2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eh, Columbus has enough talent around that they can trade Panarin and still compete pretty soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.
I don't see that... the only gamebreaking forward they have is Panarin and nobody in their system looks to have that ability either. They have a nice collection of talent and could be a decent team and even compete for the playoffs... I wouldn't see them actually contending though.

The Bob point of crumbling is a solid one, but I think if Panarin is leaving, this is their one year to really contend... this also brings back shades of last year's conversations around Duchene. Columbus should have paid up for a center last year and tried to make it 2 runs.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I wouldn’t be selling the blues short. The blues have a ton of talent on their roster. Pietrangelo is an absolute monster, vladdy is also a beast. A plethora of good to excellent 2nd line talent. Solid defense and streaky goaltending. Anything could happen with them, but I wouldn’t be sleeping on them that’s for sure

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Columbus are in the position to go for it. They probably have to spend a lot of assets to strengthen the team and then they'll be looking at five years of pain afterwards.

Are they, even with Bob and Panarin, a top six-seven team in the league?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think they are. Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh imo are all clearly better in the East. Nashville, Winnipeg, and San Jose are better in the West. Then you've got debatable teams like Vegas, Los Angeles, Washington, Philadelphia, and Florida.

Now, if Columbus goes all out and decides to make a play for players like Pacioretty and Skinner, I can see them making a strong push. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve their centre issues. A guy like Brandon Dubinsky will likely play a ton even though the dude is finished.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the first and most important ingredient for a Stanley Cup contender is an elite or near-elite 1-2 punch at center. I'm not sure Columbus has even one true top-flight center. Wennberg's struggles last season were so bad they had to use Foligno there after spending a decade on the left wing.

They're not a contender, not yet. And if Panarin leaves they won't be for a good long while.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Columbus are in the position to go for it. They probably have to spend a lot of assets to strengthen the team and then they'll be looking at five years of pain afterwards.

Are they, even with Bob and Panarin, a top six-seven team in the league?

I think they can get close to that area... and then you'd hope they just get hot at the right time. Make a play for Duchene (2019 1st + Foudy starts the conversation). Then go after Skinner with a conditional 2020 1st and prospect/roster player.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Blue Jackets really should have been a team in on ROR. Who knows if they tried, but he'd help that team a lot and you just know Torts would adore him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Columbus believes Panarin is gone after next season then I'd trade him. They have a good team and could be a contender but it's tough to lose a star for nothing.

Reactions: Murzu

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Went and watched a few pros play a drop in today at the ice ranch bc I was missing some hockey. Man Brandon Carlo looks good even playing at 20%. Butcher was there, holy shit his wrist shot is ridiculous in person. Bozak was there even though he looked like one of the better players so happy the Avs didnt bite on that. Old friend of the show Quincey was there as well and looks slower than ever. Tory Terry from the ducks has some slick hands but man he is tiny.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I love behind the scenes draft videos. Nothing juicy in this one but still pretty damn good.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Went and watched a few pros play a drop in today at the ice ranch bc I was missing some hockey. Man Brandon Carlo looks good even playing at 20%. Butcher was there, holy **** his wrist shot is ridiculous in person. Bozak was there even though he looked like one of the better players so happy the Avs didnt bite on that. Old friend of the show Quincey was there as well and looks slower than ever. Tory Terry from the ducks has some slick hands but man he is tiny.

My best friend from high school grew up playing with Terry haha.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh, good for him, I never had a problem with him as a player, I just thought the Avs were dumb giving him and Malkin/Stuart/Holden three year deals in 2014. And all of those contracts ended up being mistakes.

Rangers are rebuilding, so keeping him around as your 13th forward/locker room guy should be fine. I hope he finds work in hockey and sticks around after his playing career is over in some capacity.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eh, good for him, I never had a problem with him as a player, I just thought the Avs were dumb giving him and Malkin/Stuart/Holden three year deals in 2014. And all of those contracts ended up being mistakes.

Rangers are rebuilding, so keeping him around as your 13th forward/locker room guy should be fine. I hope he finds work in hockey and sticks around after his playing career is over in some capacity.

McLeod would be great in TV lol

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad