2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Great career, wish he never set foot in Denver, though. What an utterly uninspired player he was during his 2.5 years here, just happily collecting a pay cheque and never looking like he gave a single shred of a **** unless it was a random fight.

I'll go ahead and disagree w/ this here.

I thought he was perfectly fine his first season here, the other 1.5 were bad though, unfortunately.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Iggy was one of the greatest goalscorers of the modern era. 600 goals with his prime coming during a low-scoring era is a truly impressive feat. It sucks that we only got him when he was mostly out of gas.

member 116861

Great career, wish he never set foot in Denver, though. What an utterly uninspired player he was during his 2.5 years here, just happily collecting a pay cheque and never looking like he gave a single shred of a **** unless it was a random fight.

Agree 1000 %

Reactions: Murzu

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jason Zucker re-ups with Minnesota. 5 Years, 5.5M per season. This is basically the team Minnesota has moving forward barring trades. They have virtually no room to work with unless salary is moved out.

I think the decline of the Minnesota Wild is about to begin.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll go ahead and disagree w/ this here.

I thought he was perfectly fine his first season here, the other 1.5 were bad though, unfortunately.

Yeah, that was my impression as well. He put up 28 goals that first season I believe, he was more than adequate. I'd say the team as a whole was plain uninspired down the stretch, I'm not necessarily gonna pin that on him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jason Zucker re-ups with Minnesota. 5 Years, 5.5M per season. This is basically the team Minnesota has moving forward barring trades. They have virtually no room to work with unless salary is moved out.

Right now, the Wild are locked into "good but not great". When guys like Suter, Parise, and Staal start to decline, they will be locked into "bad, but not bad enough to get top picks". :popcorn:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's a pretty nice deal for the Wild if last season wasn't a fluke. Even if he never reaches 60 points again, he's still a good two-way winger who can get you 20+ goals.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That’s insane. Not only the money but he also got term, more than half the contract in signing bonus, and a modified NTC.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They assumed that he's going to be a 2nd line power forward for the next 6 years. That's a hell of a gamble.

Reactions: McMetal

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
They assumed that he's going to be a 2nd line power forward for the next 6 years. That's a hell of a gamble.
Played a lot of 1st line , he was a beast in the playoffs and big part of why they won the cup. Wish he was an Av

Reactions: arun

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
His point total shouldn't even be mentioned IMO, people focus on that on the main board and that's truly facepalm worthy. That's not why they are paying him that money, they are paying him with the hope that he'll be an absolute top 6 monster like he was in the playoffs.

35 points from Tom Wilson isn't the same as 35 points from Colin Wilson. All points aren't equal.

If he keeps playing like he was playing in the playoffs he's worth that contract. That's a huge "if" though.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Scotlander

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
His point total shouldn't even be mentioned IMO, people focus on that on the main board and that's truly facepalm worthy. That's not why they are paying him that money, they are paying him with the hope that he'll be an absolute top 6 monster like he was in the playoffs.

35 points from Tom Wilson isn't the same as 35 points from Colin Wilson. All points aren't equal.

If he keeps playing like he was playing in the playoffs he's worth that contract. That's a huge "if" though.
What about the 19 points last year? Should that be mentioned?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He does bring intimidation since he's reckless, but most players who do (Torres, Cooke) end up having problems with Department of Player Safety eventually and then they start adding to each suspension. The player then has the option of dialing down the recklessness or sit a lot of games.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They're clearly hoping hes this generations Lucic.. That is a huge f***ing gamble though for an RFA. Their staff must believe that if they give him a top six role going forward he can duplicate what he did in the playoffs.

When he was drafted he wasn't just supposed to be a 4th line fighter though. Everyone was hoping he would develop into a Lucic type, but they started him in the NHL way earlier than anyone thought.

Should be interesting to watch and see if they made the right bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad