success with the Marlies is so overstated it's hilarious. Imagine a team with unlimited budget and great location - especially compared to some AHL teams - attracting tonnes of AHL stars, such a success.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Chayka is a classic example of the failures of a pure number cruncher as a GM. That team is continually better on paper than it is on the ice because he has no conception of a team identity or culture. There's a reason why his team is always a failure, and it's not bad luck.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

He's a stat whacker. He'll get credit for the Sun rising in the East.

Reactions: arun

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Once the Coyotes got consistent goaltending from Raanta down the stretch they started to play pretty well. Combine that with getting Chucky for Domi and getting Grabner... I'd expect them to contend for the Wild Card this next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad